New Hunting Boots
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: New Hunting Boots

Gun Wizard
    Member #

New Hunting Boots

So I bought them. Brand new. I wanted to buy UK made, but didn't find any. Well I did, but it turned out they were 'UK designed' and made in China. I am sure they were OK, but, not for me. I ended with German made, Meindl. I went for a good model, leather upper with leather lining. I am not a fan of Gortex in boots, and accept that I have to keep the leather waxed to remain waterproof. Already given the new boots a treatment.

I am very happy with them but have a couple of thoughts to share. First, its a real shame I failed to source good outdoor boots made in the UK. How can we support our own if our own arnt making things? Second, its really worth paying the extra for quality in footwear. Most especially footwear you are going to depend on. Spend as much as you can afford to.

Funny, I told the guy in the store to take care in his advice as this was to be 'the last pair of boots I would ever buy'. He looked confused, until I told him I was mid 60's and expected them to last longer than I might.... He seemed to like that.
    Last edited by tranteruk; 03-23-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Gunfighter
    Member #
    It is never a good idea to find the cheapest footwear. Spend the money wear needed and the boots last for years if taken care of. My leather hunting boots are over 15 years old and have gone hundreds of miles through countless seasons. Mine are from Cabelas 15 years ago and are no longer made nor would I recommend products from there anymore. I've always heard great things about Red Wing boots and those will probably be my next purchase when these finally wear out. It's like everything though and things are not built like they used to be; they just don't last as long now.
    Last edited by Shooter4570; 03-24-2019 at 01:45 PM.
    Team 45-70
    Team 1894
    NRA Lifetime/Endowment Member
    USMC 0331

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have a pair of Red Wing Irish Setters. Had them for over 25 years. Never let me down. The key is lots of room in the boxy toe. I can wiggle my toes and they stay warm. Their old slogan was: Oil 'em down regular, and I do. They are a bit spendy now, but you can be buried in them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Meindl makes very good hunting boots. A hunting buddy and his brothers all wears Meindl winter hunting boots for deer season.

I have various brands of boots.. Danner, Irish Setter/Red Wing, Cabelas & Mucks for various types of hunts in various seasons.
    I'm a firm believer in buying good boots. Once you break-in a good pair of boots, it's hard to let them go.

Not to mention, nothing ruins a hunt faster than standing in the woods for hours in cold/ wet uncomfortable cheap boots.
    Last edited by maki00; 03-24-2019 at 10:26 AM.
    Mark Risch, turbobug, M700 and 7 others like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Risch View Post
    I have a pair of Red Wing Irish Setters. Had them for over 25 years. Never let me down. The key is lots of room in the boxy toe. I can wiggle my toes and they stay warm. Their old slogan was: Oil 'em down regular, and I do. They are a bit spendy now, but you can be buried in them.
    I believe Irish setters have moved to China now. It is getting harder to support your own as Tranter mentions. I have a pair of Danners I broke in and they are not bad. Good boots are as important as the gun. When I hunt the uplands I have had days where I don't get a shot, but I generally walk quite a ways.

DEP

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Tranter you can't go wrong with Meindl, I have my 4th pair of Meindl Army boots still in the box. These are a direct replacement for our army boot, I get about 4 years out of a pair, remember these are on my feet 7 days a week. The bramble does for the uppers and the flint hardcore forestry extraction tracks do for the soles. And they get dubbin weakly, they are the most comfortable supportive field boots I have ever had.
    VinceA, Sambane, olmarlin and 4 others like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Lightbulb

There are certainly 3 or 4 parts of your body that you don't want to go cheap. Start with the boots. Don't forget quality socks, and if you're inclined to be on the move, a sock liner and a few extra pairs in your pack in case they get sweat-wet and you want to change them. Gloves, keep your hands warm. Head, quality head wear and of few extra changes in your pack. Of course, if your core temperature is COLD you won't be out there very long. Dress in layers so you can adjust what you are wearing as the temperature changes.

As I have gotten older than I ever expected to live, I don't go out much in temps under 20 degrees. Its windy around the mountains where I live and that can chill you to the bone. Too cold for me and most wildlife are hunkered down trying to stay warm. They are smarter than many of us people that should know better.

Danner has always made great boots, but I have not checked where they are made now and what they cost these days.

Some of the boots and clothing I bought from LL Bean 40 years ago are still solid and wearable, but of course I'm BIGGER than I use to be and have been trying to lose weight so I don't have to buy bigger clothes.

Cheers!

Mike T.
    Last edited by miket156; 03-24-2019 at 03:55 PM.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by miket156 View Post

As I have gotten older than I ever expected to live,

Cheers!

Mike T.
    Me too. If I knew I would survive this long I may have made better plans. Or some plans. Ah well, there are some still out there who would love to remedy the situation..
    miket156, Sambane, M700 and 2 others like this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by miket156 View Post

Danner has always made great boots, but I have not checked where they are made now and what they cost these days.
    Danner imports some of their boots, and makes some of their boots here in the USA. They're pretty good about showing which is which in their online catalog. If you want made-in-America Danners, you can still get them, and they're still good boots.

Regards, Guy
    miket156, northmn and Sambane like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I looked up Meindl boots and was surprised as they are about the same price as Danners. About the only advantage I can see for Danners is that I would have to buy Meindls through Amazon or Cabelas and I can get Danners locally. I will not buy boots mail order, but have to try them on. Somehwere along the line, boot sizes have lost any resemblence to standardization. A size 9 or 10 does not fit the same across the brands.

DEP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links