Owner purchased the gun with personalized graphics on the stock_ wants it removed - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Owner purchased the gun with personalized graphics on the stock_ wants it removed

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jgriffin1988 View Post
    Why didn’t you just cut a cup into the stock and inlay a medallion or ornamental plug? Isn’t the stock sanded down kinda narrow now, the way you did it?
    Also, isn’t it far less expensive to just purchase another set of stocks or just the butt stock and refinish the forearm to match?
    Or did I miss something from the OP?
    A couple of things here ...

Owner's wish was to have the eyesore removed and have a normal butt stock. He gave no consideration to anything else. So I am kinda stuck there.

Next, not to offend anyone here, but I utterly despise one sided decoration. Just don't like it. Think it always looks like someone was too lazy or too cheap to do both sides. JMHO

I follow some advice I once heard from a guy named Dirty Harry Callahan ...

Inlay work of that caliber is just not in my wheel house at the moment. I have delved into it and done several hours of making cavities and filling them but the work I have done so far I would not put out in the public domain. Not ready for prime time. I am kinda selfish in the fact I won't do anything for anyone that I don't believe is the very best I can do at a given task with my knowledge and skill set. If not on that level I just don't do it.

Your way may be better, probably is, but my limited abilities dictated another route that would satisfy the owner.
    Last edited by rjtmac; 04-13-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    Marlin • Benjiman • Beretta • Bushmaster • Harrington & Richardson • Henry • Kimber • Mossberg • Remington • Ruger • Savage • Sig Sauer • Smith & Wesson • Stevens • Taurus • Winchester ... Banner • Bushnell • Cabelas • Center Point • Crimson Trace • Leupold • Nikon • Sig Sauer • Simmons • Tasco

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 VT
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    it is a pentagram, sign of satan worship, it looks like the devil carved it,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Bobshouse likes this.
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I’m confused why so many seem to have a problem with it. Who knows why whom ever owned it first would want to do that the gun but it was theirs to do it to. He must have had a reason. I’m sure he or whom ever ended up with the gun at the time of sale got less than the gun was worth because of it but who cares.

I love buying old hunting rifles, rifles that have usually been moved for many years and then they passed or got too old to hunt and the old guns come for sale for cheap because they often aren’t in good shape and have been carved on etc. I love that about them, I just wish I got to sit and talk to the original owners And here some of the stories behind the guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    256WinMag and shawlerbrook like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    About 98% done ... have a small hole to fill in the middle of the stock on the graphic side. It is a remnant of the deepest hole from the graphic.

Turned out pretty decent. Not the prettiest piece of wood I have worked on but I think it is going to make a really striking looking stock.

The area where the graphic was located is worked down ever so slightly deeper than the rest of the stock. The repair flows well down the stock as well as out along the path to the contour of the edges.

I honestly believe if you didn't know it was there you would never notice it with the naked eye. Knowing it is there allows you feel the lower topography of the graphic area.

So here 'tis ...

The name of some previous owner ...

Scraped and knock down sanded internal tang area. Removed all of the oil soaked surface wood and got it a back to a good clean surface wood that can be sealed.

On to the fore grip later today ...
    Last edited by rjtmac; 04-11-2019 at 02:22 PM.
    Marlin • Benjiman • Beretta • Bushmaster • Harrington & Richardson • Henry • Kimber • Mossberg • Remington • Ruger • Savage • Sig Sauer • Smith & Wesson • Stevens • Taurus • Winchester ... Banner • Bushnell • Cabelas • Center Point • Crimson Trace • Leupold • Nikon • Sig Sauer • Simmons • Tasco

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Wonder how the butt plate will look matched to the slimmer stock.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by OLSKOOL View Post
    it is a pentagram, sign of satan worship, it looks like the devil carved it,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    If it was a pentagram there would be a name somewhere near it from the targeted worshiper asking for power or authority over evil.

Oh, crap, just saw post 25...
    Last edited by Bobshouse; 04-11-2019 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Continued with the thread...
    6'x8' two man rooms with toilets. 23 Years in a Federal Penitentiary

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

Owner purchased the gun with personalized graphics on the stock_ wants it removed

Looks good so far. What is your preferred sealant? Can you use Tru-Oil?
    I have to ask which is cheaper, more economical, faster, etc. ... paying your labor rates for this job or buying a new set of stocks?
    Last edited by jgriffin1988; 04-11-2019 at 03:51 PM.
    M700 likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Duke View Post
    Wonder how the butt plate will look matched to the slimmer stock.
    It will match the profile perfectly ... well almost perfectly ... nothing is PERFECT ...
    Da Duke and shawlerbrook like this.

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jgriffin1988 View Post
    Looks good so far. What is your preferred sealant? Can you use Tru-Oil?
    I have to ask which is cheaper, more economical, faster, etc. ... paying your labor rates for this job or buying a new set of stocks?

Normally I use a TruOil process ...

No way paying for getting it done is cheaper I am sure ... @ $200.00 per hour it adds up pretty quick ... ( well maybe not quite THAT much )

The jobs I get from guys is like I have said before:

This is Great Grand Dad's gun or Grandpa or Dad or Uncle Joe or Dad's friend from the war guns. The owners want the ORIGINAL parts - no replacements unless there is no other route. They are willing to pay to keep things in tact. All I try to do is help them with that as economically as I can.

Besides most stock replacements I have seen you have one of two things. The stock is bare and not finished and has to be finished or the finish is the factory crap and it needs to be refinished.

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links