Too Much Gun? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Too Much Gun?

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    northmn, I understand where your coming from. I've hunted deer with everything from a .243 to a 45/70. First deer was with a 7 mm mag.
    I always try for the heart/lung shot behind the shoulder and always left a nice blood trail and didn't tear up meat if I hit it right. Not a shoulder shooter per-say. But the last 5-6 years I have been using my muzzle loader, pistol, pistol cartridge rifles accept for my 35 Remington. That being said I have grown lazy and no longer want to track my pray. No matter the caliber or weapon the shoulder spine shot drop them in their tracks. Broad side or facing me when that head goes down I'm putting the hammer on them. I get enough venison that, that little bit don't scratch the surface when I'm grinding the meat in that area for sausage or hamburger. At 125 yards in the 44 magnum, 41 magnum and muzzle loader rock'm with authority.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Where I have lived for 40+ years conditions of terrain and vegetation make a shot over 100 yards extremely rare. Sure, I have hunted over a few powerline rights-of-way and a few fields where you maybe, might, possibly get a 400 yard shot. But in all that time, even under ideal circumstances, the longest realistic shot I have ever been offered was no more than 300 (and he walked in to the woods before I could pull the trigger), and the longest shot I have ever taken was right at 240. That one was done with a 1896 Swedish Mauser 6.5 that I had cut down to an 18" carbine. The next-longest shot I've taken was 225 yards, and the rifle was a .30-30 Marlin 336. This in over 200 deer killed.

I own a .270, and on rare occasion -- maybe once every two years, when I know I'll be in an open area -- I will carry it. But honestly, I know for a fact that any deer I see to shoot at will, 99% of the time, be closer than 100 yards. But who knows? Maybe one day I'll be invited to hunt out West where the .270 won't be too much gun.
    Da Duke, M700, rx7dryver and 1 others like this.
    Pisgah
    ------------------
    "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

"Opinionated Texan" Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat 74 View Post
    I hear you. Can you tell me how would anything larger would have worked better? Where would the improvements have been?

I made a similar shot on a doe, smaller than his buck by a good margin with a 300gr bonded .458 bullet. It expanded larger, penetration was near equal, tracking distance was the same. More recoil didn't improve the outcome, a heavier bullet and more powder burned didn't change anything. My recovered bullet is 270grs, his was in the 40's if I remember right and they both dug to pretty much the same spot. My deer was no deader than his.

I'm not saying everyone should be deer hunting with a .223, far from it. For a guy that knows how to shoot, and picks his bullet I do think they are effective but if a guys doesn't want to shoot a .223 they're not the cartridge for him. But, I think that works for most cartridges. I wouldn't deer hunt with a 300WM and a 110 Vmax just like I wouldn't hunt with a 223 and a 40gr Vmax.

What if he wouldn't have made a good shot? Well, he's tried that with larger cartridges and shot animals full of holes because all that powder and bullet mass didn't overcome poor placement.

Again, purely my opinion, but hitting them where your supposed to with a good bullet matters a lot more than what you're hitting them with in regards to medium sized game.

Shoot what your comfortable with, confident in and proficient with.

i can't on that one. lets just say i'm perpetuating the conversation and i love
    a 257 roberts.
    hell, i hunted hogs with a bolt 223 for years.
    i had a neck fusion back in 2010 and i was afraid to shoot aything bigger.
    when i found my first 'bob that was it...i was hooked.
    i loved the extra power and reach it gave me, combined with the
    lady-like recoil.
    Navajo
    Lever-Action Addict
    Savage 99 fan
    MXLR fan
    Full-Blood Texan

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have a Ruger Ultralite in 257 Roberts. I’ve not bloodied it yet but I sure like the rifle and the round. I’m shooting 115gr Ballistic Tips and 120gr Partitions from mine.

It’s in the starting lineup for rifle season so hopefully I’ll find one that needs to get ventilated.

I’m a gun hippie, I love them all.

Except 270’s, can’t like them and I can’t tell you why.
    M700, navajo and glaciers like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    I see it as more of a "too much load" vs. "too much gun" My philosophy has always been heavier and slower ruins less meat than heavier/faster, lighter/faster. It seems to me that if I produce a load where the gozinta is caliber and the gozouta is ~4X caliber...that's the limit....example...with my 45-70, I want no more than a 2" exit hole. My 30-06 I want no more than a 1.5" exit hole. The larger the hole....the more meat you've removed/damage. The deer is just as dead...true....but what is your goal? Mine is to keep as much freezer meat as possible.

