Making Do - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree236Likes

Thread: Making Do

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    The virus has brought this out, but I have seen it so much. Before she got married my oldest daughter did not bother to learn how to cook to any extent, she claimed restaurants were cheap enough. After she got on the usual marital budget we would get a call most nights, mostly starting out with MOM how do I make this? Her and her husband live close by now and they have a freezer gull of venison and other stuff and he makes his own venison sausage and cuts his own meat. I have cut my own deer for years. 14 days of quarantine would not be all that restrictive. I mean I have two daughters who would shop for the stuff that doe not keep like dairy goods and some foods. I mean they could leave it off at the door step and we could get it. Even if we were not given that type of food we would survive.

Getting by. When 22 shells were nonexistent I had a 32-20 and other bullet molds and handloading equipment. Heck I load shotgun shells and if not shot with a 22 I could use a shotgun. Even have a supply of black powder and a 25 muzzle loader. We had a shortage of ammo one year where 30-30 and 35 Remington were just not on shelves. Handloaded them.
    Cut firewood and make a lot of my own things. Wife has a garden and we freeze vegetables. Showed my makeshift gun carriers for my tractor and 4 wheeler, some laughed but they work.
    IMG_0073.jpgDeer stand made out of a lot of scrap lumber and cut the posts. They are selling some pretty nice deer blinds and stand systems for quite a chunk of change now. I can make a pretty nice set up for less than $200. Seen $500 price tags on just the blind. Used to make a lot of tree stands and made ground blinds out of the stuff around me. Carried some twine and made my X sticks to shoot from. Changed a lot of oil, replace a few brake pads and so forth. Reading White Clouds comments hit home. When I was a city administrator I did not live in the city. Could not stand to live under the situations I had to deal with. Neighbors in P----g matches with each other, ordinances over grass length, etc. I now live out int he country on a back road and just enjoy the solitude.

DEP
    Tomray, Vooch, marlinluvr and 3 others like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD13 View Post
    People looking for bread machine! Oh man, thank you for the laugh, I needed one!
    You think the bread machine is funny but how many people do you know who can cook rice on the stove?
    Tomray, KG, marlinluvr and 3 others like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    We have one of these ... just have to hook it up.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Tomray, F150Grrl, Krusty and 1 others like this.
    Never go down stairs with your hands in your pockets. - moi

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    KIMG0074_1585130846092.JPG my bread machine, don't know how to flip the picture
    F150Grrl, kah64 and gunscrewguy like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldtrigger View Post
    I got a 50lb sack of buckwheat I use as cover crop. this year it might just become pancakes, good thing I still got that old hand crank grain mill.
    If you're going to eat grains intended for seed, make darn sure that they weren't treated with fungicide. Fungicides are usually an organic mercury compound, a very potent neurotoxin. (Once the plant grows, the fungicide is not a problem.)

Fungicide is used to increase the germination rate of many seeds. Sometimes they're colored pink, but you can't be sure unless you check the label.
    Vooch, marlinluvr, northmn and 4 others like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by doubloon View Post
    You think the bread machine is funny but how many people do you know who can cook rice on the stove?
    Andy Rooney had a commentary once on what he sees in the frozen food sections. Many of the frozen offerings kind of get to me. Frozen egg muffin sandwiches for breakfast. Eggs are pretty easy to cook, muffins to toast and they do make sausages ready to fry or bacon. Rooney suggested that soon they will have frozen water just thaw to drink.

DEP
    F150Grrl, Kendawg and gunscrewguy like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstMarlin View Post
    We have one of these ... just have to hook it up.

Looks like something to dry your socks.
    F150Grrl and gunscrewguy like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    Andy Rooney had a commentary once on what he sees in the frozen food sections. Many of the frozen offerings kind of get to me. Frozen egg muffin sandwiches for breakfast. Eggs are pretty easy to cook, muffins to toast and they do make sausages ready to fry or bacon. Rooney suggested that soon they will have frozen water just thaw to drink.

DEP

Mr. Rooney had a keen mind along with a bent one ... he saw and extracted things most all of us would never see or perceive.

That DEFINITIVE voice and the DISTINCT verbal delivery is something I will always remember ... along with Cronkite ... Huntley ... Brinkley ... Harvey ... Graham ... Serling ... Cosell ... and others ... ( Kinda dating myself here )
    Goldtrigger, F150Grrl and JohnD13 like this.
    NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by doubloon View Post
    You're killing me here! Glad I just put my glass down!
    Kendawg and F150Grrl like this.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that makes a difference.

Deadeye
    Member #
    So does anyone think there's going to be a run on cloth diapers anytime soon
    F150Grrl and JohnD13 like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links