Family Member Project - Remington TargetMaster Model 510 ... 1939
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Family Member Project - Remington TargetMaster Model 510 ... 1939

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Family Member Project - Remington TargetMaster Model 510 ... 1939

I have had this little Model 510 in the gun closet now going on about 6 months. I have avoided touching this thing like it is carrying some kind of plague. Why have such an aversion to working on a little single shot .22 bolt action. It belongs to family.

Don't get me wrong here. Don't mind doing the work for family. Doing the work for the family rate ... $0.00. Don't mind going the extra mile to do some little extras. I just really dislike doing stuff and never knowing how it is really accepted - 'cause all the feedback your gonna get is the - "it's great and that's exactly what I wanted and couldn't be any better and on an on with the platitudes" and you are left with an endless outcome of never really knowing. I really hate that.

I am on hold on the Stevens 311 and the Stevens 77D projects. To complete these 2 projects I need to paint the Aluminum Trigger Guards. I tried a new paint, on recommendation from a couple of guys on forums, on the Aluminum Trigger Guard on the Savage Model 342 Hornet. A paint used to paint outdoor grills. Was touted as just the "dinktum". Well it wasn't. My go to paint for Aluminum has always been Dura Coat. But the darn stuff is expensive in the rattle can form I have used. Works great but there is a lot of waste if you don't have 3 or 4 guns to paint. Once the Dura Coat rattle can is prepped to use - you have to use the entire can or as much of it as you are going to use in about 4 hours then the can becomes clogged and useless and the mixed paint starts to cure and harden.

So I am waiting. Embarking on a new path here. Have toyed back and forth with airbrush painting. Using an air brush allows me to buy the Dura Coat paint and it's Activating Agent in Small 4 oz. bottles. I can use as little or as much as I need without wasting a lot of paint and money.

I have a new airbush kit and small air compressor on the way. Should be here today or Saturday. We will see how this goes.

All of that to say the 3 or 4 day delay provided the opportunity for the Model 510 Project. Gun belongs to my brother in law. The gun belonged to his paternal grandfather. So it is a stem to stern refurb. Furniture and metal.

A few before pics:

Had an Uncle's name - address - and phone number on the stock with Marks a Lot. I did a little retouching and removed a lot of it for this pic.

Have started work on the furniture and the metal ... more pics when the work gets a little farther along.
    Last edited by rjtmac; 03-17-2019 at 07:58 AM.
    DWF, smoke-eater, DRSLYR and 4 others like this.
    NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I've got a 194sumptin Model 510 in the safe. It's in the about the same shape as yours is. The thing about that old single shot, is that it shoots dime size groups at 50 yds. with open sights. The Remington 5-teen rifles are all great rifles. I wished my CZ shot as good as that old Remington. I've also got a Model 511 that's in a little better shape, and it ain't bad either.
    Gareth Holland likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have one. My Dad bought it in the 30's. It is an absolute tack driver. Or was, I left it barrel down in a gun bag beside the safe and was gone for a week. When I returned, something had leaked in the shop and badly corroded the last 3 or 4 inches of the barrel. I could see the floor had been wet and then dried up but never figured it out for sure.
    My Dad talked about it being a deluxe model because it had a shell bed to lay the cartridge on and didn't have to stick it in the chamber.
    Team 35 member #31 - Team 45/70 member #70
    Team 30/30 Member #117 - Team 375 member #39
    Team 22 Mag. Member #014 - Team 32 spl #167
    Team Wheelgun #21

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    My dad bought me the smoothbore version when I was a kid. Countless rats and blackbirds fell to that little gun. When I was in college, Dad wrapped it in an old wool Army blanket and stored it in the attic. When I found it, it had a furry stock. The finish had liquified in the extreme heat and stuck to the wool. I disassembled it, planning to refinish it, but it remained forgotten in a closet, and I think the "ex" trashed it after the divorce.
    Team 45-70 #1860
    NRA
    United Bowhunters of N.J.
    Salem County Sportsmens Club
    Life Member, Past Chief Harrisonville Fire Co.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by L Pete View Post
    I've got a 194sumptin Model 510 in the safe. It's in the about the same shape as yours is. The thing about that old single shot, is that it shoots dime size groups at 50 yds. with open sights. The Remington 5-teen rifles are all great rifles. I wished my CZ shot as good as that old Remington. I've also got a Model 511 that's in a little better shape, and it ain't bad either.

