Gps ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Gps ?

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    In the car I like Google. I don't have to pay for updates, it keeps me apprised of traffic conditions, and, since I have a phone anyways, I didn't have to buy anything extra. In the woods, I'm Luddite. I use map and compass and keep aware of topography. GPS can be a little finicky when there are leave on the trees and large forest tracks can be out of good cellphone reception. Of course, that wan't your question, just an explanation of why I don't know anything about GPS devices.
    Tomray likes this.
    Experience is the key to making good decisions.
    The best experience comes from making bad decisions.

Hubris is seldom rewarded.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    BillyH. Avoid the headache of maybe buying a GPS that you don't like. Add the GPS option to your rental car and give it a try before you buy. I know AVIS offers them, others surely also do!
    drinva likes this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I downloaded “Waze” on my IPhone.Works great And updates itself.It even reports accidents.Only Downside is that it kills the phone battery.I just plug a charger in the lighter.
    Tomray likes this.
    "Welcome to my home, the locked door you just kicked in was for your protection, not mine!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by maki00 View Post
    . . . Depending on where I hunt, my friends and I have lost signal on our cellphones while deep in the woods/valley.
    I intend to get a Garmin handheld GPS for hiking & hunting. Although I have managed to hike & hunt for many years without a handheld GPS. but just like my first aid kit, better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it (imo). (I hike & hunt on various public land.)
    I have a hand-held GPS when I'm non-bird hunting (like deer, turkey, etc.). Most of the time when out in large tracts of back country, though, I'm bird hunting. I have a GPS collar for my bird dog, on which I can easily "toggle" back and forth between tracking the dog and answering the question: "Now which direction is the truck and how far away is it?"
    jgriffin1988 and maki00 like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thanks for all the input guys. We decided to get the Garmin GPS. The price was right on sale and they are very easy to use. I really like the split screen view showing exits and information signs.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobarzo View Post
    I downloaded “Waze” on my IPhone. Works great And updates itself. It even reports accidents.Only Downside is that it kills the phone battery.I just plug a charger in the lighter.
    "WAZE" is the way to go, now...............I have two travel GPS's...........One in the Jeep and another in the Corvette.............I've been using WAZE on my phone for the last 2 years..........

I think it's more accurate and easier to use............Yeah, having a phone charger in the vehicle is a must!

Tom
    jgriffin1988 likes this.
    NRA LIFE
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    CCDL

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Garmin are GREAT!!!! By far a cut above the rest for ms, and I have used one to make a living.

I'm with Burk, get that as the option on the rental. We did that one time at Hertz and it was OUTSTANDING, I have yet to use one that was as simple and easy to use as the Hertz one. Turn by turn pre notifications on it were wonderful.

DR
    jgriffin1988 likes this.
    Team 60 #324
    Team .22 Magnum #114
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #102
    Team Wheelguns #54
    Team 700 #5
    Team Semi-Auto #41
    Team Henry #106

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Garmin to get me where I am going and Waze to alert me to accidents and speed traps.

Padraig
    jgriffin1988 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links