New Hunting Boots - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: New Hunting Boots

Wrangler
    Member #
    I have a wide foot and I've never found anything other than Wolverine Boots that fit quite right. I have had quite a few pair down through the years. I generally get 15 years from a pair of hunting boots and work boots. I actually like the Gortex lined. I have 600gr in my hunting boots and 400gr in my walking boots. I'm good down to about 10* with my hunting boots when still hunting. If it gets colder than that...I then walk a bit.

I use mink oil/silicon wax on my boots...rarely do I get wet feet...and when I do, its my own fault. (you know...9" boots and 10" swamp....doncha know)

redhawk
    Last edited by redhawk0; 03-26-2019 at 09:49 AM.
    The only stupid question...is the unasked one.

Not all who wander....are lost.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tranteruk View Post
    So I bought them. Brand new. I wanted to buy UK made, but didn't find any. Well I did, but it turned out they were 'UK designed' and made in China. I am sure they were OK, but, not for me. I ended with German made, Meindl. I went for a good model, leather upper with leather lining. I am not a fan of Gortex in boots, and accept that I have to keep the leather waxed to remain waterproof. Already given the new boots a treatment.

I am very happy with them but have a couple of thoughts to share. First, its a real shame I failed to source good outdoor boots made in the UK. How can we support our own if our own arnt making things? Second, its really worth paying the extra for quality in footwear. Most especially footwear you are going to depend on. Spend as much as you can afford to.

Funny, I told the guy in the store to take care in his advice as this was to be 'the last pair of boots I would ever buy'. He looked confused, until I told him I was mid 60's and expected them to last longer than I might.... He seemed to like that.
    I need new hunting boots, but at age 78 and reading the above; I guess I'll just road hunt and wear my old leather bedroom slippers and robe! Don't want the mortician working up a sweat unlacing my hunting boots.
    tranteruk likes this.
    USN RET Team 35 member #33

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links