Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Feral Hogs killed old ladys dog.........I WANNA GET PIG REVENGE ! Carlsbad NM.

6K views 35 replies 26 participants last post by  minute-of-berm 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Im in Carlsbad NM. Yesterday I met a guy at the range with his elderly mother (85). He was sighting in a 336 30-30 he bought new. They went camping and fishing at Brantley Lake and the !%$@#^ Wild Hogs killed and ate her little old dog ! Pigs eat dogs ? (deleted) They were the nicest people and he never owned a rifle before so everything was new to him. I felt so bad for her telling me the story of how the wild hogs got her "Baby" she swore up and down they ate it !...........I vowed to get revenge ! I wanna go blast some Pigs ! Anyone in this area ? Besides.....I need to bloody up a couple virgin 1895's real bad and cant figure a better way than "REVENGE". I just cant believe it......Hogs eating a little old Dog just don't set right with me at all !:viking::secruity::motz:

#3 · (Edited)
She said the little old terrier went snooping in some thick bushes and she heard then attack it where they were camped out. They found hog prints , blood, and a bit of hair....GONE......they ate it ! I thought they were vegetarians ? She said it sounded like they were fighting over it ? Meat eating Hogs.......UNBELIEVABLE !:confused:

#5 · (Edited)
Hmmmmmm.....Thanks. I didn't know this. I thought they were strictly an agricultural pest that competed with local species and tore up land. I bet the old terrier got in over his head and they chowed down on him instead ? Terriers think they are ALOT bigger than they are , and I bet this one leaned the hard way.......just my thought.

#12 ·
Last week I read a news story from Italy about an Italian mafia dude who was convicted of murder. No surprise, but he used hogs to dispose of the body to eliminate evidence. Supposedly that's not a new thing and very effective--bones and all...

Reactions: AZ1895
#14 ·
Sounds like those hogs are suffering from a fatal case of lead deficiency. If I was closer, I'd help you remedy that problem.

Reactions: msharley and AZ1895
#15 ·
In florida's WMA areas we still have restrictions on hogs, shoulder height, etc. this, to me, sounds like a cruel joke. These animals should be hunted heavily. My guide told me that feral hogs re produce after they reach the age of 6 months, no wonder population explodes. These animals are the biggest threat to any farmer, they eat everything as you guys mentioned, tomatoes, oranges and little dogs. Load up your 45-70 and lets go hunting...

#16 ·
When I was stationed in Norfolk an old boy from West Virginia had more coloquel sayings than a fellah has the right to remember - all at the tip of his tongue. You couldn't as where someone was at without him answering from down the squad bay... "went to $#!t and the hogs ate em". Now I know what he meant! :)

#17 · (Edited)
This happened in or right next to a WMA that you cant hunt hogs in ! This makes perfect sense....A Feral Hog Sanctuary.....lol. It just doesn't get any better. I found an area to the south where their cousins live. Taking the SR1911 and one of the Virgin 1895's. Plan on getting right in the mix of things. If I don't post anymore.......send someone to look for my boots and hat down along the Pecos river near the Texas border.......!

#19 ·
My buddy and I trapped some hogs on a lease I had and decided to fatten them up so we wormed them and fed them for about weeks and they were nice size but the pen he built was out of cattle panels with no door so we cut a hatch in the top of it and layed a rope around the feed bucket and when they stuck their head in we would snatch up on the rope and drag them up to the top and dispatch them with a 22 bullet behind the ear. The blood would run down the dead hog and the other hogs would run up and try to eat the dead hog while we were pulling it out the hole. I guess they smelled the blood. I am no pansy by any means but with the event of the hogs in E. Texas walking in the thick brush in the woods is certainly not like it used to be because you always have to be on our guard for hogs. Most of the time they will run from a human but its the chance that they won't that bothers me and I am getting to old to climb a tree and heaven forbid I have to run. ha

#20 · (Edited)
The wonderful state of New Mexico makes it illegal to transport them alive. They must die where they live ! That limits any meat value I guess. The state says shooting them and leaving them is an acceptable form of recycling them.....lol. Most around here shoot em and leave em. The NM site directs them to Texas sites for cleaning and care of meat and cautions of many diseases. Its like they are treated like Typhoid Mary here in New Mexico.

#25 · (Edited)
NM doesn't require anything at all.....not even a license. They encourage you to kill em and leave em.......They could care less whats done with them. The PETA jerks are the ones that tried to stop it but the best they could do was push for the NO Transportation live law. That takes away significantly from someone profiting from feral hog meat. In AZ they want all the crafish removed from the northern trout lakes where they are non-native , but the state wont allow commercial crayfish traps for profit or sale.....Another bunch of BS ! Seems many states have introduced species they want gone.......as long as you don't make a dime profit from it.

#23 ·
Are they "wild hogs" or are they javalina? Javalina or peccary are just as mean as wild hogs but they are a native species in New Mexico, Texas and Arizona and have game guide lines that have to be followed. You can't just shootem up like feral pigs. Key

#26 ·
I had 3 hogs come after my American Eskimo Dog last dove season in central Texas. I was hunting a stock tank and the hogs came in for water. My dog decided to protect his master. The hogs came after him, so I fired 3 rounds of dove loads into their faces, which slowed them down and then dropped the lead sow with my Ruger Blackhawk .44. The other 2 headed for a different county. Hogs will eat anything including fawns and baby goats, I have witnessed both.

#27 ·
One hundred years ago (just a little later this year) escaped hogs were eating many of the dead and wounded from the trenches between the lines in France and Belgium. That was what we now call WWI.

#28 ·
Going Hog Hunting in September in NC. Taking my 1845 for one.... then it's Pigs witrh Pistols. I might even use the S&W 500 for P&P event!!!

#29 ·
In the part of Texas I live in it is not uncommon to see big bloody spots on the highway and a hog or two laying dead on the side of the road where they were run over by a motorist. It was explained to me that even though a hog was run over that several more will move in and start trying to eat him and another motorist will top a hill and run over the rest of them. I always thought that maybe a motorist killed all of them the first time but the other explanation sounds feasible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.