Thinning The Herd
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Thinning The Herd

Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Super Moderator
    Member #

Thinning The Herd

I'm starting to realize I have a lot of rifles I just don't shoot but maybe once a year. I have some Norma 6.5 Swede Brass that I have had for 10 years, that just crapped out after 9 shots. Yeah, average that out. The only problem is a lot of these rifles are just not easily replaceable, if not replaceable at all. If I sold them I'd never have the chance to own them again. At the same time I have several rifles on my "hit list" but I cannot buy them at this point unless I sell one to buy one.

Has anyone else had to deal with something like this? It's not exactly something to complain about of course. In my mind, at this point in my adult life it's better to have a few rifles I shoot often than boat loads with equity that I don't touch.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Oh Brother, I feel your pain.

I am 'over stocked' too, but I can't bring myself to sell of any of the rifles that I own. Logic tells me I should sell some, but what's logic got to do with it when you are in love.
    cajun56, Travis 186, Vooch and 3 others like this.
    Prickle Farmer

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Yes! They add up fast! Just how many rifles can you shoot at a time?

ca'jun56
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    Yeap.... Contemplating downsizing some myself and like you... Its hard letting go. I feel for ya brother.

Wrangler
    Member #
    seems like I sell 3 and buy 5, thank god my wife understands.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Super Moderator
    Member #
    The good and bad part is I will have dies and other equipment that could go along with the rifles. The bad part? I have 8lbs of a certain powder that works well for most of the milsurps I load. What will I ever do with so much H4350?

And I guess let's just be honest here. The rifle I really want is exceptionally expensive.

Wrangler
    Member #
    you can never have enough H-IMR 4350, i use it in about 80 % of the rifles i reload for. i don,t get rid of any dies i have and its close 100 sets right now.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I have let a few go that I still regret. These days I don't sell anything and if I see something I want then I'll just work more and buy it outright. If the gun you want is exceptionally expensive then you can always consider layaway.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have a similar problem right now with shotguns. I likely will be doing little bird hunting anymore and have far too many shotguns. Went through a 16 gauge phase, and technically still have one. Because of that I have a bench full of 16 gauge components, including some very expensive no-tox tungsten based shot that can be loaded more effectively than steel, and probably lead. I also have a bit of Bismuth shot. More cases and wads than what I could ever shoot. Lots of 12 gauge cases and components. Really should look at thinning the herd. I have a nice little 28 gauge O/U that I want to keep, with a cabinet full of wads and cases. Would keep one 12 gauge. The rest could go. But it is darn hard.

Cannot shoot one deer a year with every rifle I own. Nice to have 2 rifles, one for a main one and one for a back up. Now we are talking about very tough decisions. Almost like when a boat capsizes and you have to pick which child to save.

DEP

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links