mountain lion attack
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Contributing Member
    Member #

mountain lion attack

Earlier this week, near Leavenworth in Chelan County Washington, about 25 miles from my home, a smallish mountain lion attacked a fellow who was playing fetch with his dog! The thing came at him and bit his leg! Dog and owner defended themselves and the cougar retreated back to the woods.

A couple of days later the cougar managed to catch and kill a domestic cat. It was subsequently located, treed and shot by a private citizen, a game warden and a deputy. Poor little critter was a couple of years old and only weighed about 50 pounds. It was in rough shape, explaining the bizzare behavior.

FWIW, Guy

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

mountain lion attack

M700 are they overpopulating on your side of the state and therefore not enough feed or ?
    BOT GBUSA, Charter member team 444.
    Life member NRA, Life member WAC.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

mountain lion attack

I gotta tell you, the first thing I thought of when you wrote,

a smallish mountain lion attacked a fellow who was playing fetch with his dog!

was the sight of a guy throwing a little dog and a mountain lion running to fetch it! :lol:

I'd shoot the dern thing too, if it wouldn't bring the little dog back! :shock:

Sorry, but that's just the first picture that flashed into my mind. Too bad about the lion, but when they get desperate for food they do some goofy stuff.
    "Hunt close, then get closer."
    Team .444 -- Member #22

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #

mountain lion attack

If this was the Berkley Hills in Kalifornia the greenies would be putting cat chow out for it. Here kitty, kitty. :roll:

Remmy Brownchester

mountain lion attack

It's likely that the young cat's mother had died before completing the vital predator training period...it was desperate for food.

A dog running after a ball would also trigger it's stalk and pounce instinct.

Gunfighter
    Member #

mountain lion attack

A couple of days later the cougar managed to catch and kill a domestic cat.

Member #

mountain lion attack

They need to start hunting them cats again. Too many people are being attacked by them. I watched a show the other night in which wildlife officers were keeping track of a cat by a gps coller as it made its way through a housing development. How much taxpayer money is being wasted having wildlife and law enforcement officers trying to prevent attacks. In this show they showed several wildlife officers, five or six sheriffs, and a helicopter trying to get a cat that attacked a bicylist. With all the commotion going on the cat was actually stalking them. Isn't there more productive things for our lawenforcement to be doing instead of having to chase cats around? Open them back up to hunting and let hunters take care of them.

Really Short Fuse Administrator
    Edmond, Oklahoma - That's just North of the Red River Team .444 Charter Member
    Member #

mountain lion attack

Shilo,

There is no way that will happen sir!! Why you might ask?? Because it involves common sense on their part.

Dave
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/
    MO Member #77

Contributing Member
    Member #

mountain lion attack

Shilo - cougar tags are cheap here and the season is about six months long.

Problem is, about 10 years ago the liberal voters outlawed hunting w/hounds here... Cougar population is mighty high since then. Some hound hunting has been allowed here in Chelan County though - at least this past year, maybe the past two years. Still, not much hunting pressure on the cats anymore.

Also - there's more and more residential development up the canyons where the cats roam, traditional mule-deer wintering areas. That inevitably leads to more human/cat incidents. Bears too.

Yup, I pack a stout-loaded handgun when I'm wandering the boonies - just in case! Also my darned cougar tag during the season. Someday...

ape

Member #

mountain lion attack

About 2 weeks ago my wife woke up and saw the neighbors dog in our yard high tailing it home. It stopped to look back and that is when she saw it. About a 2-3 year old cougar came out of the bush and bedded down on the side of our lagoon and laid there watching the dog and basking in the sun for about 15-20 minutes. She called me at work looking for the key to the gun cabinet but I was busy and didn't return the call for an hour so it was long gone. My neighbor across the road had him in the cross hairs the day before but it was on the top of a hill along his drive way with houses in the background. The cat didn't present a shot coming down the bank so it lived another day. It has yet to be seen again but we are all ready for the next sighting BAM cougar samich hey tubby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links