School me on sights for my Winny 94
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: School me on sights for my Winny 94

Wrangler
    Member #

School me on sights for my Winny 94

Just picked up a Winchester model 94. I dont like the side scope mount so thats going away, but I cant pick up the front post as quickly as I would like, so I want to add some fiber optic sights to it. Whats everyones opinion on Wlliams Sights? Good enough quality? I am considering a receiver mounted peep sight and front fiber optic...thought? Should I just get a fiber optic "U" for the rear to go with the fiber optic front instead?

Concerning installation, is it difficult to remove the sights from the dovetail? Do I need a special sight mover/smith to do it for me?

Thanks for any input!

RGR
    Distinguished Master
    Fallon NV, Home base of TOPGUN, and other NAVY bad guy headaches.
    Member #
    I am not a fan of the plastic glowing sights, but too each his own. Far as taking the old ones out, drive them out too the right, as the muzzle is pointing away from you, and drive them in too the left. Not all newer guns even use a tapered dovetail, but its a good rule to follow.

Depending on the factors, they may be a tighter than a bulls butt in fly time, and a good vice with fiber or hard wood jaws and brass drift will be needed, or they may near fall out. Only way to tell will be to try.
    shawlerbrook likes this.
    Does it occur to those that believe that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, may be because that guy takes the time to take care of his grass?

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Here's an iron sight primer put together by Erik (Eli Chaps) https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/si...ts-primer.html If you have a wife or a daughter, you might pick their most garish colored nail polish and put a little dab on that front sight! John
    shawlerbrook likes this.
    "Windage and elevation, Mrs Langdon. Always remember, windage and elevation!" John Wayne as John Henry Thomas in The Undefeated

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    You can get glow in the dark paint on ebay. I bought a bottle and the stuff is great. I also put a cut-away front sight hood and Williams peep on my custom built Win 94 Trapper and love the setup. The cutaway hood always light to get to the luminous paint and the sight is extremely visible. I agree with RGR 100% on the fibre optic sights. They look nice, but are not durable at all.
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shawlerbrook View Post
    You can get glow in the dark paint on ebay. I bought a bottle and the stuff is great. I also put a cut-away front sight hood and Williams peep on my custom built Win 94 Trapper and love the setup. The cutaway hood always light to get to the luminous paint and the sight is extremely visible. I agree with RGR 100% on the fibre optic sights. They look nice, but are not durable at all.
    Understandable, Ive just gotten used to having them on my turkey gun, and can pick up on them very well. Durability wise are you referring to the actually fiber optic piece or the housing? Or are you referring to Williams Sights in general? Ive never used them before, so I dont know what the opinion on them is.

Thanks

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Just refering to the fibre optic insert. I like Williams sights. I also have Tru Glo sights on my turkey shotgun. If they made a fibre optic sight that was as durable as standard sights, I'd be sold.
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shawlerbrook View Post
    Just refering to the fibre optic insert. I like Williams sights. I also have Tru Glo sights on my turkey shotgun. If they made a fibre optic sight that was as durable as standard sights, I'd be sold.
    Ok good to know. Im somewhat rough with my turkey and (knock on wood) havent busted it yet, so hopefully Ill be fine. (its not permanent by any means so cant hurt to try).

Now just need to figure out if I want the "U" rear or a receiver peep style (never shot a gun w/ this type of sight)

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I don't use the fiber optic front sight, using instead a Marble's gold bead, and a Williams FP on my Winchester M94.

The receiver sight is far superior to the semi-buckhorn. You don't cover so much of the target up and the sight radius is lengthened considerably, both of which will help you place your shot much better.

This combo has sent many a bambi to the big clover patch in the sky. I apologize in advance for the picture quality.

dhansen likes this.

RGR
    Distinguished Master
    Fallon NV, Home base of TOPGUN, and other NAVY bad guy headaches.
    Member #
    What iron sights are best, or worst, the discussion has been going on for as long as they have been rifles. Its a rather individual thing, a lot depending on the sun and terrain a guy hunts or shoots in. Looks like pretty neat bambi woods there in the picture for sure.
    Does it occur to those that believe that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, may be because that guy takes the time to take care of his grass?

Wrangler
    Member #
    So for a hunting rifle, what's more practical the Williams FP or 5D?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links