Shotgun sights
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Shotgun sights

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Shotgun sights

I have a short barrel 12 gauge that I bought with the intention of using it for bear defense. I tried it out simulating a real life situation and I don't like the single front bead. With 00 Buckshot I think the pattern hit above my intended target at about 20 yards. It seems that with a short barrel and a single front bead its harder to get the pattern where I want it. It just doesn't feel natural. Is there a better sight set up for a shotgun like this that you can mount easily. I would prefer something that doesn't require battery power but I guess a red dot style sight might be OK too as I likely won't use it much in extremely cold weather.
    Last edited by BillyHill; 06-13-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    shawlerbrook and Lever Jac like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I have used a 1x4 Bushnell that I really like. It has held together well and on 1 power is very fast.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    There are several different sight systems out there depending on what type of barrel you have! Pick up a couple different types of ammo too, because POI may change with the ammo!
    shawlerbrook and alawrence like this.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    For that situation I prefer a ghost ring peep setup.
    white cloud and ironhead7544 like this.
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Billy, try the hi-viz, they are on my PMR 22 mag if you can't see them you need a white cane...
    BillyHill likes this.
    What this country needs is a department of common sense!
    Team 22 Magnum # 46
    Team Old Pharts # 235
    Team 22 bolt action # 5

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have a 18" barrel on a home defense shotgun. It's for close quarter confrontation- point and shoot. I slipped on a Tru-glow fiber optic front sight (available in red or green.)

Don't know if you have a ribbed barrel or rear sights. There are several different options but it depends on your setup.

I would not use a scope on a bear/home defense shotgun.
    BillyHill likes this.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I have years of experience with slug guns. The Holy Grail is one that shoots over the bead. I used them for deer hunting. I bought a 870 in 1966 and have a K3x on it. Still looks new because I never used it much, didn't like scope to get on target quick. My main slugger is a cut down Browning A5 with a old Redding "ghost ring" sight that mounts on back of A5s hump. I've never had one of the new ghost rings but have put reciever sights on many of my custom creations. For me their is nothing faster or accurate as a ring type sight. Most shot guns will sight in with slugs but every now and then you will get one that won't group. Most of these are from slop in barrel reciever fit and barrel shank can be shimmed or a spacer washer put under barrel nut. A washer punched out of a leather belt can work wonders.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I understand you dont like them, they dont work for you, but I have found a brass bead works surprisingly well. No worse than blades, even dot sights. Maybe just me.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Williams slugger ghost ring if it has a vent rib you could clamp it to is a nice setup.
    shawlerbrook likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have a 12 bird gun with a bead that shoots very well for me and other I have had shot well too. I also have an 18.5 " Wincheaster SXP that does work very well for me with just a brass bead.
    Quote Originally Posted by tranteruk View Post
    I understand you dont like them, they dont work for you, but I have found a brass bead works surprisingly well. No worse than blades, even dot sights. Maybe just me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links