Grandfather's .22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Grandfather's .22

Gunfighter
    Member #

Grandfather's .22

This rifle belonged to my maternal Grandfather and had been at my parents house for a while. I picked it up the other day because I wanted to clean it up a little and see how it shoots.

The rifle is labeled a Century Arms Bearcat .22 S,L,LR. As far as I can tell it's a store brand for Mossberg's Model B, and supposedly their first bolt action rifle, made from 1928-1932 for Shapleigh Hardware in St. Louis Mo.

My Grandfather owned two rifles ever and I never saw him shoot or even touch either one, this was one of them, the other being a .22 multi-pump air rifle. Both rifles hung on a rack in the breezeway of their house on the landing that led from the house to the basement.

I asked my mother about that recently. She told me someone had at one time convinced my grandfather to get the .22 to deal with a problem animal around his farm. After he shot the animal, he felt so bad about it that he never used it again. I can believe that. Other than his stubborn German streak that was a mile wide, he was still probably the most humble, peaceful, caring person I've known.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Waffletop, 4T57T, DRSLYR and 17 others like this.
    Team 444 - #748
    Team 1894 - #546
    Team .35 Rem - #741

Wrangler
    Member #
    Nice heirloom! A little TLC and it will look great. Let us know how it shoots.
    Mavrik and Merle1 like this.
    We all have it coming, kid.
    As the riders loped on by him, he heard one call his name
    "If you want to save your soul from hell a' ridin' on our range"
    "Then cowboy change your ways today or with us you will ride"
    "A-tryin' to catch the Devil's herd across these endless skies."

Gunfighter
    Member #
    The bore looks great, which is in contrast to the outside which doesn't really have any bluing left on it. There wasn't ever any rust though which is somewhat surprising I think since it sat in his non-climate controlled breezeway for probably 50-60yrs.
    Gareth Holland and Merle1 like this.
    Team 444 - #748
    Team 1894 - #546
    Team .35 Rem - #741

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavrik View Post
    Shapleigh Hardware in St. Louis Mo.
    Shapleigh was a big outfit back in the day, when I was a kid growing up my uncle Joe had a lot of old stuff in his garage including a sled from them.
    I've remembered the name ever since.
    Merle1, Mavrik and Sparkyup like this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffletop View Post
    Shapleigh was a big outfit back in the day, when I was a kid growing up my uncle Joe had a lot of old stuff in his garage including a sled from them.
    I've remembered the name ever since.
    I wasn't familiar with name but when I googled it I saw it was one of the huge warehouse style buildings downtown.
    Waffletop likes this.
    Team 444 - #748
    Team 1894 - #546
    Team .35 Rem - #741

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Single shot?
    Mavrik likes this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Make sure you store it where some druggies can't run through the house and snatch it. My Grandfather's Steven's favorite 1915 model was stolen from a snatch and grab robbery at a small gunsmith's shop. I've looked for it ever since.
    Merle1, Gareth Holland and Mavrik like this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HIKayaker View Post
    Single shot?

Yes, single shot and have to pull back on the knob to cock the rifle after working the bolt. I actually don't know how common that is since I don't have too many other single shots but my daughters Cricket .22 works the same way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Team 444 - #748
    Team 1894 - #546
    Team .35 Rem - #741

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by reivertom View Post
    Make sure you store it where some druggies can't run through the house and snatch it. My Grandfather's Steven's favorite 1915 model was stolen from a snatch and grab robbery at a small gunsmith's shop. I've looked for it ever since.
    It's staying locked up, I'm certainly not leaving it hanging in a breezeway like my grandfather did. It's almost amazing that it wasn't grabbed at some point.

On a similar note, I still don't know what happened to my Great Aunt's Winchester 20ga Pump she kept loaded by the backdoor. I once asked her why it was there and she said she kept it there for that pesky groundhog that lived under the barn about a 100ft away. I always had an amusing mental image of my sweet old tiny 5ft nothing great aunt kicking open the door and taking potshots at that groundhog.

In any event, that shotgun disappeared sometime between when she went into the nursing home but before she died. I wouldn't have inherited it anyway, so I hope one of the other relatives ended up with it, but no one mentioned it at all when going through her estate and god knows the family was fighting about everything else because she never had kids so everything got split between a dozen or so nieces/nephews.
    Gareth Holland and Merle1 like this.
    Team 444 - #748
    Team 1894 - #546
    Team .35 Rem - #741

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavrik View Post
    Yes, single shot and have to pull back on the knob to cock the rifle after working the bolt. I actually don't know how common that is since I don't have too many other single shots but my daughters Cricket .22 works the same way.
    Very common. I had a Stevens SS I bought for my daughter to shoot squirrels with and it used shorts. She got a lot with it and you had to pull back the bolt. It was an option on many WWII military rifles. The Russian Moisens used it and my old 303 Brit has a handle that can be used that way. 22's often keep a good bore as the ammo lubricates the bore. There have arguments ad nauseum as to whether on should clean them even.

I have an old Mossberg repeater I should clean up. It is a heirloom as I shot it when I was a kid an my father used it. He made a rack on his tractor when he farmed and shot numerous ground squirrels and fox with it. I got a few cotton tails and fox squirrels with it. It was very accurate.

DEP
    Golphin likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links