Thinning The Herd - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Thinning The Herd

Contributing Member
    Member #
    To paraphrase,

'Tis better to have owned and sold (mostly at a profit) than to have hoarded and died leaving them to those who don't appreciate them and dispose of them in ways you would not have approved of.

AC
    Last edited by gunscrewguy; 08-10-2019 at 09:35 AM.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Before you let those rifles go (lever guns, bolt, milsurp) these may be disirable if they ban AR-15's.
    jgriffin1988 and gunscrewguy like this.
    Remember, only your enemy wants you disarmed.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Sure, you may only shoot one at a time, but I find that my shooting interest cycles & will come back to a gun that I have not shot in years & enjoy it again! A buddy of mine in Colo. died two weeks ago & had over 450. Many rare & a number of class 3. Said that he had not sold one in the last 40 some years, because he learned to regret it if he did.
    I feel the same way. They give me a lot of pleasure & I am glad to be their caretaker for a few more years. There are a couple that I regret selling early on also.
    It is like women. There are many that I have had fun dancing with (some more than others), but I would not tell any of them that "I would not ever like to dance with you again"!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Its reading your posts above, that in a way, I appreciate our UK tight laws which limit us, otherwise I'd have loads of rifles and not have the opportunity to use them all enough. My sympathies to your problem only you know how you might feel with less.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I am working on downsizing in anticipation of moving to SC in a few years. Many of you put me to shame with the amount of rifles you own.
    I collected 5 WW2 battle rifles from the major powers, over the years. They sit 99% of the time in a display case and get dusted and re oiled once a year. I think I will soon part with them, but having shot them, I know what they were like and will not forget.
    As for my other rifles, I have one daughter who wants two of them and a good friend who would love a couple more.
    My plan is to keep my 336s' in .35 and 30-30, my M1 Garand, a 700BDL in 30-06, my evil black rifle, and two shotguns.
    Its sort of a fun dilemma.
    Andrew
    levergunx1, maki00 and gunscrewguy like this.
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis 186 View Post
    The good and bad part is I will have dies and other equipment that could go along with the rifles. The bad part? I have 8lbs of a certain powder that works well for most of the milsurps I load. What will I ever do with so much H4350?

And I guess let's just be honest here. The rifle I really want is exceptionally expensive.
    Best 6.5 CM powder.I musta used 8 lbs of it in the last year myself.
    jgriffin1988 and gunscrewguy like this.
    "Welcome to my home, the locked door you just kicked in was for your protection, not mine!"

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    I have the exact same problem! I just sold a beautiful 22-250 to a member here because I just never shoot it, but yet I am looking for another rifle now that I probably will never shoot either! it is a vicious cycle, quite a conundrum,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Deadeye
    Member #
    I'm facing the same dilemma too. I have two rifles I've owned for 10+ yrs that I've never shot. Neither are NIB, but somehow I like the 'idea' of owning them, even if I don't use them. I'm inching closer to selling them though. "Things you own end up owning you." - Fight Club

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I have more than I can shoot, but this does not seem like a good time to sell given the uncertainties.
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    You know yourself best. What's important to you? Having something you will enjoy using everyday/ now. or having a collector piece that you rarely use that sits in the safe? Are you attached to the rifle? Will you have seller's remorse?
    Or may be try a payment plan/ lay away option for the new rifle. ?

I have collected so many different types of firearms over the years (from hunting rifles & shotguns to surplus rifles). There was a time I just kept adding to the collection. I have enjoyed owning them. But as I have aged I realize I can do without some of them (after all they're no good to me when I gone.) So I have been slowly reducing my collection (thinning the herd). As long as I'm happy with the sale price, I'm glad to see someone else enjoy them.
    (some will be given to my kids.)
    Last edited by maki00; 08-14-2019 at 09:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links