Not-so-merry Christmas for Freedom Group - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Not-so-merry Christmas for Freedom Group

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Same thing happened in the 70's when Leisure Group bought up a number of sporting goods manufactures including Lyman, Hi-Standard, Ben Pearson Archery and Sierra. Some of the companies, Hi Standard especially, had a drop in quality, but they all seem to have recovered their independence and quality. I hope that Remington and Marlin do the same.
    Experience is the key to making good decisions.
    The best experience comes from making bad decisions.

Hubris is seldom rewarded.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CtYankee View Post
    Same thing happened in the 70's when Leisure Group bought up a number of sporting goods manufactures including Lyman, Hi-Standard, Ben Pearson Archery and Sierra. Some of the companies, Hi Standard especially, had a drop in quality, but they all seem to have recovered their independence and quality. I hope that Remington and Marlin do the same.
    I hope this is the case for all of FG's firearms holdings, rather than dropping off the map!
    Click Click Boom and JACKTW like this.
    I don't believe in fairy tales, sermons, or stories about money....but thank you kindly for the cigarette.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I hold "The Truth About Guns" in high regard. While the popular gun-review model was to hand over a factory picked gun to a "gun writer" who was invited to some nice place with the rest of his "gun-writer" buddies and eat and drink on the company while they reviewed a piece of crap and sluffed it off as "the trigger is a little heavy but a gunsmith can fix it, accuracy is about a hunting-acceptable 2 moa" and I've read where one reviewer sent the rifle back because it was so bad rather than reporting it that way.

Enter The Truth About Guns:

Gun Review: Marlin 1894C .357 Magnum - The Truth About Guns

To their credit, they've also reviewed good Marlins as being good but the above article caused an ex-communication in the church of gun writers. IMO, no major loss till the gunwriter community either regains their integrity or goes away all together.

Freedom Group... I hope it breaks up like the Soviet Union and each company somehow gets a new lease on life.
    Last edited by Mike 338; 12-29-2014 at 08:01 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I do to. Though i don't always agree with them, and sometimes get tired of their particular brand of humor, they certainly calls'em likes they sees'em, which I respect.
    Mike 338 likes this.
    I don't believe in fairy tales, sermons, or stories about money....but thank you kindly for the cigarette.

Banned
    Member #
    If yo guys want a Handi, go to the popular auction site and type "handi". There is an outfit out of Mississippi selling theirs off for $212 with $25 shipping, you can't beat the price.

RGR
    Distinguished Master
    Fallon NV, Home base of TOPGUN, and other NAVY bad guy headaches.
    Member #
    Too the bean counters, in a conglomerate, old line companies are just chess pieces in the game.

High Standard mentioned, was building guns from parts found left over in shelves and drawers. Guns that shot 2 feet high or low, due to the sights not being correct, or even close to correct.

It will take a few years for the market "to correct" as well.

The ammo shortage is starting too level out, maybe guys will start shooting in local matches again. Its sure dropped off around here. And when they do, they will want the newest fastest gun too race.
    Does it occur to those that believe that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, may be because that guy takes the time to take care of his grass?

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Reload View Post
    Miroku Marlin, than your JM Marlin rifles will double in price.
    At least if the Japanese start making Marlins, they'll likely make a better product than Remington was willing to. You wouldn't know any of my Brownings were made there until you look at the barrel stamp.
    Stalker likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Had to happen--I mean it only took 1-2 production cycles after Remington bought Marlin for a simple robust well respected brand to become undesirable simply because some person smart in finance had no clue what to offer the gun buying public.
    Team 444 member #205

Contributing Member
    Member #
    The phrase I remember when asked WHY remington bought Marlin, if they were only going to close it was..........."We saw low hanging fruit, and if we could squeeze that low hanging fruit a little harder, it would bear more juice".....................In other words, they saw the potential to squeeze the company, the company policies, the MFG process AND the workers!

Whatever "rains down" on FGI, remington and Cerberus in the coming year.................I applaud it!............'couldn't happen to a more deserving Network of NitWits!

Tom
    NRA LIFE
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    CCDL

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    It would not bother me a bit to see FGI, Remington, Cerberus collapse. All my Marlins are JM's and have no desire to purchase a substandard remlin, (yes, I have handled plenty of remlins to know that I don't like them).

Ruger makes a fine if even over built firearm, would not mind seeing them buy the Marlin rights.
    rimrock likes this.
    "Nothing says justice like a Rope"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links