Cross bolt safety issue!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Deadeye
    Member #

Cross bolt safety issue!

I went out to my new lease last weekend and put my 45-70 thru it's paces shooting feral hogs and a doe. The doe was hit behind the shoulder with a 350 grain Hornady RN broadside. The bullet clipped the spine and damaged the lungs slightly and exited of course. Very narrow wound channel and she required a finisher. Velocity is around 1550 fps. Now for the safety issue. I hunted the hogs by sneaking up on the feeders after dark. The hogs stand out well against the white sand and can be aproached closely if you are quiet and don have a light on. Very bright moonlight. One spot I had baited was not under a feeder just a wide spot in the brush. As I neared it I though, strange the opening seemed bigger, well it is but blocking my view was a 400 pound black feral hog about ten feet in front of me. He crossed the opening when he heard me push the button on my light and faced me at 40 feet. I got lined up on him and squeezed the trigger, all I got was a loud "Clack" of the hammer hitting the safety bar. Thinking I had a dud I jacked another shell in but he was gone. I picked up the ejected round and no primer dent. I checked the safety and it was on. I don't use it and have never intentionally put it in the on position and you canbet I am going to duct tape the right side and put an o ring on the other side.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

Cross bolt safety issue!

It sounds like you had some real excitement going on. that saftey thing can foul things up sure enough. I hunt like you do with the saftey off and just use the hammer. I do worry about the saftey getting pushed on and check it often. I have found it pushed the wrong way a few times. I have put black electrical tape over it and that's a short term fix. but there are some folks that make a permanent replacement thing to replace the saftey. It looks like a screw that is supposed to be there. It seems like a good idea to me and if I was smart Iwould already have that saftey replaced. But smart I ain't so it's black electrical tape for the viewable future. sorry about your bad luck. That situation could have turned dangerous as well. Life is good, BestLever
    Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us." Life is good, BestLever

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Cross bolt safety issue!

There is a better way, and no duct tape. Take off the stock, and looking from the rear of the gun, on the left side you will see a hole filled with glue. Take a needle or pointy thing and clean out the glue.You will find a small screw under that gook. Put the safety in the fire possition, and with a small allen wrench tighten that screw until the safety won't move. Put the stock back on, no more cross bolt problems. Be sure you have it in the fire possition....Jake
    "Keep the Traditions Alive, Go kill Somethin'',

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #

Cross bolt safety issue!

I had a very embarrassing moment at a rifle check range just before a hunt IN South Africa, but for the opposite reason!

I thought I had my crossbolt safety ON, had my scoped GS (older with eye problems) pointed down range, levered a round into the chamber, put my thumb on the hammer spur EXTENSION and pressed the trigger to lower the hammer on the safety bolt while I got situated on the bench in the sandbags... Well, my thumb slipped off the hammer extension and the boomer went off, getting the attention of about 12 other hunters and guides. Yeah, I had it downrange and no one was in danger, but the blood surged to my face real quick and I heard a lot of expletives in the background. One friend broke the tension by yelling: "Now that we know it can shoot, let's see if you can hit that damn target @ 100 yards!!!" Everybody laughed, which helped, but I have never forgotten that awful feeling... ops: ops:

I've never had any safety issues in over 44 years of shooting, but you just never know. :cry:

Another time I had the safety ON, and thought I had a bad primer, sorta like your hog experience. After checking the round, I just flicked it off and went to shooting...

Bottomline: I ALWAYS CHECK THE DAMN SAFETY!
    unters are not afraid of thorns!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Cross bolt safety issue!

I've wondered if in thier attempt to reduce liability, if they haven't increased it in the case of us old farts, that were used to not having the damn thing. I ended up disableing it on all the guns I have with it, yet don't have any problem with my shotguns, which all have a crossbolts, and I use them religiously. Just set in our ways....Jake

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

Cross bolt safety issue!

Jake, do your shotguns have hammers? And double barrel hammer shotguns? I have a good story concerning these. Life is good, BestLever
    Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us." Life is good, BestLever

Deadeye
    Member #

Cross bolt safety issue!

I guess familiarity with the pre crossbolt guns caused the problem but 40 years of learning is hard to unlearn.

Wrangler
    Member #

Cross bolt safety issue!

I just wish the safety was a trigger block instead of a hammer block. Pull the trigger with it on, you know instantly its on safe, and no click.
    The shortest distance between two politicians is through your wallet.

Don N.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Cross bolt safety issue!

Quote Originally Posted by BestLever
    Jake, do your shotguns have hammers? And double barrel hammer shotguns? I have a good story concerning these. Life is good, BestLever
    Good point guys, if ya do forget to take it off, no hammer noise...Jake

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

Cross bolt safety issue!

I've run afoul of the CBS twice in the field.....hopefully, I'm trained by now ops:
    Tuba Players Have BIG Brass Ones

That Sound You Hear In The Woods While Hunting Is Deer Laughing.....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links