Dad, shoot the squeaky one!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Dad, shoot the squeaky one!

Site Contributor - Team Marlin Express Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Today I had one of greatest days at the range that I have ever had. I went out to shoot some targets for Ranch Dogs Postal Match. My son who is 3 wanted to go along. Man talk about fun!! He took his little double barrel and carried it as we put up targets just in case we saw a moose or a bear! :lol: He also carried the targets and handed them to me to put up. Then he carried the shot targets back. We talked about deer, moose, bears, birds, ect, ect. We even talked about the pile of coyote poop and just why the coyote pooped on the range. He sat there with his ear muffs on right behind me when I shot and helped to pick up brass. I must have scared him once when he was taking a drink of his juice, because he told me "Dad, dont shoot when I'm taking a drink" Then he said "OK dad you can shoot now." I felt like the king of the world holding his hand as we walked down to check and replace targets, listing to him tell me he would shoot the bear if it came out from the plum thicket. :shock: The 45LC shoot ok. I think it would have done better had I not been laughing half the time. It is pretty hard to get a good hold while laughing. At 100 yards we have a steel gong hanging up. He likes to hear the squeaking noise it makes as it swings back and fourth after you hit it. About every other I shot he would say "dad shoot the squeaky one."
    IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KILLED IN ACTION 23 APR 07, AGE 19, MUQUDADIYAH, IRAQ.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Big Med, a classic to be sure! I hope this is the beginning of many more rewarding outings with your son.
    Trust me...they grow up very fast...

Watch them, and spend as much time as you can...you wont regret :lol:
    eadEye

Gun Wizard
    Member #

big medicine -

They grow up WAY too fast, so enjoy them while you can! The time you spend with them at this age is so very important in determing how they turn out as adults.

Am looking forward to taking Daughter #2 to the range Saturday. SHe'll be shooting the .45-70 with my plinker loads and my "new" .257 Roberts with 75g/3600fps loads. Daughter #3 doesn't go very often, but her favorite gun is my Kimber .45. Of course mine are a bit older than yours - #3, my youngest, graduated high school in December and starts college next fall. Lordy, it seems like yesterday when all three daughters and I would go up in the mountains to shoot when the wife was out of town on business - they were alll in grade school then.
    Coyote Hunter - NRA Life, Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!
    Team 375 Member #77
    Team 30-30 Member #1186
    Team 45-70 Member #1513

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #

Removed by Martin

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Thanx for the smile this morning! Betcha that 3yr old outshoots you in no time.

My oldest son is 14 and is now shooting centerfire for only a year because he was too intimidated by the loudness....even with muffs. He wanted to hunt deer this past fall in the special youth hunt weekend. I told him he'd have to face the .270 and shoot an [email protected] group. He'd never shot it even with all my encouragement. So I sat him down on the ground (no bench!) and he shot a nice tight group with it. His first shot he looked at me with huge eyes and hollered, "that thing kicks like a mother". It was way off to the left by 3"....then he settled down and shot a sub-MOA group.

It'll make ya proud, that's for sure!

Perferator
    quot;Salvation is of the Lord" Jonah 2:9

Site Contributor - Team Marlin Express Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

He is already asking me this morning if we can go shooting today. Well...I dont want to disappoint the kid I know what you guys mean about them growing up too fast. I dont know where the last 3 years have gone. I do know one thing, I dont want to waste a minute of it.
    sti40edge likes this.
    IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KILLED IN ACTION 23 APR 07, AGE 19, MUQUDADIYAH, IRAQ.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Took my oldest son (just turned 15) to the NRA range in the fall to sight in the 30-30. I was afraid he wouldn't like it. He had a ball! Shot under 1" groups at 50yds off the bench. Sunday we are going to a local gun show.
    - -
    VA_HUNTER

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Man I remember those days.My youngest is fourteen and bigger than me,but he is still my baby.We don't hold hands anymore but we do have our shoot-outs and he is the first one to the target to see if he out shot dad.When I am working up a load he sits in the truck listening to his hip hop bologna while I shoot but he is there, and loves to shoot.If anyone uses head phones it's me so I don't have to listen to that crap while shooting.
    My other three boy's are still trippin and don't take the interest they used to.But they have the knowledge and will be back one day a shooting.My 34 year old daughter loves to shoot more than her brothers other than my baby that's 14.

Enjoy as they seem to grow up to quick.

Best of luck.Jayco.

P.S.Coyote-I hope you take it better this year when your daughter out shoot's you again.Last year,well I don't think you ever recovered. :lol:
    Howdy Boys.

Deadeye
    Member #

Removed by Martin

Anonymous

Franky Who?I'm more Brookes and Dunn-Toby and Hank Jr.Man you must be old!!
    It happens to the best of yooz oldies but goodies.

Jayco.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links