Yes...I at one time had my loads cranked up where I had 4-5" exit holes from my 30-06....but it left me with about 10-15 lbs of unusable bloodshot meat....so what was the point?

This is all to say...I never shoot more than 150 yards...its a personal limit I set on myself. Sometimes a lighter/faster bullet is required....especially when reaching out 200+ yards. But again this is a variable where I won't put myself in that situation. So...for me...heavier/slower is the way to go.

redhawk
    Excellent point, at least to my way of thinking. Since I reload I can tailor the load, including the amount of recoil I want to endure. Having the hunting mindset of, get in close and get one right shot into the vitals, is the way I like to do things. YMMV.
    M700 and Gareth Holland like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    My Ruger 77 270 130 gr Nosler BT. lung shots kill like a lighting bolt. ive nailed em from 30 yds to 300 yds ( power lines ) no problem with meat loss. but the heart lung liver turn to mud.
    M700 and Gareth Holland like this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Most of my whitetail hunting has been with a 270 in a Remington 721. I don't think any shots were over 100 yards. I also have used a .308 single shot pistol. Next I will use my 1895 SBL in 45/70... Why? Because firing it always put a big grin on my face.

Padraig
    M700, Gareth Holland and pacificpt like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Anytime a question like this posted it gets the attention and ruffles the feathers of a lot of folks. Shoot what you like as long as it’s enough gun for the animal, hunters owe it to the animals they harvest to do the job quickly. Hard cast or thick walled jackets can cut down on bullets expansion / ruined meat. Lighter loads can also accomplish the same. Hand loading can help create the best bullet for the job. Sometimes having a large thinned walled bullet designed for rapid expansion and high velocity is wanted. Try deer hunting in Michigan on opening day, hunters every 100 yards, most land is in small parcels and anchoring a deer where it stands and ruining a whole front shoulder is the trade off. RANT ALERT, at least in Michigan deer hunting brings out the worst in many people. Stealing tree stands, trail cameras, ground blinds contaminating bait piles, and purposely feuding with neighboring property owners are all part of the scene here. If you hit a deer and it runs off onto neighboring property it is lost because the owner won’t let you track it. Or, it’s shot by another hunter who will tag it. To each his own as the situation dictates.
    M700, JMAG54 and Gareth Holland like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Trying to think of all the guns I've used to kill deer:

50 cal traditional muzzle loader, 385 grain Hornady Great Plains soft hollow point
    45/70 Marlin 1895, 405 gr Rem FNSP bullet
    30-06 Rem 700, 165 gr
    308 Win, Rem 700, 165 gr
    25-06 Rem 700, 100 & 115 gr bullets
    223 AR-15

I think that's all of 'em. Maybe?

And handguns in 44 mag & 45 ACP.

All died quickly. Shoot 'em right.

Used other guns, on other game like bear, boar, & elk.

Guy

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Too much gun is not necessarily a cartridge. I laoded my daughters 300 Savage down with 30-30 bullets to a hot 30-30 load to keep recoil down. Jack O'Connor talked of doing that with the 30-06 in one of his books I have. I could have kept the 270 and loaded it to velocities in line with the 6.5 Swede for instance. Many that use a 45-70 don't load so hot. I used mine with black powder and the Gould bullet to take a deer and it was not so bad. I wish I could say in the 50+ years of deer hunting that every shot with the 270 was right where I wanted it. Took a longer shot at a smaller buck. Had to rest against a tree and smacked it right square in the shoulder. Had to throw away one shoulder or nearly all of it. Almost all my shots have been where I wanted them, in the lungs but a couple of times the deer moved about the time the brain said pull. I still have not seen much difference in cartridges. The old argument about using something bigger so the deer don't go far, like over a neighbors fence don't work. In those situations the best is a cartridge like the old 35R and shoulder shots. They run when hit in the lungs at times. To reliably anchor them you need to interrupt the CNS or the frame work. The 140 grain 6.5 does it well also.

DEP

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links