Looking to upgrade my storage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Looking to upgrade my storage

Sidewinder
    Member #

Looking to upgrade my storage

I'm currently using a Stack On gun locker, but I think I want to upgrade to something a little stronger to protect my investments. I'm looking into the Liberty Safe Centurion, though I'm open to suggestions.

I'm looking to get the best for under $1000 that would protect my guns from burglars with crow bars, waterproof/fireproof I don't care so much about, so long as it's sturdy.

I definitely prefer a mechanical lock over an electrical combination lock. I don't trust electronic stuff when I need it to definitely work.

Any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I agree on the mechanical lock and the best advice I got was to buy the biggest safe possible, because you will run out of room( and don’t believe the number they give for how many guns they hold).
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Buy the biggest you can afford. Safes are never big enough. Liberty makes a good safe.

You'll soon have at least two safes. Pay now or pay later.

Make sure you have it close to power. Good to have a light inside, and also power for a dehumidifier stick. Don't bother with the water absorbers or the rechargeable units. No way to tell when they're saturated. They don't work nearly as long as you'd expect.
    Golphin, kah64, doubloon and 1 others like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Agree with others, get the biggest thing in your budget. Down here on the Third Coast you can find decent prices at places like Tractor Supply so don't get stuck on the idea it has to come from a gun place or a sport place.

When I upgraded my safe for size I put the old safe to work storing ammo ... they're both out of room now.

The old safe didn't have a fire rating and neither does the new safe, works for me but maybe not for everybody.

Don't get too hung up on the burglar rating. House burglars aren't safe crackers, they will either cut it open with an angle grinder where the steel is thinner (side or back) or haul it away on a dolly and open it somewhere else.
    kah64 and shawlerbrook like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    ChrisZ96 I am also currently on the hunt for more storage. Im having a hard time finding them in stock anywhere. DIcks, Tractor Supply and Cabelas seem to be out of stock on any of the ones I want to look at. It would be nice to be able to open them and look em over. The Centurion Im looking at says it holds 24 firearms but it isnt much bigger than my current 12 gun cabinet. They must be including handguns?

Keep us updated on your findings please.
    kah64 and shawlerbrook like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Sturdy Safe. Even if you don't buy, their website has a lot of good info on what makes a good safe. Get the biggest you can afford!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magman View Post
    Sturdy Safe. Even if you don't buy, their website has a lot of good info on what makes a good safe. Get the biggest you can afford!
    This ^^^^^
    shawlerbrook and doubloon like this.

Site Contributor II Contributing Member
    Member #
    doubloon, in #4, speaks of thieves wheeling your safe away on a "dolly", which is not unheard of.
    FWIW,my safe is Dyna-bolted to the concrete slab that the house is built on.
    Marlin 39A Lyman 66 peep

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I agree with the biggest safe you can afford. Keep an eye out for sales. I got my 64 gun safe on sale and it was the display so I got a discount for that too. If you do get a big safe, be careful. I would have rather paid for it to be brought in than to have me and my buddies do it. Those big safes get sketchy quick when stairs are involved.
    shawlerbrook and kah64 like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I wold go with Liberty and while some think a mechanical lock is better a electronic lock has advantages. One being a lot faster to open. If it is a Liberty you are good with either as if they fail there will be help around the corner.
    kah64 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links