• 1 Post By CobraBG
  • 2 Post By wilecoyote
  • 1 Post By mikej
  • 1 Post By rob42049

Thread: controlling moisture

Gun Wizard
    Member #

controlling moisture

The past two days of rain have brought to light problems in my powder bunker I've got huge moisture problem that has me rethinking where to store things. Some dies that have not been used in a while have rust on them. No damage to any powder but its gotta get moved and I've kept primers in another place that is very dry. For some reason the presses mounted in there that are kept covered with plastic bags when not in use have no problems. I've begun polishing dies off on the shop bench grinder wire wheel and spraying them down with birchwood casey barricade, fortunately only just a couple sizing dies have rust on inside and will need to be replaced. I'm in process of moving reloading to a closet in a good size camper that I have. I'll be putting a sturdy shelf in there to mount a couple presses on. What I need is a new building that is moisture proofed but don't have an extra $10,000 - $15000 laying around to get something like that done right now.
    How does everyone else deal with moisture problems.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    this is what the problem is
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I run a dehumidifier in my shop area. It makes a difference.
    schloff likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    motorcycle garage or guns/loading room (and I wish is to have both in the same home room, but here I can't), I've learned hard way to to keep everything (tools, dies, etc.) not in immediate use lubed or greased. here, salty area, I trust more in Ballistol than in any dehumidifier or weather forecast_
    CobraBG and rob42049 like this.
    ...next thing you know they'll want your pistol and your tobacco...

Deadeye
    Member #
    It's been real wet here. Emptied our five inch rain gage that was overflowing this morning and it has about another inch in it already. My shop, both reloading and woodworking is in the basement and is both heated and cooled which normally keeps things from rusting. I do keep a coat of floor wax on my table saw and joiner which can get a little rust if I'm not diligent. I haven't noticed any rust on on dies, other than a couple that were pretty grungy when I got them. Powder stays dry in a cabinet. I think I will put one of those electric heating rods in my safe. I empty it out two or three times a year and wipe / oil eveything down to make sure the guns I haven't been shooting get checked.
    wilecoyote likes this.
    NRA
    OGCA

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Several years ago I started using a 1x3" Zerust ICT Plastab in the storage box of each set of dies. Haven't noticed any rust issues so consider it cheap protection.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    is that zerust plastab like the rust resistant paper used in Lyman boxes? ill have to google it
    next trip to the city I'll get a couple dehumidifiers. The dies and presses no problem in moving them.
    The trick is gonna be powder. to be legal and safe its not coming in the house, unless I get rid of 100+ lbs, not a bad problem to have I guess.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Havent had any trouble with powder or primers. Have had a little surface rust on some dies. Wood building with concrete floor. Do not heat in winter.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I have everything that could be damaged by moisture in ammo cans. They are sealed with a rubber gasket on the lid, and there's silica gel dessicant packs inside. The powder is OK in the original metal and plastic containers up on shelves, but everything else is in GI cans. They come in all sizes, and over the years I've bought quite a few.
    Last edited by rob42049; 05-19-2020 at 04:42 PM.
    wilecoyote likes this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links