Has anyone tried ALCOHOL!!??!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Has anyone tried ALCOHOL!!??!!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Has anyone tried ALCOHOL!!??!!

I tend to look for the "beaters" when I am at the funshows. They are usually priced right, and many times they are overlooked because of their appearance or that they don't function as well as they could.
    Often times a good cleaning is all that is needed to bring that sorrowful old dog back to life.

We all have our favorite cleaning solutions. I have to say I am starting to use alcohol more and more to clean my guns. It is cheap, most of us have a bottle in the house, and I find that a bowl of alcohol, a toothbrush and an old t-shirt or piece of cotton will have all of the gunk inside that action gone in a jiffy.
    Dries completely away, so be sure and put some oil in there after you finish. I have found it does no harm to bluing, or case coloring.
    I have been pleasantly surprised at how well it will clean a gun.
    Try it. you have little to lose.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pay no attention to the mess in my shop. My best work comes from chaos!

Wrangler
    Member #
    I love ALCOHOL!

Never tried to clean with it other than my tonsils.
    I like it. I love it. Can't get enough of it.

Lever Action Silhouette Rifle - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    The problem with drug store rubbing alcohol is that it contains water. If you're going to use it as cleaning solvent, make sure you oil well afterwards.

If you feel the need to use alcohol, buy straight isopropyl alcohol from the hardware store.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Lab-grade alcohol is over 99% pure isopropyl alcohol. It works well on grease and oil, but can leave behind a little dirt.
    I’ve used plastic-safe brake cleaner on my actions to flush out the crap in the crevices.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I bought surgical grade alcohol, I think the purist you can get. It is more expensive than others. Using the cheap stuff to degunk isn't a problem since you with be drying and oiling anyway. For really gunked up guns I remove the wood and start will gasoline. It will cut cosmoline from pre WW2. It would take a lot of elbow grease with any alcohol to do that. Gunk is making solvents that are good too but cost more than gas but don't have flammable fumes. Anything you strip a gun with will take lube with it. Some solvents have to be rinsed with water to stop their cleaning action.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Wrangler
    Member #
    I use cheap isopropyl to swab out my barrel after cleaning it with powerful solvent. I dry patch and oil afterwards. I think it gets more of the solvent out of the lands / grooves than just dry patching, but I don't know that it does....
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have used alcohol for years, especially on my pistols.
    Team 39 #474, Team 60 #445, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #163, Team 22 Magnum #172
    Team Glenfield #85, Team 30-30 #1370, Team 32 Special #162, Team 35 #749, Team 444 ​#761
    Team 45/70 #1831, ​Team Marlin Express

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Alcohol is hygroscopic. It will begin to collect water vapor from the air as soon as the container is opened. When alcohol is distilled, it cannot be concentrated beyond approximately 90% because of the water that follows with it. But alcohol will also accelerate the evaporation of whatever water may be dissolved in it, or what water it may mix with. This is not necessarily a problem, as long as the metal is dry when you are done. After all, we clean our black powder arms with water, and just make sure they are dry.

And yes, oil afterward, both for rust protection and lubrication.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I use Shellite. It's 100% gasoline (petroleum), but without any of the additives that you get in pump gasoline.

There is no water in it (obviously) and it is great in getting into all nooks and crannies. A quick wash in Shellite followed by a blow out with the air compressor and everything's clean.
    Prickle Farmer

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    And I thought I was on to something! LOL
    I have learned to always leave a film of some kind of lube behind after I clean a gun. I'm really liking Remoil.
    Marlinjunkie and 1Merlin like this.
    Pay no attention to the mess in my shop. My best work comes from chaos!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links