FIRST TIME GUN BUYER NEEDS HELP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

FIRST TIME GUN BUYER NEEDS HELP

Hey guys... I'm a college kid who wants to get into the lifestyle of shooting and hunting more. I hear that Marlin lever-action 30-30s are a lot of fun, easy to keep-up, relatively inexpensive, and capable of taking down deer etc. I've shot my friend's 30-30 a lot and love the action, the weight, how it fires, and everything about it.

What do you guys think I need to know/consider before I purchase? Is this a good first gun? Should I look elsewhere first?

Thanks a lot, guys!

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #

Re: FIRST TIME GUN BUYER NEEDS HELP

Welcome to Marlin Owners young gun! It sounds to me like you have already done your home work! Here's a good read for you before you catch the dreaded Marlinitus!

https://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,52558.0.html

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Welcome aboard YoungGun!

That would be an OUTSTANDING choice for a first rifle. Back it up with a .22 rifle for practice and you'll be well on your way to a happy life of shooting!

My first rifle was a Winchester 94 in .30-30, which was sold off long ago. Hang on to the first one you get! It'll make a great heirloom for your kids.

Jon
    IITimothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
    In order: Marlins 1894C, Golden 39M, 1894CSS, 1894 .45 Colt, 795, 1894CL .25-20
    Team 1894 Member #29!
    Team 39 Member #18!
    Marlin League #8!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by youngGun1508
    What do you guys think I need to know/consider before I purchase? Is this a good first gun? Should I look elsewhere first?
    Thanks a lot, guys!
    It's an excellent choice for a first time gun buyer and an excellent choice for anyone. You'll save money by going used (I would encourage this) and the post provided by "lever addict" is a good place to start before considering this. You should be able to find a clean used 336 for $300-$350 +/-. Less if your lucky, and possibly with a scope and amenities. Take your time and you'll find a good deal somewhere - enjoy the search!

Welcome to the forum!
    "We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected". - Thoreau

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Welcome, from Myrtle Beach, S.C. T REX

Super Site Contributor - Team 35 Remington Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Welcome to MOs from NE Florida, and I second the motion on looking for a nice used Marlin. There are scads of them out there at reasonable prices. Check out the sticky by Tomray in the 336 section on tips for buying a used Marlin.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Welcome from upstate NY. You've chosen a good time of year to go on the prowl for a used 336. Hunting season ended recently in most states, and many people turn in their guns to generate cash, or to trade for something else. Because the guns shops do not have nearly as many avid buyers at this time of year, they will be more willing to dicker on price now than during the early fall. Do not let the age difference between you and the shop owner deter you from offering well below the sticker price. If you would like advice, jot down some facts about a particular gun you are interested in, and then post it on Marlinowners for pricing information.

I second the motion to get a .22 sometime soon. You should be able to find a used bolt action for $75 or less. Also, gun gear (ammo, scopes, reloading equipment, etc,) make great gifts from family members and friends who otherwise don't know what to get for someone your age. Feed them suggestions.

As mentioned above, Tomray's article is a great way to learn about potential problems so you can avoid buying a lemon.

Again, welcome, and please let us know what you decide to purchase.

El Kabong
    Member #

My first lever was a 30-30 Marlin. Then I bought a Winchester 1894 30wcf (Winchesters invented the 30wcf, Marlin coined the term 30-30)

It takes less than a minute to take the Marlin apart, you need a screw driver.
    It takes about a minute to put the Marlin back together.

The Marlin has 5 parts

It takes 2-3 minutes to take apart a Winchester, two screw drivers.
    It takes a half hour to put the Winchester back together.

The Winchester has a baggie full of parts, screws, and pins.

They both shoot about the same.

As far is which one you want to buy. Decide first if you want a straight stock, or pistol grip. Get the standard 20 inch barrel.

Hit the search on this forum, go to you tube and find how to use a "Lee Classic Loader". If you have questions about reloading, ask Me or any of the guys here.

Roll your own, while watching TV

It dont get no better than this

“Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Only thing I would add is to get a .22 for practice if you don't have one. A Marlin 795 or used marlin 60 are inexpensive options. Outside of those two, the Savage Model 64 is the other option.

As for the Marlin 30-30. Excellent choice, lots of fun, mild recoil, and leverguns just plain look cool. 30-30's are allowed in cowboy lever action silhouette competition too.

One other thing. If you really want to improve your marksmanship skills, go to an Appleseed shoot.
    www.appleseedinfo.org

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

The 30-30 is not only a fine first gun it's a fine anytime gun. This gun/cartridge combination has been America's deer rifle for longer than any of us here have been alive. It's not fancy but it works all the time as long as the one holding it does their part. Practice practice practice..........

MM
    Account Closed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links