Shotgun sights - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Shotgun sights

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Probably due to a couple of decades of cop work with an 870 riding beside me... I do like the simplicity of a simple bead sight at the end of the barrel for modest range shooting. It's just fine for me.

That said, there are a LOT of alternatives today. Ghost rings, and consider something like a Holosight. Used one of those on a SWAT AR-15 type rifle for many years. It was fast and accurate. So easy to use...

Guy
    shawlerbrook likes this.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    The front isn't a problem. Unscrew front bead. If it's a 6x48 you can use as is for front screw in ramp. If not D&T 6x48 using it for pilot hole. Screw ramp down and mark rear hole, D&T and make sure yor screws are flush with bore inside barrel. Some put back sights on with JB Weld or epoxies. These work but I silver solder mine, not easy unless you have soldering experience and the right solder & flux. It's easier to D&T for reciever or ghost ring type sight. Using same #31 drill bit & 6x48 tap used on front.
    Gareth Holland likes this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    The gun I want to tweak is already tapped. I was thinking ghost ring and a front ramp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    The front isn't a problem. Unscrew front bead. If it's a 6x48 you can use as is for front screw in ramp. If not D&T 6x48 using it for pilot hole. Screw ramp down and mark rear hole, D&T and make sure yor screws are flush with bore inside barrel. Some put back sights on with JB Weld or epoxies. These work but I silver solder mine, not easy unless you have soldering experience and the right solder & flux. It's easier to D&T for reciever or ghost ring type sight. Using same #31 drill bit & 6x48 tap used on front.
    M700, white cloud and shawlerbrook like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I am sure you know your eye is the rear sight and a consistent mount is required for consistent hits.
    Add a middle bead half way down the vent rib if you have one.
    Practice will show the proper place to hold the front bead relative to the middle bead.
    It could be a true figure eight or just a single bead.
    I like my target above the barrel and bead so I see all of it while swinging on it then watching it fall.
    M700 likes this.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I don't know what " shoots well " means. Bead will be fine at 25yds for SD purposes with slugs. Buck shot or smaller a sight is a waste at SD ranges. A decent smooth bore should be capable of shooting into 3" at 100yds with Foster slugs. It would take a good gun and extremely good shot to shoot 3" groups with a bead sight. The slug shoots I go to one event is 100', bullseye 11/2". If your shot is not inside the bull you ain't a contender. The judges have to use dividers and there is still a lot of arguements and shoot offs. The same target is used at longer distances but the results don't get as jammed up the greater the range. They also have 50:50 targets, 6" balloons at 100yds & 125yds. You pay for your shot and money goes in a box. if you bust it you get half what's been collected. You aren't allowed optics or support or strap. You also shoot a Foster slug supplied by club. It's not as easy as it sounds.
    Gareth Holland likes this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Well, it's Forster slugs... Not Foster.

And self defense against an attacking bear isn't at 100 yards. It's close, really close.

I think we all know what "shoots well" means. Hits on target as necessary.

Guy
    Bearcat 74 likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    My 870 served as my patrol shotgun for 20 years. I installed the Scattergun Technologies Ghostring sights (now owned by Wilson) to give me accurate slug capability out to 50-100 yards. IMO for your purpose the Ghostring is unnecessary and slower to use than a bead or fiber optic front sight. I also would recommend a Brenneke slug over the Forster slug or buckshot.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I have two "fighting" shotguns. Both have ghost ring rears with high visibility fronts. This arrangement works well even with slugs out to 100 yards. I think that a nice red dot sight would even be better. I know you prefer "no batteries" but I have red dots on a variety of rifles and find them effective. I always have a spare battery and change batteries frequently.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Dont know what shotgun you have, but it might be possible buy a replacement barrel with rifle sights on it.

Personally, I prefer the Mossberg Ghost ring sights. Works well with slugs and buckshot.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Winchester SXP Defender. Lightweight, handy ,and a very slick action, It kicks pretty good with buckshot loads and thumps even harder with slugs. I might add a better recoil pad too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhead7544 View Post
    Dont know what shotgun you have, but it might be possible buy a replacement barrel with rifle sights on it.

Personally, I prefer the Mossberg Ghost ring sights. Works well with slugs and buckshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BillyHill; 06-13-2019 at 10:42 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links