Laminated stocks - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Laminated stocks

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I would not want some of the colors offered, I like the nutmeg, or maybe salt and pepper. Please no blues, or reds!!
    wilecoyote, northmn and Tomray like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I hate the look of laminate stocks although I will admit they are functional, I'd rather have Walnut or a quality synthetic.
    256WinMag and Tomray like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Mossberg 464.JPG

My Mossberg 464 carbine came with a grey laminated stock. Love it for hunting in humid Florida.

TR

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Had wanted a 45/70 for years but hadn't thought about a lever action. Saw a Marlin SBL with that laminated stock, stainless steel and a rail and fell in love. LOL. Still smile everytime i work the action and fire it.
    Padraig
    Last edited by Padraig; 05-22-2020 at 09:03 PM.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    When the weather gets so bad that I need a laminate or synthetic stock to go to the woods, I am staying by the fire and admiring my blue and walnut by the door.
    JM "Jenuine Marlin"

A Ghost Ring brings everything into perspective.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I put an Applejack, (b&r striped), thumbhole on a Bmag spotter, a Nutmeg Prairie Hunter on a Bmag Stainless, another on a Coast to Coast 340 in 30-30. They were all slip-in easy.

Oh yeah Grey Laminant stock on my 336xlr.
    PoopDeckPappy likes this.
    Tim​
    A confirmed Pedant

Deadeye
    Member #
    If it is a true drop in from Boyds and you don't have to do anything to it except maybe finish it, they are OK. I only did one for a gunsmith I use to do stock work for. I had to open up the barrel channel and take some material off around the receiver.I swore I would never touch another.The glue between layers plays heck with stock tools and you have to keep sharpening them. Each layer,the grain of the wood is reversed, so when you get a nice cut on one ,the next layer is opposite and wants to peel off as sliver of wood instead of a fine cut. Checkering by hand is next to impossible because the diamonds chip off and again you ruin your checkering tools. I hate plastic stocks, but the laminates, if I have to work on one, comes in close to the synthetic. Of course, I am a walnut/blue steel rifle fan myself.
    northmn likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    This is a Boyd's drop in finished and checkered nutmeg laminated stock. Fit perfectly and required no work at all.
    Later I decided to bed the action trying to wring out all I could get from the rifle. Bedding didn't improve the accuracy at all..
    Personally, I don't think the synthetic stocks have any advantage whatsoever except maybe price.
    And nothing feels better on a rifle than wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pay no attention to the mess in my shop. My best work comes from chaos!
    NRA Endowment, TSRA life, ex NRA Hi-Power, and Palma.. ..Team Bolt Action Rimfire #191 1948 mod 336A .30-30 mod 375 SC straight grip mod95 .45/70 1948 mod 39A .22 mod 395 .22 XT22VR .22 mod75 .22 Marlin Ballard .22 Team Old Pharts #401

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I had a WW2 laminate stock on a 98K Mauser made by the Nazis, and it was still fine even though it had been beat to death. I venture to say our glues are much better than they were 80 years ago. If I get a replacement stock, it will be a laminate just like yours. Nice looking rifle.

Wrangler
    Member #
    the beauty of real wood and its ability to respond favorably to recoil, especially if characterized by an adequate grain of the fibers, (therefore not briar knots, however fascinating), remains undisputed. so unfortunately his sensitivity to atmospheric changes, because the wood is "alive", and moves accordingly_ laminate is a German application due to the contingencies of war that had particularly happy results, but remains "dead" wood, however practical and economic_ every other synthetic material belongs to other planets, with strengths and weaknesses, and by defects I mean the aesthetics and the reaction to the recoil, certainly more constant but not more pleasant. I believe that anyone who has guided fast boats built with these different materials can share the same feel when the boat is called to respond to wave or speed solicitations
    (the only rifle that I sold without regrets was an 870 12 gauge, and I think mainly because it had a plastic stock that I never digested)
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 05-22-2020 at 11:37 PM. Reason: 870
    ...next thing you know they'll want your pistol and your tobacco...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links