Making Do
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree236Likes

Thread: Making Do

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

Making Do

I was told that my daughter, who is an RN, had heard a recommendation to start sewing face masks out of cotton to handle the shortage. They can be rewashed adnd reused. Think about it a bit. Paper towels are at a shortage but my grandmother never had them an used regular towels. Washed them as needed. Toilet paper is pretty handy and we joked about possible substitutes but its still pretty handy. Bread was short for about a week at teh local grocery but now is back on the shelves. But we still can bake bread. Lots of skill from the past would come in pretty handy right now.

DEP

Wrangler
    Member #
    There is a lot to be said for skills that have been lost over the generations based on our present day consumerism and selfish - want it now - mentality. My wife and I were having this discussion several times as to how our parents and grandparents "made do" without modern conveniences. But even simple things like baking bread - I heard people are looking for bread machines at the second hand stores. Hmmmm how about making dough, letting it rise and then putting it into an oven - or even a dutch oven over hot coals?? And this is just the tip of the ice-berg. I appreciate your post northmn! Maybe this current situation will help us get back to simpler times? Maybe? Sorry but I'm skeptical. . .
    This is the day which the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

Team: .35 Rem #803; Team .30-30 #1462

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    People looking for bread machine! Oh man, thank you for the laugh, I needed one!

Here we don't just bake our own bread, we grind the grain too. Yes, we have to buy the grain, keep about 50 lbs. most ot the time. My wife is an amazing cast iron baker too. Younger people are sadly out of touch, if you can't order it on your cell phone they don't know how to get it. And there are exceptions to that too, we know some very capable youngsters!
    Timrekah1, mikom, 336 Fan and 6 others like this.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that makes a difference.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    The biggest shortage is Common Sense. In a lot of issues political correctness has to be defeated for common sense to prevail.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I got a 50lb sack of buckwheat I use as cover crop. this year it might just become pancakes, good thing I still got that old hand crank grain mill.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD13 View Post
    People looking for bread machine! Oh man, thank you for the laugh, I needed one!

Here we don't just bake our own bread, we grind the grain too. Yes, we have to buy the grain, keep about 50 lbs. most ot the time. My wife is an amazing cast iron baker too. Younger people are sadly out of touch, if you can't order it on your cell phone they don't know how to get it. And there are exceptions to that too, we know some very capable youngsters!
    One of the first things to go off the shelf at our local Wally World (following T.P.) was flour. I'm certain that half the people who bought it have no idea what to do with it - other than they read online that they should have it!!! I wish I had a mill to grind grain right now but I'm doubtful that there is a good source of clean wheat available that I would trust. It's great to know younger folks that have learned good skills - and likely common sense to accompany those skills. Thanks
    mikom, JohnD13, Kendawg and 5 others like this.
    This is the day which the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

Team: .35 Rem #803; Team .30-30 #1462

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    I was told that my daughter, who is an RN, had heard a recommendation to start sewing face masks out of cotton to handle the shortage. They can be rewashed adnd reused. Think about it a bit. Paper towels are at a shortage but my grandmother never had them an used regular towels. Washed them as needed. Toilet paper is pretty handy and we joked about possible substitutes but its still pretty handy. Bread was short for about a week at teh local grocery but now is back on the shelves. But we still can bake bread. Lots of skill from the past would come in pretty handy right now.

DEP
    My Granddaughter is a nurse in the Permian Basin Area ... one of the richest parts of the country. They are short - well not short - have no masks at the hospitals in two cities. Most all were stolen out of the hospitals by hospital workers. People are jewels aren't they.

Old skills ... LOL ... My daughter who now has 2 grown daughters and a grand kid of her own pulled out a sewing machine that my wife gave her 20+ years ago. Has never been used. She sewed at home some before leaving to be on her own. She was exposed to it by her mom and grandmother.

