Hornady 7x30 Waters gummy ammo !!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Hornady 7x30 Waters gummy ammo !!!

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #

Hornady 7x30 Waters gummy ammo !!!

Even though I am not a big fan of the Leverevolution ammo( only use it in my 35 Rem.) it is a pleasant surprise to see some attention paid to this great levergun round. Wonder if someone is planning to make a rifle ? Doesn’t seem like it makes commercial sense to produce this ammo unless it’s just a one off. Not complaining though.
    C4D16160-20EA-4C43-B8B2-126BB9BA271A.png
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Hornady does a great job of bring obscure cartridges back! They may lose money on it but probably get more in return with customer loyalty
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    After looking at the ammo though I must admit at 2700 fps I believe they used the wrong bullet. Their mono bullet is better suited to those high velocities. Both 30 cal FTX bullets are pushing their limits with muzzle velocity over 2550 fps.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Maybe it will be Winchesters next shot show special run?
    shawlerbrook likes this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I shoot the Nosler Balistic Tip in 120 gr with Win 748 for 2650 fps with no complaints out of my 22 inch barreled G2 Bullberry contender carbine.in 7-30 waters. I really could care less about the new gummy tipped ammo but am glad some more options are available. It seems like it is terrible to talk bad about the gummy tipped bullets but they have let me down in 35 Rem and also my friend has had bad luck with them. Good hits on deer and they seem to run too far with small exit holes in them. They are by far the most accurate rounds I ever shot in a 35 Rem but the performance was lacking in my opinion.
    shawlerbrook likes this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I’m a die hard Hornady bullet shooter. A good 80% of jackets I shoot are Hornady. The FTX is accurate but in larger bores I shoot 35, 44 and 45 XTPs and they shoot as well or better than FTX. Killing power is not something that I waste time arguing. When you shoot a 100lb deer with a 45/70 you expect it to be dead and fancy tip on bullet has little to do with it. No way I’d switch from Hornady 200gr RN to FTX bullet in my 35s.

Having said that the FTX bullets are the choice for new rifle hunters. Most are shooting FTX out of 1895 Guide series rifles. They swear by them and wouldn’t use anything else.
    shawlerbrook and no primers like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    The gummy bullets are advertised similar to the interlock in that they are designed to use the cannelure to hold the jacket on the lead. They may not expand quite as large as some of the other bullets. I have not had an issue with them. One deer did run a bit when hit through the lungs with one, but most do. Sometimes I think that may be due to whether a rib was hit or not. Not a big exit hole but what was under the skin was more impressive. A lot of deer shot up here don't seem to bleed much, winter coat and fat seem to close things up. T still use the gummy's. They work better up close than the blunt ones do farther away.

DEP
    shawlerbrook likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I will never buy another one. At 136 yards with a Marlin 308 ME 160 grain FTX the bullet did not pass through. it went through the rib cage and lungs struck the off shoulder bones and broke them but stopped right there. The jacket had separated from the lead. What I had left was 57 grains of lead. The jacket was in the gut pile. The deer bang flopped and kicked but never ran. I want exit holes. My Marlin XL-7 in .270 put down two deer this year one at 175 yards and the other at 208 yards. 130 grain GMX Superformance. Pass throughs.
    FTX1.jpgFTX2.jpg
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I shot a 6pt at 20 yards standing perfectly broadside with a 200 gr FTX from bolt action 35 rem model seven and I looked up after the shot expecting him to be lying on the ground , the bullet went perfectly into his left shoulder and came out in the middle of his right shoulder, as I looked up he was running wide open with his left leg sticking straight out off the ground (in other words running on three legs). I thew another shot at him at around 50 yards and he ran a ways more and turned into a patch of underbrush a flea could not get thru. I got out of my stand and looked for blood and thee was none so I went to where he had run into the brush and saw him tangled in vines about 20 yards inside the brush, he had a tickle of blood in his nose and that was the only blood. The bullet hole was caliber size in and out, I could barely get the tip of my little finger into the exit hole. I gave the deer to a man who was on the lease with me and he has since moved away but I wish I had asked him what kind of damage was on the inside of the deer. I know that shoulder shot deer sometimes run a ways and blood is sometimes scarce on the ground. Maybe the bullet performed the way it should have but I could not get the little exit hole out of my mind so I went back to the 200 gr rem corelock not trusting the FTX. I sold the rifle to a friend and he shot two deer last year and made a killing shot on both of them but almost did not find them because they ran quite a ways before expiring. With the FTX the model seven would shoot three shots into the same hole at 100 yards, I have done it numerous times and so has he but while accuracy is very important so is outright killing power so I will stick to a good cup and core 200 gr bullet in the 35 rem.
    shawlerbrook, Da Duke and Maineiac like this.

"Opinionated Texan" Super Moderator
    Member #
    i wish now i had my 7-30 waters back...
    one reason i let it go is lack of available bullets.
    i still remember the time i called hornady to ask
    them about making this very bullet...i told them
    there was interest in the 7/30 waters cal in levergun
    enthusiasts...the guy on the other end of the phone
    laughed at me.

now i'd like to take a 308MX and neck it down........
    shawlerbrook and Maineiac like this.
    Navajo
    Lever-Action Addict
    Savage 99 fan
    MXLR fan
    Full-Blood Texan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links