Model 36 r???
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Model 36 r???

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Model 36 r???

Hi everyone....new to the site here. I recently inherited an older Marlin lever action rifle. The Barrel is stamped "The Marlin Firearms Co. New Haven Conn USA- EST 1870" Then below that..."MODEL 36 R ' -30-30----------A". (There is either an apostrophe or part of another letter that did not get properly stamped following the R) Then on the top of the receiver "Marlin Safety". There is a serial number stamped on the tang on the underside where the lever closes D8##. I am just trying to get a little info on the gun and there does not seem to be much out there. Any ideas on how old this gun is and where to get replacement parts . I noticed the ejector spring is is broken off on one side. Also the the lever does not stay up when closing the action. It will drop about 3/4" like there is something missing inside to hold it up. I know this seems to be a simple rifle on the inside, but I can not figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.

Site Contributor & Team 444 Co-Captain Super Moderator
    Member #

Re: Model 36 r???

I will offer up a Welcome aboard first! Now take yourself down the forum listings to the Reference section and do some nosing in there, you'll find posts on dating the rifle, in gunsmithing how to take your rifle apart, and stickies at the top that help point the way to various problems and remedies.
    D-- makes your rifle a 1947 YOM found here:
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...pic,495.0.html
    I believe that this will help with maintenance even though your rifle is older things haven't changed much:
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,26786.0.html
    and as to the lever not staying in place, either the lever plunger is depressed and not sticking out of the lever or the catch bar it's suppose to engage is missing and /or bent. pic here: https://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,32010.0.html

a pic or two would be appreciated and with that I'm sure others will chime in shortly. Mr fixit
    TO ARMS!!
    Team 444 Co-Captain
    Member #168 1994 444SS
    "The only chance you get to do it right....is the first time."

There are Rules...Read Them!! CYA.....Cover your ass!
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/s...ite-rules.html

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure the experts will chime in here shortly, I'm thinking the letter behind the R might be a C, but I'm no expert on anything, much less specific models and years of manufacture. Just wanted to say hi, and to remind you that a flu shot will NOT stop the onset of Marlinitis, so get used to the idea that you'll soon need more, and start shopping now.
    “In the last week alone: A 15 y/o Trump supporter was attacked. A Republican voter registration booth was ran over. A California GOP HQ was vandalized. A 50 y/o man was punched after just being mistaken for a Trump supporter. And the media has been silent. I wonder why?” —Charlie Kirk

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #

You might get better results in the Marlin Collectors forum.

I'm not fully up on the Model 36, but I do think it a bit unusual for one to have the old Marlin Safety stamp on top of the reciever.

https://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...oard,12.0.html
    Marlins in 44-40. Whacking varmits since 1888

Team 44-40
    Team 1894

Site Contibutor Super Moderator
    Member #

Mine says Marlin saftey. Its probably an RC & the C is screwed up. Is it a carbine?

You ca get an ejector from Wizners or Numrich, its the same part as a 1893. The lever latch is the same as a 336 or 1894 so you can just buy one once you figure out why yours aint latching shut.
    Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/
    Team 1894 member#146
    Team 45/70 member#458
    Freedoms not free!
    Support your NRA!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thank you all for your responses. I am going to try again to upload some pictures of the gun. Something didn't work before. In one of the pictures you will see a screwdriver pointing to a pin on the lever that seems to be depressed and stuck in that position. MRFIXIT- is this the pin that may not be catching the lever in the up position?

Tenderfoot
    Member #

a few more pictures

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I would like to add my welcome to the site.
    I too have a model 36, and from your information, and pictures, the plot thickens.
    My carbine's barrel band covers the letters "RC", the receiver top is unmarked and not drilled for a scope mount. The serial number on the lower tang is D5XX. It would appear they were made reasonable close together, so I can't explain the "Marlin Safey" wording on your carbine, and absent from mine. In theory yours would of been made shortly after mine. I just know mine shoots better than I can see. I have a Redfield side mount peep and factory front sight on mine. Good luck with yours. Shenandoah
    All our life we trade our time for money, hoping to make enough money to do what we dream of, before we run out of time.

Never remove a fence without learning why the fence was put up in the first place.

US Army (Ret)

Member HYPHEN-ATED GANG (Cal 32-40)
    Team 30-30 - member 399
    12.7x44R Swede
    Team Old Pharts - member XXIV

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #

Welcome WBAYOU! No worries bro. There's enough info here that you will have that gun in working order in no time. If you get stuck just ask as we are all here to help. It won't take long and you will be a Marlin expert. I never turned a screw on a Marlin before I joined here!

If you can't fix it then send it off to me and i'll get her runnin up to par! Then i'd have to test her out. It could take a while before I get her back to you though! My turn around time is a couple years!

Site Contributor & Team 444 Co-Captain Super Moderator
    Member #

WBAYOU, sure does look like your plunger is stuck in the lever, try some oil on it but chances are your going to have to drive out the pin and replace the spring as it may be broken or compressed. Mr fixit
    TO ARMS!!
    Team 444 Co-Captain
    Member #168 1994 444SS
    "The only chance you get to do it right....is the first time."

There are Rules...Read Them!! CYA.....Cover your ass!
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/s...ite-rules.html

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links