So out of necessity the machine was "resurrected" from it's storage place where ever it was buried. The hospitals had given notice they would pay for materials if people would make the masks and bring them in. Daughter made a trip to the internet and found patterns for making masks. An outing to the fabric store for materials. Then the fun began.

It was something to behold. Old skills meet modern technology. The daughter had trouble getting the sewing machine set up. Bobbins, foot pressure pads, threading paths, needle tensions, correct needles and a few other things. So what do you do ... you call Mom. Several long session on Facetime. Streaming live efforts to get things done. Questions asked, Facetime feeding the video stream live to Mom as she watched the goings on and gave instructions and suggestions. After about an hour of this give and take success was had.

By the end of the day 75 masks had been made. These weren't going to the hospital. Going to be used by the grand daughter, some of her co-workers, family members and some of my daughters friends family members who are nurses. In line to make another 50 or so in the next day or so after work.

Wife got her recipe down to make up a batch of bread starter and got the bread making unit out. We'll have homemade bread soon. That is a good thing. It am R goodish stuph.

The paper towel thing has been addressed here also ... old enough in this household to remember the "cup towel". So as of now ... 1 cup towel hanging by the kitchen sink for hand drying after washing them • one draped over the draining board rack beside the sink for quick and dirty drying of dishes and silverware that is going into the draining board awaiting the dishwasher • one in the cabinet with the dishes for use to dry dishes that need a little help coming out of the dishwasher. Paper towels relegated to only as needed jobs and for emergency if the toilet paper runs out. Toilet paper is something we haven't seen on shelves here in about 2 weeks.

Funny thing ... went to Wal Mart a couple of days ago - no paper towels - no toilet paper - a few different brands of Tissues. One package limit. So I hauled over to Automotive. Shop towels everywhere. Got 10 ... went to check out. The "cart police", Wal Mart workers, who were checking carts for items you were supposed to get only one of didn't even flinch at the 10 rolls of shop towels. It did cause 3 or 4 people in line that saw the towels to ask where they came from. I told them. They either pulled out of line and headed to automotive or sent people back. Would have liked to have been there for that battle. LOL

Out of the idiocy comes some good.

Last edited by rjtmac; 03-23-2020 at 11:04 AM.
    NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

Gunfighter
    Member #
    The upside today is anyone that has the desire can learn many of these skills through Youtube and countless other internet resources. For many, these traditions have been lost more than a few generations. I was on-line recently learning how to make soap with hardwood ash. We have plenty of soap, but it sounded interesting and I've got a winter's worth of hardwood ash. Maybe I'll give it a try
    JohnD13, VinceA, flatnose and 3 others like this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Funny thing ... went to Wal Mart a couple of days ago - no paper towels - no toilet paper - a few different brands of Tissues. One package limit. So I hauled over to Automotive. Shop towels everywhere. Got 10 ... went to check out. The "cart police", Wal Mart workers, who were checking carts for items you were supposed to get only one of didn't even flinch at the 10 rolls of shop towels. It did cause 3 or 4 people in line that saw the towels to ask where they came from. I told them. They either pulled out of line and headed to automotive or sent people back. Would have liked to have been there for that battle. LOL
    Similar thing. I couldn't find bleach anywhere and then I had a thought.

Pool chlorinator is the same thing so I dropped by the local hardware store and their pool supply section was fully stocked. I picked up several bottles of liquid pool chlorinator and the only difference is that the pool chlorinator is 10% Sodium Hypochlorite instead of the 6% of the Walmart bleach so I have to use less.
    northmn, JohnD13, VinceA and 8 others like this.
    Team 444 - #748
    Team 1894 - #546
    Team .35 Rem - #741

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    kah64-- I saw some of those--I forget what they were called but a couple barefoot guys in jungle, were making their own steel in a homemade mud clay furnace with high iron content rocks they found in a stream, they made the steel into crude but effective knives- they have a whole bunch of videos on just about every survival skill anyone could need--amazing stuff can be found on youtube
    VinceA, kah64, F150Grrl and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links