mini range report marlin FG 41 mag

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

went out to the ranch this morning and brought along my marlin 41 mag and a smith 24-3 44 spl to try out.
    paced off 60 paces to the stock tank set up a target.I was firing off a portable bench using a rest.
    first tried my cast loads of
    210 gr swc .412 pb bullet
    15.0 grs 2400
    starline brass
    win large pistol primers.
    the best group was 5 inches,not so hot.no keyhole's but strike one for the micro groove barrel.
    next tired some factory 200 gr rem sp's.much better 2 1/2 inch group counting flyers.just got in some hornady 210 so will work up some different loads and try and tighten the jacketed loads up some.
    when I got home I cleaned the rifle and the barrel was not fouled with lead so thats on the plus side.
    I am not giving up on cast bullets in the FG but it was disappointing at best.
    fwiw the smith 24-3 44 special was ripping a ragged hole with the 240gr swc's.real nice trigger.
    pete

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

txpete,

I tried some D+J hardcast (.410") in my FG with disappointing results but they shot great out of a Ruger Redhawk. My FG is bored closer to .411 and I'd bet yours is too. Have you slugged it? Those .412 pb slugs should work out OK once you find a powder and charge they like. I think the complaints about micro-groove barrels not shooting lead bullets well are unfounded. What lube are you using? I just tried some 225 grain LBT cast bullets with Bluedot that left the first 2" in front of the chamber of the FG leaded. Velocity was only in the mid 1400s. Groups were in the 3" range at 50 yards. I'm quessing that the fast burning Bluedot is too abrupt in starting those slugs down the barrel and thus the leading in that area. With a mediocre load of Lil'gun, that same bullet leaves the barrel at close to 1700 fps and no leading. Might be worth trying a slower powder with cast bullets in your FG. Keep those test results coming!
    Some profess that they "aim to please". On the contrary, it pleases me to aim.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

your right,just going to have to try some diff. powders to get this one to shoot.
    I cast my own bullets and the batch I shot today might have been just to hard as I went over board on the linotype/wheel weight mix but wanted to get the bullets to drop on the big side(.412).for lube I used lee tumble lube 3 coats.I didn't have any leading so the lube worked good.the same load shoots great out of my taurus tracker 41 mag.
    the factory rem loads shot good so... also going to work on the jacketed loads.I have some hornady 210's to play with.
    this is just part of the fun getting a new rifle to perform.I had a sav. 110 308 that just wouldn't shoot until I came up with a magic load.
    stay tune the marlin mg saga continues....
    pete

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #

TXPETE,
    I was out at the range with my .41 Mag Cowboy today. I think my rifle is the same as the FG(barrel&twist). Results were as follows:
    215 gr .411 SWC over 8.2gr Unique ([email protected]). GS 1-1.5" @50yd. Winny primer
    210 gr. .410 Hornady XTP over 17.6gr. 2400 ([email protected]). GS .75" @50yd. Winny primer
    all 12 rounds were inside a 2" bull. My, that was purty!
    I have tried other recipes but these two have been consistent.
    This rifle is sweetness. Yours will be too. Just gotta find the right combo.
    MUZZLEDUSTER

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

muzzleduster does yours have a micro groove barrel??I thought all cowboy rifles have ballard cut barrels?
    I printed your data and will give it a try.
    thanks pete

Sidewinder
    Member #

TXPETE,
    My .41 looks like microgroove. The owners manual refers to the rifle as "button rifled." There are no barrel specs on the gun itself. My rifle has a 20" tapered octagon barrel with about 12 shallow grooves. Hope this helps.
    MUZZLEDUSTER

Sidewinder
    Member #

PETE,
    I forgot to mention that 17.6 of 2400 is the max recommended by the alliant folks(actually its 17.5) I worked up to my pet load looking for pressure signs. The lyman #47 manual lists a max of 20gr. of Alliant 2400 but that just seems too hot for my taste. Lee #1 gives a max of 17.5 and Speer#13 lists 16.8 (handgun 200gr).
    MUZZLEDUSTER

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

thanks muzzleduster.I just finished preping my brass and going to load them up this afternoon.
    I am going to try some sr 7625,unique,700X,800X and some win 231.I sure wish that the 2400 load worked in the marlin as it is the best load so far in my tracker.sure wish marlin would dump the micro groove and put ballard barrels on all their rifles.
    pete

Sidewinder
    Member #

PETE,
    I tried Hornady 210gr XTP over 11.5 of 800x (Max is 12gr). GS <1.0" @50yd. Buddy, this is fun!
    MUZZLEDUSTER :!:

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

range report part II
    went out today and shot the FG again along with the tracker 41mag.
    210 gr swc .412 used in all loads with starline brass.10 rd groups
    shooting at 25 meters as the rifle range was closed.
    5.3 tite group right at 2 inches

6.2 gr's SR 7625 at 1 1/2 inch

and the winner is

7.3 grs SR 7625 a ragged hole less than a inch.so much for the micro-junk barrel as some friends told me.
    fwiw the taurus just loved the 5.3 gr's of titegroup.
    pete

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links