Owner purchased the gun with personalized graphics on the stock_ wants it removed
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Owner purchased the gun with personalized graphics on the stock_ wants it removed

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Owner purchased the gun with personalized graphics on the stock_ wants it removed

Owner brought me a stock from a Winchester rifle ... can't believe I can't tell you which one but I forgot to ask.

He said when he purchased the gun it came with some custom personalized graphics on one side of the butt stock. He said it wasn't really his style and would like to have it removed. After removal of the "artwork" the stock set is to be repaired, prepped and refinished.

I most times really hate messing with custom art work but in this case I am making an exception.

What would you want to do ?

This also begs the questions ... WHY ?? Why ?? do you deface a gun like this .... geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !!

See below :

As you can tell the carving and damage is pretty deep ... have a plan of action ...

More pics:

After about 1 1/2 hours the stock is to the point shown below. Tools - sandpaper, metal scrapper tool, file, medium course rasp, a fine tooth rasp, metal ruler, pencil and a very large can of right hand elbow grease. Takes a little longer fixing a one sided mistake. Taking the same amount of wood on the opposite side of the stock as material is removed on the "graphic" side.

Taking off wood to remove the "LOGO". As the wood is taken down on the logo and all sides of the logo wood is also taken to hold the contour of the stock.

So here is the result of the initial repairs and sanding ...

Will get the rest of the butt stock area around the logo finished ... having to measure and rasp and repeat. Trying to keep original stock specs as close as possible. So as wood was removed from the logo, wood was being removed along the length of the stock to maintain the contour. Same was being repeated to the off side to keep the stock symetrical. We have made it this far ... Onward and Upward.
    Last edited by rjtmac; 05-03-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    Marlin • Benjiman • Beretta • Bushmaster • Harrington & Richardson • Henry • Kimber • Mossberg • Remington • Ruger • Savage • Sig Sauer • Smith & Wesson • Stevens • Taurus • Winchester ... Banner • Bushnell • Cabelas • Center Point • Crimson Trace • Leupold • Nikon • Sig Sauer • Simmons • Tasco

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 VT
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Having seen your work posted here, this one should be like removing a wart from a pretty girls cheek! Looking forward to seeing the end result.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that makes a difference.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I got one for you! I scratched my head also! What makes people do this! This is on a Marlin.

20190411_050611.jpg.

I would love to have it removed also.

ca'jun56
    Golphin likes this.
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Is that supposed to look like a lawmans badge in an old western?
    shawlerbrook likes this.
    Team 45-70: #1110
    Team 30-30: #1080
    Team 1894: #521

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtmac View Post
    WHY ?? Why ?? do you deface a gun like this .... geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !!
    Go read the lyrics to DAC's "Drank My Wife Away"...
    Marlins: 1951 336RC .30-30 - 1951 39A "Peanut" - 1988 Model 60 (22" blued) - 1972 Glenfield Model 75 .22LR
    Bangin' Blackhawks Member #30 Team .22 Mag Member #69 Team 30-30 Member #1328 Team Rossi #77

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Mac, I have the answer ? Bubba strikes again, as I have posted before some people should not be allowed nice things as clearly they have no appreciation of them. What worries me is the person who vandalised this stock has access to a firearm ??. I look forward to another outstanding piece of restoration. GH

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Bubba with an artistic flair. Oh boy . . . Well, RJTMAC, you are remedy - be sure to share the finished pics.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I have also pondered this question and all I can come up with is alcohol was involved, it cannot be stupidity alone...................
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    *Note ...

The star or what is supposed to be a star was a pain and chore to get out. Reason being - it had been burned in with a wood burner or some kind of hot iron. It burned the wood as deep as the deepest cuts ...

I think the same thing was done to the initials ... it looked as though the point of a wood burner had been pushed down into the scratched out initials ...

Tried acetone and some Oxalic Acid ... neither one did a great deal to help ... of course I didn't leave them on very long for them to do their thing ... a prolonged period may have made a difference. My patience level when measured doesn't move the needle on the Patience Meter very high.
    Marlin • Benjiman • Beretta • Bushmaster • Harrington & Richardson • Henry • Kimber • Mossberg • Remington • Ruger • Savage • Sig Sauer • Smith & Wesson • Stevens • Taurus • Winchester ... Banner • Bushnell • Cabelas • Center Point • Crimson Trace • Leupold • Nikon • Sig Sauer • Simmons • Tasco

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 VT
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Wrangler
    Member #
    It looks like the Star of David to me. But why would you do that....and so poorly done. At least cajun56's damage looks professionally done.
    shawlerbrook likes this.
    The Flag my father Earned so we could all see it wave.
    Team .45/70 #1879
    Team 1894 #575

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links