Thinning The Herd - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Thinning The Herd

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I've been going through a similar process, except its more that my goals in owning firearms have changed in the past few years. I used to just collect, hunt and go to the range every month or so. I would look for unique types of hunting rifles (Like an 1895III or 336Y), or stuff that was just plain fun to shoot (like a 1894CB 357 or an 1893 32-40).

In the last year, I discovered the PRS/NRL/NRL22, long range competition stuff. It gave me more of a purpose. Its motivated me not only to go shooting much more but to sell off more than half of my Marlins. I recently sold my last 1894, it was kinda sad but being able to attend matches (and actually be competitive) makes it completely worth it. My safe has changed from a just hand full various of hunting & rare rifles, to a smaller variety of tools for more specific purposes.

For me it came down to utility and function, if selling off my safe queens means I can participate in these long range matches, then its totally worth it.
    Team Glenfield - #53 - Glenfield 30 35 rem
    Team 30-30 - #931 - 336Y
    Team 45-70 - #1506 - 1895 LTD III

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gunscrewguy View Post
    To paraphrase,

'Tis better to have owned and sold (mostly at a profit) than to have hoarded and died leaving them to those who don't appreciate them and dispose of them in ways you would not have approved of.

AC
    I can't let go of anything ... sad state of affairs. They seemed to be invisably chained to the safes.

Funny about your post ... My daughter and I had a conversation about my guns just this morning ... I don't know that my wife is really interested in any of them except the 2 or 3 that came down to her from her family so the other 70 plus are up for grabs. So the daughter wanted to make some kind of written document to see that the guns were passed to her and her sister for disposition. Which means they will get them and keep them. They are gun people.

They want them because 95% of them are restores that I did. Very few newer guns - say mfg in the last 5 years - all oldies.
    Last edited by rjtmac; 08-10-2019 at 04:51 PM.
    NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis 186 View Post
    I'm starting to realize I have a lot of rifles I just don't shoot but maybe once a year. I have some Norma 6.5 Swede Brass that I have had for 10 years, that just crapped out after 9 shots. Yeah, average that out. The only problem is a lot of these rifles are just not easily replaceable, if not replaceable at all. If I sold them I'd never have the chance to own them again. At the same time I have several rifles on my "hit list" but I cannot buy them at this point unless I sell one to buy one.

Has anyone else had to deal with something like this? It's not exactly something to complain about of course. In my mind, at this point in my adult life it's better to have a few rifles I shoot often than boat loads with equity that I don't touch.
    For me, no more subtractions. Only additions. I have regretted selling/giving away every firearm I've ever owned. Especially regrettable was the blued, 4" Diamondback in .38 Special.

If I want to add another gun, I find a way to accumulate the funds to get it. No, I don't lie by omission (I learned this term from the Russia hoax) to the wife either.

A few years ago, I bought an old 20 gauge Winchester Model 12 that has a cut barrel that I bought as a re-chambering practice piece (it had a 2-1/2" chamber). I pretty much butchered it during the reaming process - I can't get myself to dump it.

BTW, is it just me or have others noticed the large amount of old, short barrelled (~18") Model 12's out there with "FULL" stamped on the barrel?

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I am in the same quandary and continually keep reaching for the phone to call a FFL I know that will sell my stuff on consignment but just can't seem to hit the send button.
    Matthew 25:40 / WWJD
    Favorite caliber- How is that even possible?
    The more I know the less I understand.
    Recovering Redneck / Recovering Catholic / Recovered racist
    Monotheistic Secular Humanist

Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Super Moderator
    Member #
    I do have a few historically significant rifles, like, THE RIFLE ITSELF is historically significant, and they will be staying. I know whatever I sell I will miss, but I think when I'm sending big boolits down range out of a new highwall or a sharps, it will be worth it.
    mearl and shawlerbrook like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by OLSKOOL View Post
    I have the exact same problem! I just sold a beautiful 22-250 to a member here because I just never shoot it, but yet I am looking for another rifle now that I probably will never shoot either! it is a vicious cycle, quite a conundrum,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I have that issue big time with what we call "varmint" calibers. 223's and a 22-250 will take deer but I feel I have better calibers and don't use them. Not really much of a varmint hunter as we really don't have much but coyotes which I can shoot with a 243 or 6.5 Creedmoor. Due to the wooded nature of the area, you really don't see coyotes that often and when you do you rarely get a shot. Woodchucks tend to hide in brush piles and really don't bother anything. Generally see one very close up. don't shoot that type of rifle much.

Then I have a 32-20 and a 357 lever that rides along on the tractor. Don't shoot them much. but they are nice rifles. 22Mag Henry also gets to go along. A rifle that I don't seem to shoot much is a 22 LR. But if I sell one I miss them. One is a real tack driver.

Sold a lot of muzzle loaders I built to build another. Now I have ones that are pretty plain as the building got tedious, especially the embellishments like patch boxes, inlays and carving.

100_0048.JPGThis "poor boy" Appalachian rifle is an example. About as plain as one can make one. Its resting on a stock blank similar ot what I carved it stock out of.

100_0070.JPG100_0068.JPGWife's rifle. More like what I used to build. Cut the patch box out of heavier brass than the commercial ones which were a bit flimsy.

Still don't get excited about pretty rifles now, and am happy with my Savage Axis and Ruger American. Got too involved with making them pretty to care anymore.

DEP
    Last edited by northmn; 08-11-2019 at 07:42 AM.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I've only got a friend's son to give "gun stuff" to but I think he'd be overwhelmed with everything I have. I asked at the last local gun club meeting if they had a procedure or any formalized way to to receive my "gun stuff" after I croak. I know the NRA does but don't want to give anything to them, would rather help my local club out. They said that they would go over the idea in the Executive Board meeting and come back with some answers. Amazingly enough no one (to anyone's knowledge) had ever asked this question before of the club. This club has been around since the '50s.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I'm starting to realize I have a lot of rifles I just don't shoot but maybe once a year. I have some Norma 6.5 Swede Brass that I have had for 10 years, that just crapped out after 9 shots. Yeah, average that out. The only problem is a lot of these rifles are just not easily replaceable, if not replaceable at all. If I sold them I'd never have the chance to own them again. At the same time I have several rifles on my "hit list" but I cannot buy them at this point unless I sell one to buy one.

Has anyone else had to deal with something like this? It's not exactly something to complain about of course. In my mind, at this point in my adult life it's better to have a few rifles I shoot often than boat loads with equity that I don't touch.
    IMHO--Make a plan to go to range and shoot a different one each time. Since they enacted Moronic Liberal 2nd A infringement here it is very hard to purchase now. I don't dare sell any because the process is so Anti- 2nd A that until something major changes I cannot replace something I sell. All the new stuff is junk poor QA now.
    Travis 186 and shawlerbrook like this.

Deadeye
    Member #

I'm going through the same thing for the last two years selling one at a time. It is now getting harder to choose the next one to go on the block. That said, I need to do it and an glad I am. So far I honestly don't miss the ones that I liked but sold.
    shawlerbrook and jgriffin1988 like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by fal308 View Post
    I've only got a friend's son to give "gun stuff" to but I think he'd be overwhelmed with everything I have. I asked at the last local gun club meeting if they had a procedure or any formalized way to to receive my "gun stuff" after I croak. I know the NRA does but don't want to give anything to them, would rather help my local club out. They said that they would go over the idea in the Executive Board meeting and come back with some answers. Amazingly enough no one (to anyone's knowledge) had ever asked this question before of the club. This club has been around since the '50s.
    I have a buddy that gets four rifle/scope combos of his choice and all my handguns. The rest are going to my local gun club to do with as they see fit.
    shawlerbrook and jgriffin1988 like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links