OT- A tribute
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT- A tribute

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

OT- A tribute

In my life there have been several people that stand out as having a major impact on my life. Jan 22, 2005 I lost one of those people to a long battle with heart problems. When we moved to Lincoln Co in 1976 I remember riding on US 64 going to Monteagle and crossing the Elk River bridge. I looked off into a huge corn field and remember thinking how I would love to hunt there. I later found out that the land I loved to look at was the area that Davy Crockett made his hunts on in The Lincoln Co Chronicles. This area that bordered the river was owned by the same family for several generations and is one of the longest running family farms in the Co. Several years later I met the owner of the property and we hit it off immediatly. I started helping him do electrical work. He had a long standing policy of no hunting on this farm. Huge bucks were seen regularly from the road. One day he told me "If I ever let anyone hunt this land it will be you". Shortly after that he told me one day to treat it like it was mine. We became the best of friends and our families grew together. I have killed walls full of trophy bucks on the farm. I lave lost count of does we have taken there. It's in the hundreds. We had a land owner / hunter relationship like no other. His health began failing in the 90's and after several strokes and open heart surgery he finaly had to retire. Last year he really started going down. Where he once got out and walked miles he would ride in his truck fifty yards to his shop. I knew that his time was short. In December his heart basicaly gave up and he had a pacemaker installed. This prolonged the inevitable. He finally passed on the 22nd of January. His legacy lives on as a steward of the land and a close friend. Many people credit their fathers for most of their hunting skill and success. He was a second father to me and helped make me into a pretty decent deer hunter. He has done so much for wildlife managment and just plain general good for the county that he will long be remembered here as a friend to all.

Mr. Richard
    October 6,1930- January 22,2005

Team 444 member 57
    Team LTD-V member 1
    Team 45-70 member 42
    Team .450 member 5\
    Team .375 member 62

Gun Wizard
    Member #

OT- A tribute

It never easy losing ones who have guided us and looked out for us over the years. Just remeber the good times and pass on the knowlage you've gained. Probally what you'd like to see happen if your were in his shoes. I know I would.

You have my utmost simpathys
    Canadian outdoorsman.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

OT- A tribute

I'm Sad to hear of such a great freind of yours passing on.
    Proverbs 12:27
    "The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious."

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #

OT- A tribute

If what we're told is true, you'll be together in no time at all, then you'll have eternity to hunt together once again. I believe this with all my heart.

Site Contributor - Team Marlin Express Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

OT- A tribute

I remember a friend of my Fathers talking to me after my Dad passed away. He said, ya know when it is all said and done and we are gone, it doesnt matter how rich or how poor we are, but rather the lives we have touched and how we touched them. He told me that my dad had saved his life time and time again by what he taught him on the job, and that by the 3 miles of vehicles in the funeral he guessed that my Dad touched a few lives. We are lucky to live with the memory's of such friends.
    IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KILLED IN ACTION 23 APR 07, AGE 19, MUQUDADIYAH, IRAQ.

Member #

OT- A tribute

Well, He's in a better place now.......now all He's got to worry about is the taxes :lol: :lol:

T3~ Then we can talk about cookin that yard bird in the spider..... :lol:

Member #

OT- A tribute

Thing that brings a smile to my face about this relationship, is I hope I will have a friend or friends who would think that way about me when my time comes. There is no greater compliment to your friend than that which you have just done.

Randy
    BOT GBUSA, Charter member team 444.
    Life member NRA, Life member WAC.

Sidewinder
    Member #

OT- A tribute

Mr.Richard is watching you right now and he is a proud man.You have done him well with those very kind words.He knows how you feel and I am sure that in his last moments,here on Earth,he thought of you and remembered all those good times you and him shared together.One thing for sure,you will never forget him and that is good.God bless.
    173 rd. Airborne Brigade,Vietnam 66-67,Pointman,tunnel rat.
    82nd. Airborne Division, Vietnam 68, Sniper
    Member of Single Action Shooting Society
    NRA member.

Member #

OT- A tribute

Thanks for the kind replies gentlemen. After I posted that my son and I drove over to deliver his widow one of my wifes special cherry pies. We spent most of the evening with her. She is one of the most gracious ladies I have ever known. She re-afirmed that we are still family. She has already instructed me to keep on treating the place like its mine.

A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly; and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24

reflex264

Team 444 member 57
    Team LTD-V member 1
    Team 45-70 member 42
    Team .450 member 5\
    Team .375 member 62

RugerCal480

OT- A tribute

Special people cross paths in unexpected ways...your tribute to Mr. Richard shows two people who learned to appreciate and share a special friendship, For those kind of contacts in our lives we all do well to give thanks for them and celebrate life. Thanks for enriching all of us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links