What is with all of this white dirt?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: What is with all of this white dirt?

Super Moderator
    Member #

What is with all of this white dirt?

The wife and I traveled up to New Yorkistan to visit our son and family in Syracuse, NY for the Thanksgiving holiday. Didn't expect to see this much snow so soon--but---I ain't in the Olde Dominion now and these things do happen up north!
    20191202_073759_V2.jpg An unusual sight for a Virginny boy, snow covering up ones license plate
    20191202_073736_V2.jpg Went out twice to help sonny boy shovel during the past 24 hours
    20191129_112558_V2.jpg At least I got to bore sight a new scope for my grandson's 1971 Mod 336 30-30

Haven't seen this much snow since 1993-1994 during may last year of being stationed at Ft Wainwright, AK. I was shocked to see New Yorkians driving around with a foot of snow on top of their cars. I know they know better--especially since they live and work in this stuff more than me!
    JACKTW, cajun56, VinceA and 20 others like this.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Well Jay, at least it's clean dirt. LOL

I believe we were hammered with snow by the storm that is now dumping that white dirt on you. Fortunately, it warmed up a few days later and turned to rain. But it has poured rain for the past 36 hours and won't stop until tomorrow.

At least we're not crispy dry anymore so when the wind blows PGE isn't cutting our power. And to think a week ago we were enjoying mid to upper 60's and sunny weather. Then snap, full on winter!

Your grandson appears to be quite happy with that Marlin.

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Cool!

Just think of Louisiana people! A little ice on road and fools crash for nothing!

ca'jun56
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKTW View Post
    Well Jay, at least it's clean dirt. LOL

I believe we were hammered with snow by the storm that is now dumping that white dirt on you. Fortunately, it warmed up a few days later and turned to rain. But it has poured rain for the past 36 hours and won't stop until tomorrow.

At least we're not crispy dry anymore so when the wind blows PGE isn't cutting our power. And to think a week ago we were enjoying mid to upper 60's and sunny weather. Then snap, full on winter!

Your grandson appears to be quite happy with that Marlin.

Jack
    My son will be taking some leave from his Army duties right after Christmas. The plan for my son and grandson is to hunt with me in VA for 3-4 days in late December. We hope to get the new Bushnell Trophy 2-7X sighted in for my grandson during that time. He hasn't been through a hunters safety course yet--so he will be an observer only. My son had my grandson signed up for a course last year in KY but the Army had other plans. My son was sent to the US Army Recruiter school and got transferred to NY. Hopefully he can get to a safety course next year.
    Last edited by Ret_Eng; 12-02-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun56 View Post
    Cool!

Just think of Louisiana people! A little ice on road and fools crash for nothing!

ca'jun56
    First saw that in TX when I was stationed at Ft. Hood some 20 years ago. Just a few inches of that white stuff shut everything down.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    ^ Yup. Two inches of snow here in DFW and the Metroplex is paralyzed.
    Marlin 336W .30-30 - Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter U'cover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 - M'berg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage RR.22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver - GSG 1911-22 - Hi-Point 995TS
    == USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team = NRA = Tx LTC ==

Super Moderator
    Member #
    He'll like that Trophy scope, my 444P came with a Trophy 1.5-4 and the glass is decent enough for me.

I bet your grandson can hardly wait to hunt with you, Jay. That will be an extra special hunt when he does, especially if he gets his first deer with grandpa!

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKTW View Post
    He'll like that Trophy scope, my 444P came with a Trophy 1.5-4 and the glass is decent enough for me.

I bet your grandson can hardly wait to hunt with you, Jay. That will be an extra special hunt when he does, especially if he gets his first deer with grandpa!

Jack
    I have a Bushnell Trophy DOA ML scope on my CVA 50 cal inline---its an exceptional scope that has allowed me to take three deer with that rifle. Got it factory refurbished which gave me a 70% discount compared to a new one at the time. Got a 50% discount on this 2-7X Trophy scope on Amazon during a sale on Bushnell items--the glass is very clear with no blurriness on the various mag settings. I think my grandson is going to love that scope! My grandson has hunted with me before as an observer---it will be even better when he is a full fledged hunter.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Hope you grandson whacks a good one in OH. Maybe you'll have some snow by then so he feels right at home.
    V

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Welcome to Upstate NY ! We get anywhere between 100-200” most winters.
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links