Leather ammo/ cartridge belt for pheasant hunting?
Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By maki00
  • 5 Post By HIKayaker
  • 1 Post By Judson
  • 2 Post By Judson

Thread: Leather ammo/ cartridge belt for pheasant hunting?

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Leather ammo/ cartridge belt for pheasant hunting?

Hello everyone. A friend got me into pheasant hunting and I am hooked. I purchased a game vest that have large pockets with elastic cartridge loops to hold 5 shells on each side.
    It works fine, but I was wondering if any of the seasoned upland hunters had any advice/experience with using a (leather) ammo belt for hunting.
    I would still use the vest for the rear game bag & carrying a bottle of water, etc..
    Thank you everyone.
    Last edited by maki00; 12-27-2017 at 10:51 PM.
    DRSLYR, MidBigWest and lever30 like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I always preferred carrying my extras loose in the front pockets with the shell loops. They're easier to access that way than they would be from a belt. I'd be afraid of losing a few out of a belt. And a belt could chafe-either around the waist or worn as a bandoleer-during all that walking. Besides, you'll have plenty of time to reload after shooting your two or three in the gun.

It's easy to load the loops full, then a half box in each pocket, plus what's in the gun. Do you need more than 37 or 38 rounds in a morning? You can restock back at the truck during lunch.
    Last edited by HIKayaker; 12-27-2017 at 10:12 PM.
    Scorpiusb, lever30, maki00 and 2 others like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thanks for the advice. Even through I used the shell loops in the vest pocket, I found it easier to grab the loose ones in the pocket.
    I carry about 15 shells at a time.
    I was just wondering if there was any advantage to wearing a cartridge belt for upland hunting.
    Last edited by maki00; 12-27-2017 at 10:51 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Hey maki00 -- been chasing quail, pheasant, and ruffed grouse for over 50 years. I have never even used the shell loops that are often inside of the front pockets. I just put my shells in the the front pockets of my vest.
    M700 likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    A cartridge belt is not that expensive. Buy one and try it. Do your pheasant hunting buddies wear cartridge belts?

I tend to think of cartridge belts and bandoleers as ways to carry a lot of shells in a situation where someone is shooting back, such as a tactical situation. If you only need a dozen or so extra shells, I'd use the pockets, but maybe that's just me, or maybe I don't understand where and how you hunt.

If I were hunting upland, grouse, wood cock, in an area where there were lots and lots of birds (my best day I jumped 30+ grouse, had 26 shots, and scored one bird--never said I was any good with a shotgun...) and climbing a lot of steep hills, and perhaps falling now and then, maybe a belt would hold the 40-50 shells more comfortably and securely. But for walking around in a field after roosters and maybe quail? I'd stay with pockets.

But that's just me....
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Another vote for loose in the pockets, I mostly used an o/u and sometimes you needed to reload quickly.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    When I was a kid I thought I needed a shell belt and bought a leather one. My dad who was a big time bird Hunter just carried them
    loose in his vest pockets. This was in the day when I was using a single 12 and I missed 50% of the time, which is hard to do on
    pheasants. I wasn't long switching to pocket carry. I was much faster. Didn't use shell belt again till I started deer hunting. That didnt
    last long either. Besides loosing slugs I figured out no one needs 25 slugs to deer hunt. For several years after I quit with the shell belt
    I would find slugs I had lost out of belt in places I had sit for a while. Any more I load the gun and carry 10 for birds and 3 in gun
    and 5 extra for deer. When you get older you don't want to carry anymore than you have to.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HIKayaker View Post
    . . . my best day I jumped 30+ grouse, had 26 shots, . . .
    Oh HIKayaker -- those were the days, weren't they? And we could do that in OHIO. Alas, not any more. Some say it's too many song dogs and too much avian predation -- I say West Nile Virus.
    HIKayaker and stonecoldy like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    You can get a military shot shell pouch that holds 12 shells in loops. Keeps them clean and you wont lose them.

There are some shell loop belts that are made of rubberized material. These will hold the shells tight and will not let them fall out. IIRC, Beretta makes one.

Remington just came out with a detachable box magazine version of the 870 shotgun.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    It was nothing to put up 30 birds up until around middle 80s. By 90 we got out of bird dogs. I don't know what the problem is. The
    increased logging around my area has made a lot more ideal grouse cover and there is no shortage of food. I don't buy the story
    that Turkey ate the food supply. Coyote may be a factor they have ate everything else. We had some rough winters, but you would
    think they would make a decent come back if that were the case. Turkey are down the last few years but I think that is coyote. If
    it was disease you would think it would have hit Turkeys too. There are a lot of unexplained population decreases in Wild Life in this
    area. Not every year is a bumper crop year but I think we are dealing with some kind of pollution. I don't know what because there
    is nothing new, in fact since 1980 we have lost all the mills, coal fired power has lost several plants, only one mine still operating
    all smoke stack industry gone.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links