Cross Bolt Safety - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Cross Bolt Safety

Tried to vote without selecting an answer, but that didn't work.

The fact is , I don't care one way or another. The crossbolt on my .45-70 cost me the best buck I ever dropped a hammer on, but I like the crossbolt when unloading.

No crossbolt on my Marlin 375 or Browning B92, but have one on the 1895.

Wouldn't change any of them.
    Coyote Hunter - NRA Life, Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!
    Team 375 Member #77
    Team 30-30 Member #1186
    Team 45-70 Member #1513

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Cross Bolt Safety

My original 39A dated back to before WWII and did my original 336 .30-30 and .35 both were from the time period before Ralph Nader changed every facet of our lives. All were stolen in the mid-nineties and have been replaced with the newer model and, in addition, an 1894 .44 Mag.

I prefer not having one since the guns I grew up with didn't have them. In fact, I will probably get the kit and remove them from all three of my Marlins. I don't happen to like the rebounding hammer, either. Doesn't look natural to me.
    y SECOND protects you FIRST

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

Cross Bolt Safety

Hello Riflemen: Mixed bag for me. During hunting season I tape the thing off. When I'm done the tape comes off. I have dropped the hammer on the saftey at the range so I don't contend with it in the woods. Around here there just is not enough time for my brain to process that extra step when it's time to be shooting. Life is good, BestLever
    Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us." Life is good, BestLever

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #

Cross Bolt Safety

Wish there was a way to block/unblock easily.....I like it on for unloading but would prefer to not use it otherwise.

Platinum Poster
    Member #

Cross Bolt Safety

Tubby.. the o ring is the easiest if you decide to do something.
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Cross Bolt Safety

Quote Originally Posted by Gunjunkie
    Tubby.. the o ring is the easiest if you decide to do something.
    Ditto.

Jayco
    Howdy Boys.

Site Contibutor Super Moderator
    Member #

Cross Bolt Safety

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. A
    Does not bother me at all. I use it to shuck my shells. Otherwise, it is a non-entity. Had a guy I knew that would carry the hammer cocked all the time hunting (and one in the chamber), and used the safety. His argument was that is just what we are doing with a one in the chamber in a bolt gun with the safety on. He is right.

Dunno bout that. You squeeze the trigger on a bolt gun with the saftey on & nothing happens. That marlin the hammer drops. Cant fire I suppose but what if the saftey got pushed off somehow? Bolt guns have always made me a bit uneasy for just that reason, I know theres a striker in there waiting to fall. Lever gun at half cock cant go off unless its dropped in a pretty specifc way. I like Brownings idea on the BLR 81. its got a short pin so if you lower the hammer on it it cant contact the primer. I still use half cock as thats what I'm acustomed to but they recomend putting the hammer down.
    Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/
    Team 1894 member#146
    Team 45/70 member#458
    Freedoms not free!
    Support your NRA!

Nanook 450

Cross Bolt Safety

Quote Originally Posted by luisyamaha
    Doesn't bother me one whit! :? My two Marlins have it, my Winchester does not. If you can't keep track of wether you put the safety on or not, maybe you should consider not having a loaded rifle in your hands. :x
    I bet all the Harley riders would agree . . .

Member #

Cross Bolt Safety

Quote Originally Posted by Nanook 450
    Doesn't bother me one whit! :? My two Marlins have it, my Winchester does not. If you can't keep track of wether you put the safety on or not, maybe you should consider not having a loaded rifle in your hands. :x
    I'll tell ya this: The damn CB safety is the ONLY saftey I've ever run across that somehow, strangly, changes from where you left it a couple minuets ago. It's just too easy to move, so I really don't buy that "keep track of it" stuff. It is why you should keep track of where it's pointed...THAT'S the safety.

Banned
    Member #

Cross Bolt Safety

Quote Originally Posted by tubbythetuba
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanook 450
    I'll tell ya this: The damn CB safety is the ONLY saftey I've ever run across that somehow, strangly, changes from where you left it a couple minuets ago. It's just too easy to move, so I really don't buy that "keep track of it" stuff. It is why you should keep track of where it's pointed...THAT'S the safety.
    TTT; You should always carry with the Cross Bolt on and hammer at full cock. Then habit will teach you to flip the Cross bolt to the fire position everytime you go to shoot. Then it will be off when the hammer drops. When I started carrying 1911's for personnal defense the safety was a pain to learn to flip off. I learned it less than two weeks. The military didn't allow one in the pipe so the safety was left off and you had to jack the slide. Made for fast draw but a very slow shot; very stupid way for a soldier to carry a weapon.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links