Cheap scopes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap scopes

Site Contributor - Team Marlin Express Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Cheap scopes

I have always felt that you get exactly what you pay for when it comes to glass. A friend of mine got a new Winchester shadow M70 in 270 WSM and was having problems sighting in the rifle. It was one of those package rifles that Walmart sells. Comes complete with a Simons 3-9 scope.

He had to go to a wedding today, so he dropped of the rifle before he headed out of town. I took the rifle out and put up a target and backed off to about 10 yards or so. And knelt down and shot. The scope was way low and way right (nothing to do with the brand of scope) What I didn't feel comfortable with was the eye relief, it felt like I was right up on the scope to be able to see. I adjusted the scope and shot ect, ect, well the third shot got me! Didn't break the skin, but hurt like hell. I got the rifle on paper with the 10 rounds that he had left. When I got done I called him up and told him....if it were me, I would get another scope. A Leupold Rifle or VX-1 in 3-9 for the $200 price range.

This Simons only has about an inch to an inch and a half of eye relief. I told him if he didn't a better scope, I would most likely be seeing him in the ER putting stiches in This 270 WSM doesn't even have much of a recoil, it is not like it kicks the living Sh$% out of you or anything like that, but and inch of eye relief isn't much with a highpower rifle. A cheap scope might be ok for a 22...maby. I guess if you get a package deal rifle with a scope for $400 one of the two isn't worth much, and the rifle goes BANG....so does the scope for that matter, so maby you do get a lot of BANG for your buck
    IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KILLED IN ACTION 23 APR 07, AGE 19, MUQUDADIYAH, IRAQ.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Cheap scopes

I think I would rather have a cheap gun with a good scope than the other way around. I've had bad luck with the cheap ones, but I guess some people get lucky with them.
    Proverbs 12:27
    "The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious."

Platinum Poster
    Member #

Cheap scopes

I have had simmons and tasco that are great.. and some that were junk in a year.. it's poke a hope with them.. Proven is better..
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #

Cheap scopes

I have had very good luck with Simmons scopes.

I do not know what model they use on the "package gun deals". I'm sure it is a very cheap scope.

The Aetec line has huge eye relief, and the pro-hunters seem a good value (for an inexpensive scope).

Corbi

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Cheap scopes

I have felt like the fixed power Leupolds were"bargain" scopes in terms of what you get for the money. They're compact, strong, light, and have as much or, usually, more eye relief than other makes and models. I long ago learned that 3" might be okay for some optics, but on rifles intended for big game hunting, (that is rifles which recoil plenty), there is nothing like having enough. Nothing wastes mental concentration and focus like being kissed or blessed by a scope. That is not one of the secrets of good shooting. I wouldn't even consider one of the cheap brands of scopes to have any worth unless I had previous experience with the exact model and knew otherwise.
    45-70, 350 NorthFork 45-70, 350 Speer 30 WCF, 170 Core-Lokt

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Cheap scopes

Simmons does have some good top end scopes. I have had a few and guess they worked ok for what they were.

Most combos I have seen mounted in house, by the big box stores, are usually not fastened down properly anyway. They don't think Locktite is important and don't have a good screwdriver budget.

Take the package deals with a grain of salt. Sometimes if they are properly nounted, they will suffice at least until you can get a good glass.
    Regards
    Bestboss
    I have given up reality for Lever actions, Jeeps and have a wife that understands. It's a better world!
    Team 30-30 #236. Team 1894 #187.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Cheap scopes

I've got a .270win that came from walmart with a simmons 3-9x on it, your basic Savage package. Scope worked well until the day I switched it out for a better/more powerful one. The simmons did the job but the optics werent nothin' to brag about. Eye relief was average I suppose.
    quot;Salvation is of the Lord" Jonah 2:9

Member #

Cheap scopes

I was out checking scopes tonight and there is quite a difference. My Leupold and Zeiss have about 4-6 inches of eye relief vs the 1-1.5 inches of the Simmons. I had never in my life had scope eye until yesterday. I have not talked to my friend yet to see if he got another scope or not. I bet that $200 for a good scope is cheaper than an emergency room visit for stiches
    IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KILLED IN ACTION 23 APR 07, AGE 19, MUQUDADIYAH, IRAQ.

Member #

Cheap scopes

I bet that $200 for a good scope is cheaper than an emergency room visit for stiches
    Geesh, come on, Big Medicine....don't you get the professional courtesy discount in the ER?? :lol:

Member #

Cheap scopes

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger480
    I bet that $200 for a good scope is cheaper than an emergency room visit for stiches
    Geesh, come on, Big Medicine....don't you get the professional courtesy discount in the ER?? :lol:
    I wish I did. This past spring I ended up in the ER. I got off duty from the ER at 0700 and by 0900 was in getting me face sewed up after I took a tumble chasing down a turkey. I hit an old woven wire fence about shin high, went airborne, came down and split me head open just above the right eye from the receiver on my shotgun. Good thing for insurance

My buddy sewed me up. I remember laying there and he says...I just want to get this to go together good, because if I have to look at it everyday for the rest of my life, I don't want to be thinking I could have done a better job :lol:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links