Food while out in Hunting Season?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Lets here it.What do you take in your Camper/Tent aka away from home for food.Breakfast-Lunch and Dinner?Sandwiches-Canned stuff-MRE'S....Gotta eat while chasing the critters and away from the "Luxuries" of life.

Jayco.
    Howdy Boys.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Breakfast rarely varies -- instant oatmeal and OJ. Instant coffee for those that drink it.

Before leaving the trailer we make our lunch and snacks for the day -- one PBJ and one meat/cheese sandwich, one apple, one Snickers candy bar, ond cinnamon-raison bagel.

Supper is the big meal. My hunting buddy and I bennerally both prepare one meal in advance so all we have to do is heat it up. Mine is generally a concoction made of ground meat, stewed tomatoes, three-bean salad, onions, fresh mushrooms, corn, tomato paste and other goodies. (Definitely a spoon food.) One night we have Gumbo Burgers, fried lean ground meat with a can of Campbell's Chicken Gumbo soup added at the last minute and heated up, served as a sandwich with onions, catsup and mustard. Another favorite is my wife's baked beans and served with Polish Kielbasa. Fried potatoes and onions with eggs over easy is another favorite.

Dang, I'm getting hungry!
    Coyote Hunter - NRA Life, Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!
    Team 375 Member #77
    Team 30-30 Member #1186
    Team 45-70 Member #1513

Deadeye
    Member #

Eggs, bacon, butter, sausages, milk, butter, OJ, venison, other meat, butter, bread, onions, potatoes, apples, butter, salt, pepper, sugar, coffee, and whiskey. Don't forget the butter. Lunch is an apple or two. Yes, I...

Live well
    Live well
    -

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

We're light on the breakfast, as we want to be out hunting early. Usually a bowl of cereal, or a roll, and some coffee or milk.
    Lunch is packed with us and consists of sandwich, trail mix, jerky, apples and candy bars. A couple of bottles of water too.
    Dinner is the biggee! We go all out, as everyone chips in and between the 4 of us, we generally have two camp stoves going, and eat until we can't move!
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Member #

A light breakfast,just cereal and coffee,I pack a lunch of a sandwich some beef jerky and a couple of candy bars and a couple of bottles of water..And I am gone all day unless I get one..

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Depends on where I'm hunting. If I am here in Ohio-- breakfast is a granola bar and a diet pepsi. I carry a peanut butter and jelly for lunch and another granola bar.
    If I am in Kentucky----I have a wonderful aunt (now 84) who insists I have bacon, eggs, hash browns and home made bisquets before heading to the back 500 to shoot her a deer.
    She still cans her garden and gets around probably better than me! But those dang deer and turkey ruin her garden --- so I shoot her one of each every year!!
    "That wasn't shootin, that was killin" -- Rafe Covington

Wrangler
    Member #

We do a HUGE breakfast in camp around 3 or 4 a.m. Eggs, grits (it's a southern thing) biscuits, sausage gravey, bacon, sausages, hash browns, ham steaks with red eye gravey or smoked pork chops, coffee, juice, oatmeal, butter, jelly and anything else that doesn't move. Breakfast is a pretty important social event as it gives everybody a chance to tell where they will be while hunting and mark the appropriate areas on the HUGE map we have tacked on the wall of the camp kitchen. Lunch is one of two ways. Either everybody comes back in to camp and we make sandwiches or whatever or we pack it in. Now, a packed in lunch can be pretty intresting. The mainstays are sardines (I like the ones with chilies or in hot sauce), vienna sausages (again, I like the ones in BBQ sauce or the jalapeno flavored), beef jerky, Ritz crackers, potted meat or deviled ham, a big hunk of cheese, some kind of fruit (usually a couple of apples or oranges) and maybe a cup-a-soup of those ramen noodles. I always carry a couple of Snicker bars and two MRE's in my back pack just in case. Right now the MRE's I have packed are jambalya and spaghetti w/meat sauce. Dinner can be most anything but it usually involves more drinking than eating. If somebody gets a hog, we'll split him down the back and throw him right on the grill. Now THAT'S living! Other than that a big pot of chili or hearthy stew or maybe even chicken-n-dumplings (again, a southern thing) works just fine for most of the guys.
    quot;The Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to bear arms, the Constitution says the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". - Ronald Reagan

dla
    Deadeye
    Member #

Depends. If I'm backpacking then the food is stuff easy to carry - oatmeal, pastas, rice, etc. And coffee. Always have coffee.

If I'm car-camping then I eat the same as at home. But I always have coffee.

Member #

I usually cut up 3 apples, make 2 or 3 spam/egg/cheese/garlic/onion/hot sauce sandwitchs. Donuts, candy bars and lots of water round it up. A Coke or two tastes good, too. I live so close to the hunting, it's always a day trip for me. I might have to fire up the camp perculater for some hot coffee at lunch this year. The coffee in the vacuum bottle really tastes like poo-poo after a couple hours.

Deadeye
    Member #

Mojo,

I wanna go huntin' with you!
    Live well
    -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links