Marlin 1894C ... Project restarted ... bluing job
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Marlin 1894C ... Project restarted ... bluing job

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Marlin 1894C ... Project restarted ... bluing job

Have a • Marlin 1894C Carbine .357 Magnum • in the shop ... started this project sometime back ... a reblue. Got started and some things came up and it got shelved for a while.

Started back yesterday. Kinda breaking my hiatus on working on client projects but in the end decided there should be no parts or supply problems on getting the bluing done.

Will get some before pics up. The bluing overall did not look in bad shape damage wise. No real pitting or damage was visible on cursory examination. I found though, wasn't a real "Oh Crap" moment, that the pitting damage below the bluing was worse that it showed before starting the stripping. This was the case on both the Barrel and the Mag Tube.

First chore was stripping the Mag Tube. No bad bumps or bruises but a lot of overall pitting.

I have only had real contact with 3 hot bluing jobs - helped a little on one and watched the progress on a couple of others. Not trying to start a flame war or big argument here, just an observation from my experience. The prep I have to do for the cold bluing jobs I do seems to require a more pristine surface. The hot blue seems to cover a lot of little imperfections that the the cold bluing shows if not addressed. May not be the case in the real world but just my experience.

This metal seems to have a lot of overall small but pesky pitting.

Have the first pass on the Mag Tube completed in the pictures below. 4 times around the full length sanding and repairing. Have the 3rd pass nearly completed now. Have the initial pass on the barrel done. Haven't taken any pictures of the new progress or of the first work on the barrel yet. Will get that done in the next day or so.

Time to let the production of "Fairy Dust" begin in earnest ... Will be working the metal the next few hours in the shop.
    Last edited by rjtmac; 05-23-2020 at 09:05 AM.
    Lever Jac, Da Duke, kah64 and 8 others like this.
    NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    This is why blueing isn't cheap. Lots of proper prep work before even treating the metal. Look forward to more on your project.
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Some pics of the barrel's first prep pass a while back ... still pretty rough but got 95% of the bad pitting worked out. Got the other 2 passes done and now on the final prep sanding of the barrel at this time. About 90% through with that ... another 45 minutes tomorrow. Somewhere around 4 hours on the barrels first pass.

After the barrel is laid by ... will get the Receiver done. When the Receiver is finished on to the final buffing.

I have really been surprised by how long it is and has taken to remove all of the small fine pitting that was pervasive under the bluing. Would have never guessed it in a million years from the really nice appearance of the bluing on the gun.

(as a reminder - must remember the scratching and scarring you see in the pictures is no where near this in person, camera brings out the worst - not to say there are no scratches and flaws there are - just not as pronounced as the pictures make them appear.)

Working the pitting and damage around the stamping is always a good time.

Fix the damage and save the Stamping ...

Last edited by rjtmac; 05-23-2020 at 08:05 AM.
    NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Got the Mag Tube to 95% ... Final sanding and then buffing remaining ...

Sure is nice to see all of the pitting go "bye bye" ...

Receiver today and maybe start on the small stuff ... Have some errands today and a 120 mile round trip to deliver a project to a guy. So the amount of progress today is in limbo.
    NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    A couple of BEFORE pics - These were taken by the owner and I brightened these some - I guess the camera capturing and showing more than the naked eye can be a help sometime. After the "brightning" the pitting shows much more in these pics than just looking over the gun. Guess I wouldn't have been so surprised if I had done the photo work to post the pictures before I started the stripping and prep.

Kinda anxious now to see what it under the finish on the Receiver ...

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    So with this "New Process" ended up here with the Barrel and Mag Tube. Working on the Receiver. Hopefully it will be finished with prep tomorrow.

Onward and upward ... Finish Receiver and then on to all of the smaller parts.
    Last edited by rjtmac; 05-24-2020 at 07:39 AM.
    NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    * A Post is missing ... I made a post referring to the "New Process" before post #6 above. For some reason that post has disappeared. It was posted last night.

The post was concerning a new order of steps in the metal prep.

I had in my mind I wanted to try the metal prep steps in a different order. I was wanting to try a light buffing of the metal after the first full pass of repairs and sanding. I was hoping the buffing would help to highlight the damage and pitting still remaining. Buffing down the sanding and repair marks and get them out of the way of the visual of the damage. The problem for me in the metal prep is seeing the finer and deeper damage among all of the repair markings. As the higher grades of sandpaper are used the finer and deeper damage keeps appearing. I was looking for a way to get this damage to become more apparent earlier in the process.

I already had the Mag Tube almost completed and had the 1st pass work done on the barrel from a while back. Didn't have another project of my own to kinda test and play with and certainly wasn't going to experiment on someone else's project. It came to mind I did have some metal I could work with.

I had my two EDC knives. I have two knives I alternate and carry one my belt everyday. These are two knives that my Nephew made and gave me a little over 2 years ago. They see action on the farm, in the barn, yard, working on equipment, the shop and just normal everyday abuse. They were starting to show their mistreatment a little. The Black Walnut handles were getting scratched and scarred and the blade metal was scratched, gouged and scraped all over.

So they would be the guinea pigs and go through the "Custom Shop" and have the new metal prep process kinda tested. Cleared up the wood on the handles first then on to the blades. The new process did do what I hoped it would do and gave me a quicker view of the remaining damage after the first pass of prep on the blades. I will have to give it a full blown trial on a gun in the future.

So here is what the test subjects turned out to look like ...

Didn't polish out the blade on the lower knife as fine as I did on the top one. I liked the look both ways.

Went from this experiment to using the same method of the barrel of the 1894 bluing project.
    Last edited by rjtmac; 05-24-2020 at 07:42 AM.
    NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    After the first work on the Receiver I wasn't as anxious to see it as I thought. The pitting, like the Mag Tube and Barrel, was worse than the finish showed.

I only have pictures of the left side ... didn't take any right side but much the same plus there was pitting damage along the edge of the loading gate opening and also the bolt slide opening.

The pitting is much deeper than it appears in the pictures.

After some hours of sanding ...
    Final sanding and buff was done after these pictures were taken.

Internal of the Receiver cleaned and buffed ...

Tang had some impact damage ... removed ... top of the Receiver repaired ...

Barrel wrapped and protected during the Receiver work.
    Last edited by rjtmac; 05-25-2020 at 09:00 AM.
    Scorpiusb likes this.
    NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Have the Barrel and Receiver blued ... Mag Tube later today ...

Prep of lever and small parts and screws today and bluing tomorrow hopefully ...

The metal prep on this project has taken a lot longer than it first appeared it was gonna take ...
    DWF, Golphin, marlin54 and 4 others like this.
    NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Amazing as always.
    - Fran-

Better to be thought of as an idiot,than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links