How old is old enough
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Member #

How old is old enough

My son turned 9 this year. This spring he wants to go on his 1st boar hunt, and he is ready. He has a marlin 336-44 with a decent scope. He hand-loaded his own hornady 240gr solid points over H-4227. He has proven he can shoot accurately enough. The question is.... Is 9 to young to experiance a kill?? I was 15 when I shot my first deer.

He has been shooting guns and bows since he was 6. He has also helped my skin and butcher my deer for the past two years, but that is all different then being in the field, and actually pulling the trigger.

Banned
    Member #

How old is old enough

Take the boy hunting already, he's earned it.

Member #

How old is old enough

Back him up for DG, but yeah, take him.....he'll never forget it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #

How old is old enough

By all means I agree. He is ready, now is the time. You have done a great job preparing him, now he can start to experience what you've prepared him for. You won't forget it either. I started my son early and through the years he's been my favorite hunting partner. Now he's grown and I wouldn't trade those times for a million dollars. Enjoy every minute of this time, it's a precious gift! And take plenty of pictures. Rev Buck

RugerCal480

How old is old enough

Boar hunting and deer hunting are two different animals....a boar will charge the shooter if he gets the chance...a deer doesn't. I wouldn't take any 9 yr old hunting boar...no matter how many deer he has skinned. I don't think it's safe for a 9 yr. old. Take him deer hunting. It's safer! Scare him at 9 and it may be a loooong time before he wants to hunt again. My question to you would be...could you live with yourself if it turned out to be a tragedy? instead of fun?? I have seen what a boar can do to an adult man's leg...not pretty. Shooting a gun without adrenalin is one thing...shooting a boar charging is quite a different matter. Go for the deer. In a stand...is it a a different story...consider...most accidents from a stand are from falls...even with adults in good physical condition. A 9 yr. old on a wet stand ladder?? you be the judge.

Member #

How old is old enough

You may have a point Ruger. I started my boy on deer, from a stand. He watched me make a few kills first.

Site Contributor - Team Marlin Express Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

How old is old enough

Depends on if you are hunting from a stand. If you are where a bore cant tear him up, why not take him? The worst thing you could is make him loose interest. If he is ready why not. People let their kids play football and about 50 kids die each year from injuries, that doesnt stop parents from letting their kids play.

My kids have been going hunting with me since they were two. Killing game is nothing more than part of life, they dont get freaked out about it. It was a good education for my son who is 4, he wanted to see the deers heart and I showed him and explained how the heart worked, he still talks about it.
    IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KILLED IN ACTION 23 APR 07, AGE 19, MUQUDADIYAH, IRAQ.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

How old is old enough

jrank -

I agree with some of the others - boars can be a little much for a 9 year old. If you're shooting from a stand that's one thing, take him along. If you're beating the bush I think a few more years would be to his advantage - take him deer and small game hunting instead.

But I'm no expert - the only pigs I've shot were the domestic variety using shotgun slugs. First one was between the eyes from under 3 feet(too far low and too far forward as it turned out) -- and it very nearly got my buddy's leg before I could get another shot into it. Skip J. was dancing and prancing and fending it off with a stick while shouting at me to shoot it again - which I did as soon as I could get a clear shot and not shoot Skip. A nine year old may not have fared so well.
    Coyote Hunter - NRA Life, Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!
    Team 375 Member #77
    Team 30-30 Member #1186
    Team 45-70 Member #1513

Nanook 450

How old is old enough

I'm taking my 8 yr old little girl feral hog hunting this weekend - not sure they are any safer to hunt than boars, but we are going. Until Coyote Hunters story, was unaware that there is greater than a 1% chance that a feral hog would "charge" - don't tell mom!

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

How old is old enough

Hello Riflemen: jrank-It sounds to me like you have done a wonderful job raising that boy. My hat's off to you. I think that if your son has been on hog hunts with you before and is familiar with them, AND stays at your side during the hunt, you guys are good to go. However, I am not familiar with hog hunting so I am generally speaking on principle here. My sons hunted birds with a 410 and hiked with me on deer hunts at your sons age. Ultimately it's your own good experience that will guide your decision. A good DAD you are
    Coyote Hunter-I would give up a pay check to have been watching you and your horrified buddy trying to kill that hog!!!!! I'm seriously laughing my butt of as I type :lol: :lol: :lol: SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT! FOR GOD"S SAKE SHOOT IT!!!!!!!!!!! Good morning Riflemen, BestLever
    Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us." Life is good, BestLever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links