Gps ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Gps ?

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Gps ?

Hi guys. My wife is heading down to Charlotte NC at he end of the month and was planning to rent a car to get to Wilkesboro. I was saying we should get a GPS but have no idea what to buy. Is there a GPS that is good for me for hunting in the woods as well as navigating on the roads. I would rather get a good stand alone GPS than just a phone app.
    turbobug, Blaine, cajun56 and 1 others like this.

Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Super Moderator
    Member #
    I like my Garmin 64st for the National Forest, but for navigation in a car, nothing is better than a modern smart phone equipped with waze or google maps. Trust me on this one.
    Blaine, cajun56, 4T57T and 3 others like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Ditto on what Travis said!

My last two locations I had to go to, GPS Garmin and just updated, couldn't find them! Smart-phone and Goggle maps, brought me straight there!

ca'jun56
    Krusty likes this.
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Garmin eTrex 30x, Handheld GPS Navigator with 3-axis Compass, Enhanced Memory and Resolution, 2.2-inch Color Display, Water Resistant https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XQE6Z92..._aHItDbQK47500
    capt greg likes this.

Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Super Moderator
    Member #
    You also have to ask yourself. Is your wife going to be the type of person to stay on top of the updates for a GPS? It's not going to be like a smart phone where it will do it automatically. I know, location trackers blah blah blah, but you have to remember.... you are one in a billion and aren't likely on their radar. You can toss that phone in a ditch in a pinch and keep on truckin with a topo map.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Garmin is the only way to imho. Updates not a big deal... just plug it in go to garmins website an updates will load automatically. Many places in the mtns here nc you will NOT have any cell service. Garmin uses satellites.
    I been using that garmin nuvi series in both personal truck an work truck ever since they came out. Also have the garmin montana for the woods. An used a garmin plotter on the water.

Have never been disappointed in any garmin product.
    Travis 186, BillyHill and Padraig like this.
    However complicated the issues become... it comes down to one simple question. Which is more important to you Life or Liberty? I've made my decision long ago.

"Is life so sweet or peace so dear; as to be paid for at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me Liberty or give me Death." Patrick Henry

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis 186 View Post
    I like my Garmin 64st for the National Forest, but for navigation in a car, nothing is better than a modern smart phone equipped with waze or google maps. Trust me on this one.
    Agree you can't beat the "cost" of Waze, Google maps, etc., but have noticed that when traveling more than 25-30 MPH there is enough delay in the tower signal that you are likely to miss turns, etc., or be right on top of them when "told." I've also noticed this in cities where large buildings might interfere with/weaken the signal. Anything I have that depends on a satellite signal does not have the delay.
    Tomray and BillyHill like this.
    Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do,
    Sometimes won't know how to take him.
    He ain't wrong, he's just different but his pride won't let him,
    Do things to make you think he's right.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I used to have a Tom-Tom which I liked a lot better than the google maps app. Bigger screen, better volume and tone for the verbal directions, just better altogether. With that said, between not doing the updates, and having to carry something else on planes etc. I've only been using my phone for the last few years. Not quite as good as I remember my Tom-Tom, but good enough. No idea how well or not the app will do in the boondocks. Some rental cars you can get with built-in navigation systems already. Usually with a big screen. Whether those are satellite or apps I don't know.

Luisyamaha
    Speak softly, but ride like hell!"

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I second the Garmin Auto GPS. I also use Waze and find the Garmin much easier to read and use. I LSO have built in GPS in my GMC Yukon, it is crap!

Padraig

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have a Tom-Tom for the car which I like. I've used it out of State and it works very good. the GPS for your vehicle will provide a bigger screen for driving (vs. the small screen on a handheld GPS). it's easier to see at a glance while driving & hear directions compared to a handheld GPS.

Depending on where I hunt, my friends and I have lost signal on our cellphones while deep in the woods/valley.
    I intend to get a Garmin handheld GPS for hiking & hunting. Although I have managed to hike & hunt for many years without a handheld GPS. but just like my first aid kit, better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it (imo). (I hike & hunt on various public land.)
    jgriffin1988, Padraig and Judson like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links