Laminated stocks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Laminated stocks

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

Laminated stocks

I have one on my inexpensive Savage Axis:
    112_0223.JPG It nicer looking than the plastic stock that came with it and cured the accuracy issues. Would be content except I shoot LH and that is a RH bolt rifle. Liked the caliber and its use well enough to have given when I got a deal on a LH Ruger American Predator. The LGs knocked off about $80 or so.
    Stock is plastic and I consider the green color a bit ugly but the darn thing shoots very well. Not being the type to leave well enough alone and not fix what works I am looking at putting another wood stock on it. Aesthetics say I like wood stocks.

OK here goes. The laminated stock is heavier I know that, but that's is not an issue as I hunt I stands now and the extra weight actually helps with the steadiness for longer shots. Just wonder if anyone has had issues with them, like delamination. The one pictured was a Boyd's stock and it just dropped in. Walnut would be prettier but laminate is more stable.

DEP

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I prefer a nice laminated stock as well. Like you, a little more weight doesn't bother my still hunting on the property. Besides, a little more weight is nice for the 1895G!
    gunscrewguy and marlinluvr like this.

"Opinionated Texan" Super Moderator
    Member #
    i've had several over the years, on levers and bolt rifles.
    never had one chip or de-laminate.
    it seems like they hold up to abuse better as well...they don't
    get dinged up as easy.
    Navajo
    Lever-Action Addict
    Savage 99 fan
    MXLR fan
    Full-Blood Texan

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Bought a 1995 Marlin MR-7 270 Win about 4 years ago. It came housed in a Boyds laminate stock---no telling how old it was. The stock was in very good shape though it was hunted with a lot. The laminates will definitely hold up over time.
    JACKTW, marlinluvr, M700 and 2 others like this.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I think that you just can't beat a good laminate stock for both looks and durability. I'm looking for one to replace the black wood (non laminate) stock on my 1895 Trapper.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Have been thinkin' about a Boyd's laminate for my 6.5 Creedmoor Axis...just haven't pulled the trigger! Got a Boyd's thumbhole on the 10/22 and love the feel! Might help with the recoil a little (which is a plus) also!
    PoopDeckPappy and northmn like this.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Wrangler
    Member #
    ...I've tried all the most aggressive products to clean them: the only thing to avoid could be 120 vol. hydrogen peroxide, especially if used after a bath in hot caustic soda, and this on old, beaten, unprotected Mauser laminated stocks, because of consequent surface peeling (any other material would have plainly be dissolved !)_
    I could say that today a laminated stock is forever, and I would prefer any day a German laminated K98k stock rather than previous K98k more expensive solid wood versions.
    M1Riflenut likes this.
    ...next thing you know they'll want your pistol and your tobacco...

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    The laminated stocks are good and nice. I have a few on M1 Garands which give the rifle a modern look while still preserving the classic M1 Garand look. You still must seal them against moisture and they can be stained to enhance the grain structure. One thing is you cannot shape them with a rasp as the laminated wood will chipp off-----it must be shaped with sandpaper going from rough grit to a fine grit. If you have to drill a hole in it use blue painters tape to prevent the egde of the hole from chipping----if using a forstner bit make sure the edge cutter is sharp or it will edge chip the perimeter (Like if you are insetting an emblem or coin in the stock.
    northmn and CobraBG like this.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." ~ Aristotle
    "
    The strength of the constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are constitutional rights secure." ~ Albert Einstein

Sidewinder
    Member #
    My B-I-L has a 1960 vintage 336A (24" barrel) that came from the factory with a Monte Carlo combed stock (standard at the time). The gun was used when purchased and the stock had been cut and a pad added; basically, the rifle really needed something to dress it up a bit. So he purchased from eBay a set of take-off Marlin laminated stocks (capped forend style) and installed them on his gun (was chambered in 35 Rem). I was amazed at how well this gun looked afterwards; the combination of those laminate stocks and blued steel was excellent. I must admit these new stocks really improved the looks of his gun; it shoots great and has become one of his favorites, but I'm old fashioned and will stick with traditional walnut
    Tomray and M1Riflenut like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Like and use laminate stocks. Boyd’s has a pretty wide selection of colors. Classic grey or “pepper” looks great, their “coyote” has some great colors without going overboard. Did get their “ nutmeg” or what is advertised as a walnut brown. Was a bit surprised at the color when it arrived, a smokey brownish gray.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links