Owner purchased the gun with personalized graphics on the stock_ wants it removed - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Owner purchased the gun with personalized graphics on the stock_ wants it removed

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Back when they used to do pretty ornate carving on the old long rifles. They did better work than that. The star looks like something that was done while inspried by too much alcohol. Good luck. Too bad you could not find something coll to inlay over it if the burn goes too deep. We used to fix a lot of mess ups with inlays on muzzle loaders.

DEP
    mrguvna likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 4mynra View Post
    It looks like the Star of David to me. But why would you do that....and so poorly done. At least cajun56's damage looks professionally done.
    Star of David has six points, not five.

Guy

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I can attest to why I personalized one weapon. When my father passed I had a custom Ruger built. I had "In memory of Sid Rawdon" inscribed on the barrel. This pistol was mine. This was presented to my brother to hand down because he had more sons than I. I am laughing now because my one son is more into firearms than my brothers. It is no big deal because at the same time I had a clone made for me that I hunt with. I did not have the inscription put on my pistol. If my younger brother passes before me I am to pass it down to whom ever is good with guns. Would I do another firearm with a personal inscription, no. Especially on the wood, wood is to beautiful to scar up. You can replace barrels and such.

This also reminds me of a ROA i was about to buy for $150. Someone used an scribing (electric) tool to put there initials in the frame. It was the most shaky job I ever saw. It was deep too. Ended up passing on it. To much metal to be removed to make it look good.
    M700, shawlerbrook and marlinluvr like this.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    I have to wonder if a youngster was responsible for the "customization". That might look fairly official in the eyes of 12 year old "Deputy PB".

bgl0b6, Boris, M700 and 4 others like this.

ET2 (SW) US Navy Veteran 1998 - 2004

Team 60 - #225 (Team Captain)
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire - #22
    Team .22 Magnum - #98
    Team 35 Remington - #755

Team 30-30 - #1106
    Team 45-70 - #1409
    Team Bikers - #82

Rimfire: Model 81 DL / Model 88 / Model 25N / Model 70P Papoose / Model 99 M1 / Glenfield Model 60 / J.C. Higgins Model 44 DLM
    Centerfire: Model 336RC (.35 Rem) / Model 1895 / J.C. Higgins Model 45 (30-30) / Glenfield Model 30A (30-30)

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I have wanted to catch the "Artful Carver" for years. I would put his hands in a vice and use a cheater bar to close it. He runs around with Bubba and was last seen fleeing in a green Yugo.
    Da Duke and marlinluvr like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Whut he said^^^^^^^^^^^
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Duke View Post
    I can attest to why I personalized one weapon. When my father passed I had a custom Ruger built. I had "In memory of Sid Rawdon" inscribed on the barrel. This pistol was mine. This was presented to my brother to hand down because he had more sons than I. I am laughing now because my one son is more into firearms than my brothers. It is no big deal because at the same time I had a clone made for me that I hunt with. I did not have the inscription put on my pistol. If my younger brother passes before me I am to pass it down to whom ever is good with guns. Would I do another firearm with a personal inscription, no. Especially on the wood, wood is to beautiful to scar up. You can replace barrels and such.

This also reminds me of a ROA i was about to buy for $150. Someone used an scribing (electric) tool to put there initials in the frame. It was the most shaky job I ever saw. It was deep too. Ended up passing on it. To much metal to be removed to make it look good.
    I have no problem with engraving that will be part of the gun's identity if it is professionally done. Normally I would prefer it be on the metal in a tasteful size and in a location where it flows or fits in with the manufactures stamping or decoration.

I had these done a couple of Christmas' ago. Heritage Rough Riders for the Wife / daughters / granddaughters ( always have called them my Angels so an "A" on theirs with a number designation for the order they came into my life ), Son in Laws ( SnL with # designation ), Grandsons (GS with # designation ).

Not opposed to the engraving or decoration - just want it tastefully done ...
    Last edited by rjtmac; 04-12-2019 at 02:58 AM.
    Marlin • Benjiman • Beretta • Bushmaster • Harrington & Richardson • Henry • Kimber • Mossberg • Remington • Ruger • Savage • Sig Sauer • Smith & Wesson • Stevens • Taurus • Winchester ... Banner • Bushnell • Cabelas • Center Point • Crimson Trace • Leupold • Nikon • Sig Sauer • Simmons • Tasco

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 VT
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I don't mind nicely done engraving and carving. I don't like a lot of these new guns that have big logos and instructions stamped in the metal.
    Henry88, M700 and marlinluvr like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Why didn’t you just cut a cup into the stock and inlay a medallion or ornamental plug? Isn’t the stock sanded down kinda narrow now, the way you did it?
    Also, isn’t it far less expensive to just purchase another set of stocks or just the butt stock and refinish the forearm to match?
    Or did I miss something from the OP?
    M700 likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M700 View Post
    Star of David has six points, not five.

Guy
    to me it looks like..........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bobshouse likes this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads