Making Do - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree236Likes

Thread: Making Do

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kah64 View Post
    The upside today is anyone that has the desire can learn many of these skills through Youtube and countless other internet resources. For many, these traditions have been lost more than a few generations. I was on-line recently learning how to make soap with hardwood ash. We have plenty of soap, but it sounded interesting and I've got a winter's worth of hardwood ash. Maybe I'll give it a try
    Lye soap is the best there is for curing poison ivy! Not a big problem around here right now. Some people find it a bit harsh but I never minded it myself.
    kah64, Tomray, F150Grrl and 1 others like this.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that makes a difference.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    TP is not on the shelves in my area. I think we have enough. If we start to run low, I THINK I have a source (haven't checked it out or stopped in to see 'cause I don't panic buy ahead of time). This "overlooked" source? The dealer where I bought my travel trailer (and have it serviced) has a very complete parts section, where they sell, among other items, TP for RV's. I've got 3 rolls in my camper from last season. I may need to buy more, for this year's camping season, of course . . .
    flatnose, kah64, F150Grrl and 1 others like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtmac View Post
    My Granddaughter is a nurse in the Permian Basin Area ... one of the richest parts of the country. They are short - well not short - have no masks at the hospitals in two cities. Most all were stolen out of the hospitals by hospital workers. People are jewels aren't they.

Old skills ... LOL ... My daughter who now has 2 grown daughters and a grand kid of her own pulled out a sewing machine that my wife gave her 20+ years ago. Has never been used. She sewed at home some before leaving to be on her own. She was exposed to it by her mom and grandmother.

So out of necessity the machine was "resurrected" from it's storage place where ever it was buried. The hospitals had given notice they would pay for materials if people would make the masks and bring them in. Daughter made a trip to the internet and found patterns for making masks. An outing to the fabric store for materials. Then the fun began.

It was something to behold. Old skills meet modern technology. The daughter had trouble getting the sewing machine set up. Bobbins, foot pressure pads, threading paths, needle tensions, correct needles and a few other things. So what do you do ... you call Mom. Several long session on Facetime. Streaming live efforts to get things done. Questions asked, Facetime feeding the video stream live to Mom as she watched the goings on and gave instructions and suggestions. After about an hour of this give and take success was had.

By the end of the day 75 masks had been made. These weren't going to the hospital. Going to be used by the grand daughter, some of her co-workers, family members and some of my daughters friends family members who are nurses. In line to make another 50 or so in the next day or so after work.

Wife got her recipe down to make up a batch of bread starter and got the bread making unit out. We'll have homemade bread soon. That is a good thing. It am R goodish stuph.

The paper towel thing has been addressed here also ... old enough in this household to remember the "cup towel". So as of now ... 1 cup towel hanging by the kitchen sink for hand drying after washing them • one draped over the draining board rack beside the sink for quick and dirty drying of dishes and silverware that is going into the draining board awaiting the dishwasher • one in the cabinet with the dishes for use to dry dishes that need a little help coming out of the dishwasher. Paper towels relegated to only as needed jobs and for emergency if the toilet paper runs out. Toilet paper is something we haven't seen on shelves here in about 2 weeks.

Funny thing ... went to Wal Mart a couple of days ago - no paper towels - no toilet paper - a few different brands of Tissues. One package limit. So I hauled over to Automotive. Shop towels everywhere. Got 10 ... went to check out. The "cart police", Wal Mart workers, who were checking carts for items you were supposed to get only one of didn't even flinch at the 10 rolls of shop towels. It did cause 3 or 4 people in line that saw the towels to ask where they came from. I told them. They either pulled out of line and headed to automotive or sent people back. Would have liked to have been there for that battle. LOL

Out of the idiocy comes some good.

This situation with supplies is sad and sobering. I can't understand why the military has not been put in charge of this a week ago. My old business partner and best friend in life spent 37 years at Patterson AFB involved in procurement , warehousing and distribution. And he was one heck of a story teller and this stories still stick with me today. These guys are the most efficient and prepared in the world and could whip this situation into shape in short order once given the task.
    kah64, F150Grrl and msharley like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    It is amazing how fast basic skills go away. I am retired now but if I had to start a survival commune with my ex-coworkers I would be be screwed. Few understand how to use and maintain a firearm. Fewer still carry or understand how to sharpen a pocket knife. Even less understand farming or growing things. I am convinced at least 98% of them would have no idea of how to field dress a deer or clean a fish. Carpentry? Isn't that something you have Mexicans do? Most all of them are too out of shape to do manual labor.

I was at Walmart on Friday. You could tell that some of the people were getting distressed. The COVID 19 thing is serious but it is not the end of civilization. I heard or read that if we have a long term grid down situation, we will have 90% losses in the U.S. I think this might be a good estimate.
    VinceA, Goldtrigger, bc069 and 5 others like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Gotta love all the resource the internet provides. Youtube, has a video for just about everything. I kind of have a love hate thing with Youtube, but it is a resource. I think most of my coworkers think I am crazy these days because I hunt, kill, clean, cut up and process all my own meat. I build most of my stuff I need and fix all the stuff around the house. Guess I am a dinosaur these days. However, if this situation persists I will have the last laugh. While I am eating good they might be hurting. Bruh ha ha.
    V
    kah64, northmn, marlinluvr and 3 others like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Vince, you are correct. My wife and I have always been like that. TP? You keep that stocked don't you? I have a feeling prepping is going to become real popular.
    VinceA and marlinluvr like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    We aren't what you'd call real preppers, but we have reserves. We have about 40 quarts of canned venison alone, not to mention a stocked freezer. Fortune favors the foolish in movies only. Those who don't prepare usually end up bad.
    V
    F150Grrl and Just Plain .22 like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I for one am at the point in life where I don't want to be forced to do without like my family did when I was growing up in the "50's; and I don't want to go back to the hippy era from the '60's when young "revolutionaries" used the movement for the purposes of not bathing, washing their clothes, never shaving, and generally as an excuse to be lazy. If I'm forced to compromise my life style, then I'm prepared to do so; but this is not the end of the world, and I'm amazed at the panic and stupidity exhibited by so many people. I'm sick of the flames of fear mongering being fanned by the news media and politicians, and am convinced that these people would rather destroy the country that sacrifice their power and influence.
    bc069, northmn and marlinluvr like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceA View Post
    We aren't what you'd call real preppers, but we have reserves. We have about 40 quarts of canned venison alone, not to mention a stocked freezer. Fortune favors the foolish in movies only. Those who don't prepare usually end up bad.
    V
    You sound like Clint Smith. That's a complement.
    Tomray and gunscrewguy like this.

KG
    Lil Sis Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD13 View Post
    People looking for bread machine! Oh man, thank you for the laugh, I needed one!

Here we don't just bake our own bread, we grind the grain too. Yes, we have to buy the grain, keep about 50 lbs. most ot the time. My wife is an amazing cast iron baker too. Younger people are sadly out of touch, if you can't order it on your cell phone they don't know how to get it. And there are exceptions to that too, we know some very capable youngsters!
    049 - Copy.JPG
    We have one of these, that's been on the fireplace for years. I can't imagine how tedious that would have been.

If there's no bread at the store, I just make crusty bread in the dutch oven.
    Last edited by KG; 03-23-2020 at 06:52 PM.
    Goldtrigger, kah64, Tomray and 3 others like this.
    KansasGirl
    A'deezhi

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links