Rebore an 8mm Mauser to.... what?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: Rebore an 8mm Mauser to.... what?

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Rebore an 8mm Mauser to.... what?

A little while back I picked up a sporterized Mauser which is still in 8mm. This is a nice, professionally done rifle, not a bubba build. The bore is not bad, but not perfect either. After a good cleaning it is just a bit past being "frosted" and has minor pitting at the front half of the bore. I got this thing dirt cheap so I am contemplating sending it out to get rebored/rechambered. Anyone know what my options would be for a new chambering? Or maybe it would be cheaper to re-barrel?

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Well, since it's close in diameter to .338, you can rebore it to that size, or even a little larger, let's say .35 cal.
    But, I think the less expensive way to go would be to rebarrel it any long action caliber you like.

Hawk

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

Wrangler
    Member #
    K98 never dies !

...outdated, maybe, but I hope can help.
    (btw, maybe it's a silly question, but have you already tried to shoot it,even better if loaded w. some 200grs.sierra hpbt ?)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 03-26-2020 at 12:55 AM.
    ...next thing you know they'll want your pistol and your tobacco...

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Riflenut,
    I have a Mauser that was sporterized post war in 30-06, handed down from my father. To be frank, it is the sweetest 30-06 I have ever fired. Granted, mine was done in a different era with true craftsmen, but I believe this can be achieved nowadays. It's not the prettiest, but it is slick and shoots nice, not a lot of recoil compared to my other 30-06 rifles.
    Eduard Kettner Suul Germany is all that is on the action. I read that they are sort of the "Cabelas" of the "Fatherland".

I hope you enjoy yours when it's done as much as i do mine.
    M1Riflenut and Sambane like this.
    The Schloff, Too young to be old. Too old to be young.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M1Riflenut View Post
    A little while back I picked up a sporterized Mauser which is still in 8mm. This is a nice, professionally done rifle, not a bubba build. The bore is not bad, but not perfect either. After a good cleaning it is just a bit past being "frosted" and has minor pitting at the front half of the bore. I got this thing dirt cheap so I am contemplating sending it out to get rebored/rechambered. Anyone know what my options would be for a new chambering? Or maybe it would be cheaper to re-barrel?
    M1

Great platform to work with. I am happy to hear you are also considering a re-barrel.

I am not sure if you currently have a 6.5mm in your stable or not. If not, and you want an excellent 6.5 option that is based on the 8mm case, take a look the 6.5x57. I had one made up a few years ago and love it. You can buy factory ammo reasonably priced by Sellier and Bellot or buy unprimed cases and reload your own. Depending on the barrel twist rate, a 1 in 9" will support up to 130 gr and the 1 in 8" will stabilize the 140-143 ELD designs. Ballistics and reloading data are the same as the 6.5x55 Swiss.

No bolt face work, no magazine, or feed ramp modifications. Only a few barrel. All is true for the 7x57 Mauser as well.

There are also a couple wildcats, the 8mm-338 and 9.3x57. Not sure of the barrel diameter you have for the larger options. Just a thought for a rebore option. Again, no bolt face changes, magazine box mods, or feed ramp mods.

There are many 8mm based cartridges you can work with.
    PDP aka: Pappy
    My Favorites: 22 Hornet and all wildcats, 28-30 Stevens, 32-20 and all wildcats, plus every hyphenated rifle cartridge I have shot.
    Team: "Old Pharts" #348,
    Team Winchester #145

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Do you have use for a rifle caliber larger than .32?

The calibers have been mentioned above, excepting the .35 Whelan and .375 H&H (which will require the bolt to be opened up to fit the cartridge base).

If this is one of those, "I always thought I'd like to have an ehrdrumsplitten-thunderboomer in .4371/2 caliber..." How much will it get shot after the first range trip? If you've got plans to hunt with it, that's something else. But over the last few years, I find I'm taking the smaller calibers out much more often than the canons.

And I second the motion to rebarrel, rather than rebore.

But hey, it's your rifle. Do what you want. Enjoy.
    no primers, M1Riflenut and Sambane like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I looked into the reboring game not too long ago, and determined that for the money, a new barrel, even with copying an existing taper and installing sights was usually a bit cheaper than re-boring. Depends on who does your barrel, of course.
    I don't think that for most of the calibers in question there would be problem with the original barrel steel, Mauser barrels are well known for being good barrels.
    Nonetheless, my vote is for a new barrel that mimics the original.
    Pay no attention to the mess in my shop. My best work comes from chaos!
    NRA Endowment, TSRA life, ex NRA Hi-Power, and Palma.. ..Team Bolt Action Rimfire #191 1948 mod 336A .30-30 mod 375 SC straight grip mod95 .45/70 1948 mod 39A .22 mod 395 .22 XT22VR .22 mod75 .22 Marlin Ballard .22 Team Old Pharts #401

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I would opt for reboring to 9.3x62.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I am a big fan of the 35 caliber rifle. I would opt for a 35 Whelen rebarrel or rebore. If you had a short action rifle--I would go the 358 Win route.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    One consideration will be the cost of dies if you move to a uncommon caliber. Really got into the 35 Whelen for a while, and has the advantage of standard cost dies, a mid range large game thumper. Never did the 338/06, but in hindsight would have been a better choice, a lot more bullets choices on the market, better BC/SD for the same class of game. These 35 Whelens were rechamber & rebore conversions of Mauser Mark X rifles from 30-06 to 35 Whelen, excellent work by JES the cost was under $250 each, including shipping.
    M1Riflenut and Sambane like this.
    "Should have put more dirt down, saw it right off." Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links