I am sure this one is being refurbed to become a training rifle for grand kids. Will be a 5th generation firearm. From Grandpa to his Son then his Sons and now to their Sons and Daughters.

Brother in law who is the owner is a big time hunter and gun owner. Hunts all over the world - literally ... This little firearm will reside in the safe with some really nice fire power. Needs to be able to hold it's own around all of the nicely dressed and outfitted friends it will be around.

Can't have the little guy put in a situation where it is going to feel inferior.
    Last edited by rjtmac; 03-15-2019 at 01:04 PM.
    NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    I know what you mean about family! I am a transmission rebuilder, if I had the money my family should have paid me I could get a few nice old marlins! but it works both ways. my brother is a master carpenter, I am not, he has done a bunch for me, including building the cabin I live in! he probably thinks the same way,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Gareth Holland and Golphin like this.
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

everybody has a plan until they get hit in the mouth,,mike Tyson,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by OLSKOOL View Post
    I know what you mean about family! I am a transmission rebuilder, if I had the money my family should have paid me I could get a few nice old marlins! but it works both ways. my brother is a master carpenter, I am not, he has done a bunch for me, including building the cabin I live in! he probably thinks the same way,,,,,,,,,,,,,

In this relationship with my brother in law I come out way on the LONG end. He is a retired Veterinarian and he has taken care of our animals for years for free or at a VERY reduced cost. We get to share in his Mountain home during the year. He has a few pieces of large equipment that I use every once in a while at no charge. HE gives of his time and effort around my place during the year. Through the years I have done computer work for him personally and for his business so it is a good back and forth give and take.

The $$$$ have nothing to do with the hesitation, just the "unspoken" that leaves me hanging.
    Last edited by rjtmac; 03-15-2019 at 07:48 PM.
    OLSKOOL and Gareth Holland like this.
    NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Got the initial strip and sanding done on the stock. All that ever does is to reveal all the stuff you couldn't see plus it just always seems to make the obvious stuff look worse. LOL

In reality there are several deep gouges, some deep holes and lots of just impact and banging damage. Gonna be fun getting all of these out. Holes marked with boxes and other damage is circles.

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    And 3 1/2 hours later we have this. Some of the damage spots were pretty tough to get out. Just going to need a final sanding before the finish apps are applied. I think it is going to be a really attractive stock. It's going to have some nice contrast in the grain patterns.

It is amazing to me what you can make disappear with a little creative repair work.

Still in the back and forth thinking on making a white Butt Plate Spacer for this one. Right now am leaning toward yes but wondering about putting it on an 80 year old gun. Being a little target rifle I am thinking it would look o.k. ...

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155
    Team 30-30 #1366

Team Bikers #58c

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
    I have one. My Dad bought it in the 30's. It is an absolute tack driver. Or was, I left it barrel down in a gun bag beside the safe and was gone for a week. When I returned, something had leaked in the shop and badly corroded the last 3 or 4 inches of the barrel. I could see the floor had been wet and then dried up but never figured it out for sure.
    My Dad talked about it being a deluxe model because it had a shell bed to lay the cartridge on and didn't have to stick it in the chamber.
    Here in my part of the country, we called that little thing in the bottom of the receiver a "night loader". Just drop a round in the receiver and it points the nose of the round into the chamber as the bolt is pushed forward. It beats the heck out of trying to find the chamber to start the round in before closing the bolt while out hunting in the dark. It works good in the daylight, too. Remington Model 510s and 510-Xs are the only single shot .22 rifles that I've ever seen with the night loader. I believe that all of those rifles had them. The later 5-teen single shots didn't have it, nor did any other brand of rifle.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links