2018 Success - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: 2018 Success

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Did you get to weigh him? His body seems "small" if thats possible for your area lol. Perhaps that boy wasn't done growing up yet lol. He is a magnificent buck and I hope his genes benefit you and yours future hunts.
    Dr. A likes this.

Member #
    DT, thanks, and funny, as I just got done looking at your two bucks from a couple of years. Great looking bucks! As in awe and surprised as I was, I wasn't surprised when I went to the taxidermist and found two bucks ahead of me over 200 inches. They were not typical, and the taxi thought that was important. I wondered what you thought of this buck and what you thought of his age. He is not as old as his antlers would suggest. He weighs just around 160# I would guess. The 3 year olds Dwarf him size wise.

And finally,
    This is a large mature buck with very narrow antlers. I don't particularly like his genetics. Given the chance, would you cull him from the herd?
    .DIRTY-.THIRTY likes this.

Member #
    Just saw your above post. He has lost weight and was smooth mouthed. Never a giant buck, he was still as large as me (250 #) or just a little less. I am 6ft 6 inches, and am not holding the antlers way in front of my face. The buck from the year before was way over 300#
    Last edited by Dr. A; 11-27-2018 at 04:52 PM.
    .DIRTY-.THIRTY likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    It is simply amazing the size of those deer. In my opinion culling any deer would depend on the size area you own and the attitudes of the surrounding property owners, my thoughts being why bother when the area to be controlled is out of your control. His antlers do not reflect that of a deer to equal or surpass the buck you just killed but who knows exactly what his bloodline has had in it, he may throw fawns that make booners is my personal opinion on deer like that. I am at best only a part time deer philosopher though so ymmv... I am not a student of QDM nor read up on QDM, I know little of its beliefs. Your trophy wall shows a lot of something going right so keep on keeping on. I hunt pure forest deer, no ag, no fields mostly private land joining national forest, a lot of what today is rare old growth forest on the national forest side along with old growth/thicket logged private that borders- I prefer the big timber areas. The first week of Nov I had a beautiful 140" buck at 10 yards... 10 yards behind me i'm afraid... I bowhunt on the ground, no blind, no bait. It was drizzling rain and a squirrel freaked out so I suspected something behind me. He was amazing! After he spooked he stood at 70 yards letting me fully admire him, only one trail cam pic of him since with the cam placed over a large scrape and rub less than 200 yards from where I saw him and that one pic was during the night. Other than that and killing few does with my old Martin compound it has been small bucks and you saw my pistol buck story.
    Last edited by .DIRTY-.THIRTY; 11-28-2018 at 11:59 AM.
    Dr. A and Vooch like this.

Member #
    Got my mount back for this guy today. Came out as well as it could have I thought.

mrguvna, Ret_Eng and M700 like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Wow! Excellent.

You sir, have bagged a buck the likes of which most of us will never see. Congratulations!

And it seems to me that the taxidermist did a fine job. A mount to proudly display.

Guy

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Great deer and mount. Have you had it scored?
    Team .22 magnum #189
    Team LeverMatic

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links