A short story from a non-story teller.Your opinion?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Distinguished Master
    Member #

When I got the disease I have I had to sell our house and all my logging equipment in McCall and move to Boise Idaho for Vocational Rehab.Two years later and they said good ridence my wife did not want to move back to McCall Idaho.So we bought a new Manufactured Home(Trailer) in Cascade from what seemed to be a nice guy.Vietnam vet with fisical problems and single.He bought a place half way from Cascade to Riggins where we spend alot of time.So we always stopped by his little cabin and said howdy.(Not from Idaho)

Well....I was making the trip with my son only and he told me about his hunting the last season.He shot a nice Bull Elk and only wounded it with his 7MM Buttttt instead of putting it out of his misery he started kicking it in the @ss so it would get up and stumble down hill closer to his ATV.He did this several times he said..I only said we have to go and have not seen him since and don't want to.

Is this right in your minds?My wife would have started a fight if she was there.I just left without a word.It was trouble or just leave...

Jayco the story teller.True story!!!!!
    Howdy Boys.

Member #

I don't doubt you for a second, but I think (hopefully) he was pulling your leg. A wounded anything would have tried to fight back and he would have been gored (my opinion only.....don't know that as a fact)

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Nope Tubby..It was true.He described it to the tee and was proud of it evidently not knowing right from wrong.

I have been around the block in my day and know bull when I see it.This loner had know problem describing every detail from almost getting the horn to the damned thing just gave out.

Owe well.........Jayco
    Howdy Boys.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #

Jayco, that didn't sound right, so I'll try again...I would, as I ,feel you would, put him down as soon as I could, packing, pullin' draggin' is part of the sport...Jake.

Really Short Fuse Administrator
    Edmond, Oklahoma - That's just North of the Red River Team .444 Charter Member
    Member #

Good on ya Jay, I could NEVER treat one of God's creatures like that.

Dave
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/
    MO Member #77

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Jake-I've pulled my boners in my day.I once shot a Huge Bull he just stood there never takin a step and finally hit the dirt squirming around as they sometimes do before dieing.So I thought I would save a Nosler and put him out of his misery with my wifes 45 acp.Got schrapnel in my foot from the 45 acp bullet exploding on its brain...Memory kicked in and a quick one in the ear ended all.

Never again.....The 454 or my rifle to finish off the critter.One should never have to suffer..Man or Animal.

Jayco
    Howdy Boys.

Wrangler
    Member #

jayco - What the guy did sure as H-- was wrong. No animal should be made to suffer. What you did when he told you about it, thats your call. You were there not me, but you've said enought on this board for me to know that I wouldn't try to 2nd guess you on how you handled it.

Happy New Year !

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK; faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out."

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jaycocreek
    Jake-I've pulled my boners in my day.I once shot a Huge Bull he just stood there never takin a step and finally hit the dirt squirming around as they sometimes do before dieing.So I thought I would save a Nosler and put him out of his misery with my wifes 45 acp.Got schrapnel in my foot from the 45 acp bullet exploding on its brain...Memory kicked in and a quick one in the ear ended all.

Never again.....The 454 or my rifle to finish off the critter.One should never have to suffer..Man or Animal.

Jayco
    A quick story, explaining why I don't carry a hand gun when hunting. Right after getting out of the service, my dad and I were up around Tensleep Wyo. hunting deer. We hadn't been huntin' togeather for over four years, so it was a great trip, and as always we had a bet on who would get the biggest buck. He took a nice 4x4 opening day, but I had seen a real nice buck in the area, and knew it was bigger. The third day, I lowered the boom on him, good heart lung shot, and he went into a gulch. When I got to where I could see him, he was laying on his stomach, looking straight at me, maybe 20 yards away. I was carrying an old Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine. I pulled it to take a head shot, and proceeded to shoot off his left antler, which did kill him, but I ended up buying beer for the ole' man for the next week. After that my second shots, when needed, have been with the rifle... ops: ops: ops: ...Jake.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Jayco,
    I think most of us feel the same as you. It's disrespectful to not finish off game humanely. But I think you handled it the right way. Better to just leave, than start anything with him.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Nanook 450

I cut their throat. I know, you could get horned or hoofed - only cut two doe's throats. But, point blank with a rifle, versus my 44 mag - always carry a revolver - also good for close shots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links