Anyone seen or got one of these?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Distinguished Master
    Member #

I was logging for a guy that shot one just like this on opening day and on his way out he stopped at the bar for a Beer and some guy offered him $200 dollars for it(The Head only) and he sold it after he took pic's.I would have kept it.Ever seen one like it or got one?

Jayco.
    Howdy Boys.

Member #

only in the magazines!!!!

Member #

I've seen a few strange racks, but never one that strange or that huge.

A cousin of mine shot a buck some years back that looked like it should have been a big 8-point or even a small-medium 10-point (eastern count) but it was just the biggest spike ever. The deer had the body of a mature buck. It looked like a nice thick main beam to support lots of tines, but the tines never developed. I'll bet it was over 20" wide and close to 12" high.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I saw one last year. He wasn't around long enough for me to get the full flavor of what was wrong, but there were tines going everywhere and the buck was very old. I saw him during quail season, or he'd a been jerky by now. He was bedded up right in the midst of my quail-cover. He did have at least 3 drop tines.

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Short story-I have been hunting all my life and one year just before season just north of McCall Idaho, my wife and I saw antlers without a body yet.We stopped and looked thru the Binocs and argued as to what was under them.My wife said thats an Elk and I said know way and it turned it's head and I agreed.Then it stood up and was the worst looking deer I have ever seen.The head of an Elk and the body of Arnold Swartskitty.If I didn't know better it was a Deer-Elk mix.Darndest thing I have ever seen.Massive antlers wide and tall and the coloring of an Elk but the face of a deer.

True story.

Then another tiime close to Goldfork Idaho we saw three Deer that were built like Klidsdales.Larger quarters than an average Cow Elk with nothing but muscles showing.Awesome sight and I couldn't tell in the quick time we saw them whether Mulies or whatever.

Sorry for the stories but my wife and I have seen some game that looks like it's off of Deliverance without Burt Reynolds prior to hunting season.

I think some of those Orygon critters are swimming the Snake River and rapeing our pure game? :lol:

True story's for sure.

Jayco.
    Howdy Boys.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

My friend's boy shot a real dilly about 10 years ago. The rack was quite normal, but what was attached to it was amazing. The deer was in terrible shape, nearly starved to death. It had another deer's antlered head with some hide hanging on it, antler-locked.

How it managed to shake the head loose from the neck and tear the hide enough to get free is hard to imagine. Likely it would not have survived if it hadn't been shot. The wolves or coyotes would have had easy pickings. It must have been hell just to carry around the extra weight.

Member #

JAYCO I saw one similar around 1963 that was taken in what is
    now TOLEDO BEND LAKE area . But it was a DOE, freakey
    to say the least, if I can find the pic's will post.
    TOM

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

There is a mount remarkably similar on display at the Cabela's in Dundee, Mi. It's a freak for sure.

Perferator
    quot;Salvation is of the Lord" Jonah 2:9

Deadeye
    Member #

:shock: I hunt in the White cliffs area on the Missouri in Montana and there is some kind of mutation in the horns there Manny of the old bucks start growing weird horns. they start out like a potato looking lump then they sprout out with several spikes on each lump and they never seem to lose there velvet. We've shot them well in to November and they were still covered and soft? :shock:
    I'm not putting money it gold any more.
    I'm now investing in " LEAD"

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

Hello Riflemen: I have been looking for that rack for years. I have seen similar racks at B&C shows but this one is as good or better than any I have seen. I have been told by the U.S. Secretary of Deer Racks that this form of deformity occurs in Idyho from oxygen deprevation due to altitude. BestLever
    Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us." Life is good, BestLever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links