Like Tree25Likes
  • 15 Post By rjtmac
  • 2 Post By micmoslof
  • 1 Post By Marlinjunkie
  • 2 Post By T REX
  • 2 Post By mrguvna
  • 2 Post By rjtmac
  • 1 Post By Cascade Jinx

Thread: Had a GREAT DAY yesterday ... Didn't know it until 5:00 pm ... but a GREAT DAY

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Had a GREAT DAY yesterday ... Didn't know it until 5:00 pm ... but a GREAT DAY

This will mean little to most but was a BIG DEAL to me.

Over the last 3 1/2 years I have ordered custom exotic wood dowels 2 or 3 times from a company online - Dowelsondemand.com. The owner has this business in Canada. He makes dowels to order from a list of woods he posts on his site. I have searched and searched for some place else that provides what he does but it does not exist that I can find. He makes perfect diameter size dowels. If you cut a 3/8" hole his dowels fit perfect and snug every time and the same for every size I have ever gotten from him.

In my stock repair projects the need for these dowels is a constant thing. I need them for several different project uses.

All that for this. My supply has been low for quite a while. In the last 8 months I have tried and tried to make contact with him through his website messenger and his email. The efforts had produced no results. I would read on different forums every once in a while about another person trying to get in contact with him to make an order but with the same result.

About 3 weeks ago I made one last DESPERATE attempt at contact knowing full well I was wasting my time. One day after my message to him he answered - and said he could fill an order. Got it sent to him. He came back and told me he could no longer fill orders like the one I had sent with dowel lengths shorter than 16" because of the way his tooling was it was too much waste to do it otherwise. Sent him back a revised order.

Then time stopped again and no reply back confirming the order or the changes. I thought I was right back where I started - no joy ...

I came in from the shop today to take a break, get a soft drink and a snack. Went to the den, sat in my chair and grabbed the laptop. Hadn't had in my lap 2 minutes and DING - DING - DING ... 3 email notices. One email - notification of package label made for a shipment from dowelsondemand. 2nd email notification of payment due ... 3rd email was tracking information for the delivery of my dowels.

GREAT DAY ... this information eliminates a lot of worry and a lot of stress. It will be another GREAT DAY in 9 days ... My Birthday - it won't be a
    GREAT DAY because it is my Birthday it will be a GREAT DAY because my present will be the package of dowels arriving that day.

I have 3 projects I know that I am going to be able to proceed with now because of this order. Funny how some little things in life seem so important ... LOL

I emailed the owner of dowelsondemand and told him he would be getting another order within the week. Going to make an order about 4 times the size of the one I am getting. That should keep me in stock for a WHIIIIIIIIIIIILE ...
    Last edited by rjtmac; 01-23-2020 at 02:22 AM.
    NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Nice when things go your way! Thank you for the updates on your projects!
    Judson and Marlinjunkie like this.
    "If I don't make it, Josey... I want ya to know, I'm prouder than a game rooster to have rid with ye."

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Now we get to see some more projects! That's a win/win.
    marlin54 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I think I would "stock up" on that next order "just in case"! Could be he's planning on going out of business, just a thought. T Rex
    marlinluvr and rjtmac like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    you are correct sir, it is all about the little things....................than make us truly happy.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    In a pinch I have made walnut and maple dowels by drilling through a steel plate and counter sinking it to get a sharper edge. I then cut the squares and planed off the sides a bit and hammer them through the dowel plate, Probably much easier to buy them.

DEP

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    In a pinch I have made walnut and maple dowels by drilling through a steel plate and counter sinking it to get a sharper edge. I then cut the squares and planed off the sides a bit and hammer them through the dowel plate, Probably much easier to buy them.

DEP

I have been debating for several years on whether or not to by some wood plug cutters and going that route ...

2 things keep holding me back ... well 3 really ...

1) From the research I have done I just don't know if the plugs will be as precise a size as I need. My tolerance requirements are very small.

2) Just finding some of the exotic woods to make the plugs from is also a problem.

3) $$$$$$ - taint a cheap buy in to get a set of cutters like I would want.

Well, could be 4 reasons ... does lazy count ?

micmoslof and northmn like this.
    NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtmac View Post
    I have been debating for several years on whether or not to by some wood plug cutters and going that route ...

2 things keep holding me back ... well 3 really ...
    1) From the research I have done I just don't know if the plugs will be as precise a size as I need. My tolerance requirements are very small.

2) Just finding some of the exotic woods to make the plugs from is also a problem.

3) $$$$$$ - taint a cheap buy in to get a set of cutters like I would want.

Well, could be 4 reasons ... does lazy count ?

Yep it counts! It is my primary reason for not getting a lot of things done! Just ask my wife, she will verify it!

CJ
    northmn likes this.
    USN RET Team 35 member #33

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links