Wanted - opinions on electronic safe locks
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Wanted - opinions on electronic safe locks

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

Wanted - opinions on electronic safe locks

Not sure where to put this, so I put it here -

I've found a big gun safe, on sale, but it has an electronic lock. Punch in numbers instead of the regular old style dial type lock.

Looking for opinions about this type of lock, please! My instincts say the old dial is best, but I could buy this thing NOW with my savings - and it's very tempting.

So, what say the brethren about these eee-lectronic, push-button safe locks? Yeah or nay?

And thank you for your input!
    The world is a tuxedo, and I'm a pair of brown shoes.....

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Old dial's are best IMO. Sargent and Greenleaf. Mine came with an electronic keypad but I had a safe locksmith change it out to a dial.
    You trade some convenience for reliability.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffletop View Post
    Old dial's are best IMO. Sargent and Greenleaf. Mine came with an electronic keypad but I had a safe locksmith change it out to a dial.
    Thank you!
    The world is a tuxedo, and I'm a pair of brown shoes.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    Electronic locks are fine until the unit fails. If that happens you'll have to get someone from the company out or someone that can figure out how to open your safe. UNLESS it has a key backup. Which is what I went with. Even if my keypad fails mine unscrews and there's a special long key that fits in a little slot.
    I like the ease of opening and god forbid I need something out of that safe in seconds I can open it that fast. Also mine has the traditional 3 handled wheel to open the lugs. Not an electronic type.
    Team 35 Rem #781 JM 336 in 35 Remington
    Team 30-30 #1438 JM 336 in 30-30
    Team 38-55 #27 Mdl 1893 in 38-55
    Team 1894 #586 JM 1894 in 44 mag
    Team 22 Mag #190 XT-22M
    Team Henry #146 Frontier 22LR
    Team Wheel Gun #131
    Team Semi-Auto #75
    Team Old Pharts #389

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffletop View Post
    I agree--while in the Army--the only vault doors I had problems with were the ones with the digital dial locks. The locksmiths loved those digital dials--money in the bank for them when they came to drill out the door frame around the lock.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have a dial safe for over 30yrs. not one issue (knock on wood.)

A couple of friends brought a new electronic safe recently on the holiday sale. many safe have gone electronic. If you do go electronic, go with a good brand safe.

from my experience it's easier/quicker to access a electronic safe (a couple push of a button) vs. the dial (pass the # and you'll have to start all over. lol). but I'm still happier with my dial safe.
    Electronic it's great when it works. I have heard of some electronic pads going bad, but the company did fix them for free.

I do like electronic in some things, but I don't need it in my safe. I tend to think, the more high-tech it is the more likely it will lead to headaches down the road (that's just me.)

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Go to YouTube and look up the Lock Picking Lawyer. He has over 1,000 videos posted, and can pretty much get into any lock; manual dial, key, fingerprint, or electronic. He's sure to have info on a safe with electronic lock.

I only have one question. Is there a bypass in the event the electrics fail?
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    When the Reds or NKorea launch an nuclear EMF burst over the country the electronic pads will be toast and you wont be able to get your guns before the apocalypse/invasion starts.
    You will be left with your pants around your ankles.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    The simpler the better.
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    FLASH BACK: Spring 2016:

I had a electronic combination lock issue with my then ten year old Champion safe. Would not open, even after installing 2 new batteries. Combination was changed once that day safe was installed to a combination I selected.

Called the dealer who advised me to call Champion Safe. After jumping through a few hoops, Champion sent out a loaner key pad. Still did not open.

Dealer representative came out and unsuccessfully tried several Champion provided "master codes" as well as new batteries. He called Champion and again unsuccessfully tried another master code. Dealer rep drilled out the safe door to remove the computer chip, open it up, and install a time-tested S & G dial lock.

Old lock sent back to Champion to test it. Champion found a problem in the computer chip as there was power from the battery/key pad to the computer chip. For someone reason, the computer chip would not accept the combination or the master codes. Learned the difficult way that electronic safe door looks are unreliable and like a home computer, they will fail. All that for a mere US$475.00, tax included.

The Bottom Line: an electronic lock has a small computer chip to operate. Computers fail and it is not if it fails, but when....
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 12-04-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    In real life may you be the bad ass you claim to be on social media....

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links