Old Guy working on an Older Gun ... Winchester Model 1897 mfg 1903 - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Old Guy working on an Older Gun ... Winchester Model 1897 mfg 1903

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    That classic leather buttplate looks fantastic! Well Done!
    Marlinjunkie likes this.
    USN RET Team 35 member #33

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I love it! The original buttplate couldn't have looked better. As always, thanks for sharing. Great work!
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtmac View Post
    Got through with the bluing ... done in 2 sessions ... here are pictures of the first session - the larger items ... pictures of the smaller items will be taken tomorrow ...

Hopefully the project will be completed in 2 more days ...

There has been a problem come up ... found that the butt stock has been shortened. The replacement butt stock plates that are available will not fit the end of the stock as it is now sized after the amputation of the stock. So the original leather butt pad is going back on the gun.

It has been speculated that the butt stock was cut off at the same time the barrel was shortened to 18" ... So this 97 was bobbed on both ends.
    What an incredible job/improvement! What type of bluing are you using, please Sir?
    Marlinjunkie likes this.
    I like it. I love it. Can't get enough of it.

Lever Action Silhouette Rifle - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Merlin View Post
    What an incredible job/improvement! What type of bluing are you using, please Sir?
    Using Birchwood Casey Cold Blue ...
    1Merlin and Marlinjunkie like this.
    Marlin • Benjiman • Beretta • Bushmaster • Harrington & Richardson • Henry • Kimber • Mossberg • Remington • Ruger • Savage • Sig Sauer • Smith & Wesson • Stevens • Taurus • Winchester ... Banner • Bushnell • Cabelas • Center Point • Crimson Trace • Leupold • Nikon • Sig Sauer • Simmons • Tasco

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 VT
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Wrangler
    Member #
    You are indeed an artist sir. I have four 1897 Winchesters and have done some work on three of the four. You had mentioned that you were missing an action slide screw. These are available as hardened upgrade screws. If you fire the shotgun much I would suggest that you look into purchasing the hardened version. I have had to replace two of these. One broke while I was shooting targets, the other I purchased with the broken screw. If these screws break it is an exceedingly difficult task in removing the remnant pieces. When these screws break it is impossible to remove the bolt. Many smiths have drilled the receiver to punch out the remaining broken tail of the screw.
    1Merlin and Marlinjunkie like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtmac View Post
    Using Birchwood Casey Cold Blue ...
    I am going through your previous threads but.... Do any particularly come to mind that have a focus on your bluing process? Thanks!
    Marlinjunkie likes this.

Lever Action Silhouette Rifle - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Merlin View Post
    I am going through your previous threads but.... Do any particularly come to mind that have a focus on your bluing process? Thanks!
    They only things that are in the threads about the bluing process are pretty simple ... Application of the bluing according to the instructions as much as your particular metal will allow.

The other and MAIN segment of the process as always is the PREP. If you don't want a dent or scratch to show it has to be removed. Same for pits and rust damage - if you don't want it to show it must be gone - not just sanded over and made as smooth as you can make it - gotta be gone. To have a smooth and consistent bluing applications it has to be applied to a smooth and consistant finished prepped surface.

I have said before the minimum metal prep time for me is around 10-11 hours and many more times than not this is no where near enough. My bluing is all in the prep because that is what I can control. Birchwood Casey makes their product and I have to trust it will do it's job ... but I am sure in their mind the success of their product depends on my prep for it's use. No way around this fact, metal prep is everything.

I have logged right at 16.5 hours on prepping the 97. Luckily the barrel was cut off 12" or it would have been more ... LOL

1) Comfortable height work surface
    2) Comfortable chair
    3) Good music
    4) Sandpaper 220 - 320 - 400 - 800 - 1000 - 1500 • don't always use all the grits but they are available and all have their place with certain sanding needs
    5) Large container of Elbow Grease - either for the right or left depending on you particular physical need
    6) Time, time, time and more time - just be ready mentally for the long haul

Might want to keep a pad and pencil handy - to write down all of the special word combinations you can create trying to get all of your damage taken care of. With frustration and lack of success some original and new combinations just seem to flow out into audible expressions.

Marlin • Benjiman • Beretta • Bushmaster • Harrington & Richardson • Henry • Kimber • Mossberg • Remington • Ruger • Savage • Sig Sauer • Smith & Wesson • Stevens • Taurus • Winchester ... Banner • Bushnell • Cabelas • Center Point • Crimson Trace • Leupold • Nikon • Sig Sauer • Simmons • Tasco

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Wrangler
    Member #
    Patience and hard work. As in so many things in life. I've listened and heard. I will try a project and post my progress.

Thank You.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    I just copied and saved your statements on blueing prep. Thanks, Mac.
    Zuikowarrior, NRA Life Member

Team 35 Member 48, Team .30-30 Member 112, Team 39 Member 92, Team 60 Member 18, Team .45/70 Member 912, Team MR-7 Member 9, Team 1894 Member 414, Team Glenfield Member 81, Team Savage 99 Member 26, Team Browning Member 115.

"Blessed are those who, in the face of death, focus on the front sight." Colonel Jeff Cooper.

"A free people ought to be armed." George Washington.

Marlin 30AW, 336CSs, Texan, Glenfield Texan, 1895G, 1894C, 39TDS, 39A, Model 60, MR7.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Got the 97 back together ... hopefully the owner will like the outcome.

pics cont. next post ...

marlinluvr and OLSKOOL like this.

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links