Rebore an 8mm Mauser to.... what? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: Rebore an 8mm Mauser to.... what?

Sidewinder
    Member #
    If reboring, I would say go with .338/06. It's any excessive metal loss, and you gain an awesome new round.
    If rebarreling, I would opt for .338 Federal, or something that you won't have to modify the bolt face, and keep it the .473 case head size.

Hawk

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

Wrangler
    Member #
    That rifle is awesome. I would leave it setup just the way it is if it were me and just rebore.
    Team 444 #708
    Team .35 #660
    Team .22 Mag #173
    Team 60 #403
    Team Glenfield #89

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I agree with bwillis80 (he beat me to it)...there is nothing wrong with the 8mm Mauser....It's a great 32 cal round.

redhawk
    The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Have you shot it yet? Nothing wrong with the 8mm is there? Good cartridge. That bore might surprise you with decent accuracy.

If it doesn't shoot well, then ya, a re-bore makes sense to me. I think I'd go with the 9.3x62, it's quite a cartridge!

Regards, Guy

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Lot of benefits to a rebore... no changes to sights, or stock, get to keep metal finish. Just keep new cartridge in same bolt face size (.473) . Note, not all 98’s will handle 30-06 case length in their magazines.
    Sambane, M700, M1Riflenut and 1 others like this.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M700 View Post
    Have you shot it yet? Nothing wrong with the 8mm is there? Good cartridge. That bore might surprise you with decent accuracy.

If it doesn't shoot well, then ya, a re-bore makes sense to me. I think I'd go with the 9.3x62, it's quite a cartridge!

Regards, Guy
    yup, I wanted to say that - excellent caliber.
    M700, M1Riflenut and loader like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I have an old 8mm Turkish Mauser I sporterized and have no reason to re-bore it. Its a good cartridge. Can't say the bore on it is ideal but I hot what I shoot at with it.

DEP
    M700 and M1Riflenut like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M700 View Post

Regards, Guy
    No I have not shot it yet and will be doing that first. I've had milsurp with bores like this and while their often adequate for plinking they are not tight groupers. If I keep the iron sights, which I want to do, it won't be a long range rifle anyway but would like it to be good to 150-200 yds.
    mikej likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    You have one VERY NICE Mauser sporter, done up nicely. Are there any gunsmith markings? If so there might be a significant value increase depending on who might have done the work. I looked into rebarreling cost using ER Shaw for an early CZ 243 sporter I picked up for a song but once you add up all the costs on top of the barrel itself you're looking at something north of $500!!! Once and if you find your pretty Mauser doesn't shoot well I would go the rebore route with JES in a 9 mm, 338 or 358 round that will work with your bolt face and action length. Take a good look around for brass and reloading dies costs, too. I think your current rifle's great appearance would be maintained with a rebore. I think it's too nice to screw around with and risk its appearance.

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    I've never done anything with my 8x57 Persian Carbine, not because I'm enamored by the 8mm, but more because it simply works. Bullet selections, all you need is one. This is the only rifle I have that gets J-bullets. All the rest get cast bullets, but My Best Girl gets 200gr Nosler Partitions over 50gr of BallC2. I worked up this load in 1984 for a Maine Moose Hunt. I was 2nd hunter on a tag and #1 hunter dictated first shot. He never took it, so we came home empty. Anyway, this load has been fullproof in Wyoming. Set the crosshairs and squeeze the trigger. The work just started. Being a 35 fan, IF I were to rebore, it would be a 35 something. Think I'll try some 30-06's in my magazine just for fit. CHOICES....
    M1Riflenut and tjmga like this.
    Sweetwater
    WDRA, Billy Dixon Em
    Team 35 Mbr #75
    Team 32 Mbr #27
    Team Old Pharts #226

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links