Starline and PPU Brass ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Starline and PPU Brass ?

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Starline and PPU Brass ?

My friend picked up a Norinco M305 M1A clone and it shoots very well. They seem to be a lot of bang for your buck. We can get a pretty good deal on PPU 500 round 7.62x51 ammo and I can also get Starline brass at a decent price. My question is, for reloading, how does Starline and PPU brass stand up to use in an M1A or M14. Is anyone trying it and how long does it last with M1A safe loads ? I also have about 100 Valcartier (IVI ) military brass but I've already necked that up for .338 Federal. It works great in the .338.
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Don't reload that particular calibur, I do like Starline products, don't know much about PPU, try the Starline see if you like it.
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    Yesterday I was younger

Contributing Member
    Member #
    My only experience with PPU was with once fired .303 British. Sized to where they just chambered in my #5 to not overwork the brass. Moderate load. Easy extraction. ALL split the neck. #4s are notorious for separating case heads on reloads due to over sized chambers. That I can understand. But case necks? On the 2nd firing. I won't be buying any of their brass until I learn otherwise.

AC
    94win30wcf likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I've used both in 30 carbine & 7.62x39 with good results. You have no worries with it.
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    Smith & Wesson The Handgun Of Choice!
    Revolvers Rule.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    when I see fired PPU brass on the gound. I leave it there.
    gunscrewguy and Boris like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I've loaded both with good results. I have some 243 PPU I used to test loads. I got 50 pieces for free so I took 5 pieces to work on loads with.

I annealed every 3 firings and they are on reload # 13 with no issues.

Trying to get the 105gr Hornady BTHP to fly from my little model 7 and she ain't having it but the brass has held up like a champ.
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    PPU and Starline are both good brass.

I load a lot of PPU / PRVI Partizan and Starline in 308 when I find it laying around. Both tend to be on the 'heavier' side of brass production and I've never had an issue with them.

I shoot my M1A / M14 rifles extensively and reload for them more than any other caliber. Granted, a majority of my brass is processed MilSurp 7.62 stuff from GIBrass, but I do shoot the 308 cases when I come across them.

The only thing you might find to be a problem with using commercial 308 brass and the M1A is that the extractor can chew up the case head pretty good on certain rifles. I've only gotten 4 loadings out of most 308 brass before they go into the 'scrap bin' for recycling.
    Team 45-70 #1790

Team 1894 #554

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    ?? That's a surprise PPU has been the hands down absolute best brass for me in my old 303 and mine is a #1 Mk 3 made in 1915 so it's got some wear on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunscrewguy View Post
    My only experience with PPU was with once fired .303 British. Sized to where they just chambered in my #5 to not overwork the brass. Moderate load. Easy extraction. ALL split the neck. #4s are notorious for separating case heads on reloads due to over sized chambers. That I can understand. But case necks? On the 2nd firing. I won't be buying any of their brass until I learn otherwise.

AC
    Last edited by BillyHill; 04-16-2018 at 11:22 PM.
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Following this thread...

I don't yet reload for my M1A. I have enough Winchester "white box" or "Q-loads" (Winchester No. Q3130) 7.62 NATO to last quite a while so I am policing the brass for later reloading.

The brass is headstamped "WCC xx" (xx = date code) with the NATO circle-cross; crimped primers. I always assumed this was GI brass.

Norinco's are good rifles but some of them do have dimensional issues. Years ago when all it was were newsgroups on the internet, I recall some guy on rec.guns reported that his rear sight wouldn't hold its setting no matter how tight he screwed down the elevation knob screw. Turned out the knob serrations on the receiver were only partially stamped around the hole.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    As far as the M1A be careful on reloading for this rifle. go ahead and purchase a wilson case guage to ensure the shoulder does not get moved around. I have never reloaded with starline in the 308 but the ppu brass yes. it seems tougher to size than others so it may be thicker.
    Ret_Eng likes this.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links